Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a suggestion for replacing the rear peephole sight to something better? I've tried to locate a rear sight with a smaller hole, for the 100 yd range. As it is, I see the whole target plus some, so it's hard to group well. I'd rather not go to a scope.

·
Registered
41 Posts
KC,
I've not used one but the Millett is supposed to be a good replacement.

The size of the peep is not as important as getting the front sight centered and concentrating on it. I get my best results by focusing on the front post, letting the target blur, and squeezing trigger. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you have a Ranch Model, the Williams "WGRS" receiver sight works well. Get a Brownells Catalog ( 641-623-4000 ), also you can order the apertures separately. The .050 is a bunch smaller than stock.

·
Registered
61 Posts
On this subject. Does the distance between your eye and the rear sight affect your accuracy?

For example:
When your eye is 4" from the rear sight, there is a bigger circle involved in adjusting to the front blade.
When your eye is 6" from the rear sight, the circle decreases, thus giving you less "play" in your accuracy...in theory.

I don't know. Just food for thought. I guess what is most important is finding what is most comfortable.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Mr rezman is a sharpshooter, I can tell from his comments, I was taught to shoot in the Marine Corp with the M14. Using the peep sight at 200 yd to 500yd. it was all the same; the perfect sight picture is bullseye blurred, front sight blade in sharp focus at bulls 6:00, rear peep blurr with blade centered. Also don't hold your breath more than 2 or 3 seconds, and squeeze the trigger. At 500 yds. I can see several adjacent targets besides mine thru the peep. So it dosen't matter the size of the peep as much as the sight picture. You might try marking your shot on a small note book, where you believe your shot went, before checking. This will tell you if you are moving, flenching, etc. It works for me. It also sounds like you may be moving your head around fwd., and aft. It is very important to develope a natural, and consistant spot weld (cheek weld) with the stock inorder to be consistant in hitting the target. It takes some practice.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't have my armorer's manual sitting in front of me, but there is a replacement factory peep that is blank. You can drill it to whatever size aperture that you like. Shoot Ruger a call, and I'm sure they will be happy to mail you one. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
cajungeo,

thanks for the compliment. not military myself but I was taught by family members who were taught in the same school on the same weapon system as you were.

to everyone else, try it, it works.

myself, I can hit as well with peep as I can with a scope from field positions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts