Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best peep sight for a mini 14? The Tech sight looks good, is it a good choice? I'd also like to co-witness this gun, any suggestions there?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I think tech sight is the only after market option, and I've heard nothing but great things about them.
You're not going to be able to co witness a mini... Edit: unless you put it in an Archangel stock or something similar.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Never tried Tech so I can't comment on good or bad but i have Williams sights and they work fine for me. Just an option that works for some of us if for some reason you don't like Tech or can't get them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have Tech Sights on all of my Ranch Rifles and Mini-14's. They are a great upgrade from factory sights.

Is there a specific reason you need a co-witness? I use Amega Ranges scout mounts with an Ultradot mounted in Warne QD rings. If my red dot fails, I can very quickly remove it and go to irons.

I get a "lower 1/3 co-witness" on my AK's using Mojo rear sights and UltiMAK scout mounts with Ultadot's in Warne QD's, and it's not really that useful to me.
Do you have a picture of that set up? I just want the option to use open sights for close targets and a scope out past 100 yards. I guess a 3 or 4x red dot might be an option.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry guys, I don't have an answer but I AM going to show my ignorance. What is co-witness ?
It is the ability to look through your optic and iron sites simultaneously. Comes in handy if your optic craps out on ya at the worst possible moment.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I use Weaver see thru's.... front sight is slightly obstructed from the mount screw ... and a Nikon P223 3x9 bdc 600... irons set, and go from 0-75 yds... Nikon BDC from 100-430 yds... tested and approved.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it looks like it can be done. Interesting, I think the Tech sight and those Weaver see through sights might be the way to go. I assume there is a special base to mount them to the Ruger mounts?

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Weaver part number is 49723, I got them through Brownell's. They mount directly to the Ruger receiver. Pics show a modification to the front mount, I ground the front edge off, so I'm able to remove the front handguard. (without removing the scope) and to the ejection side edge of the front mount. I was noticing marks on the mount from spent brass hitting it. So, to keep in the tradition of throwing brass the full 20 yds, I knocked off the edge. I should also say, you can remove the bolt with the scope on the reciever, and with the edge off the front, AFTER you remove the receiver from the stock, the front handguard will "roll" out from under the scope. Really the only down side, is the front pin is half obstructed by the screw that mounts the rings. As seen in pic. However if you sight the irons, with the target ON TOP of the pin... it all works out... your only sighting for 50 yds, beyond that, the front pin/blade is too fat for accurate target sighting in my opinion... beyond 50, bump up to the crosshairs.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.