Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So I was wondering I had purchased a use mini 14 from lgs it was according to the box made in October of 2012 it is a stainless ranch rifle with the synthetic stock. I have not had a chance to shoot it much since we only had one or two warmer days this winter. I noticed the rear peep sight is almost fully raised. I was wondering the best way get the elevation set correctly? The rifle will be used primarily for pest control at a range out to about 150 feet. Sorry if this comes across as a dumb question but I am quite new to shooting a rifle.

Thank You

·
Registered
397 Posts
Start with reading the manual and learn how the gun operates. The sighting system is all explained in there. Learn how to field strip and the maintenance required on the gun. Depending on your situation always use/practice safe gun handling and storage! There is a lot of information on this site so read and ask questions. Be careful and welcome to the site.

Ruger New Mini-14 Ranch Serial Number History

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your words of Wisdom oh great Guru

Start with reading the manual and learn how the gun operates. The sighting system is all explained in there. Learn how to field strip and the maintenance required on the gun. Depending on your situation always use/practice safe gun handling and storage! There is a lot of information on this site so read and ask questions. Be careful and welcome to the site.

Ruger New Mini-14 Ranch Serial Number History
Oh let me see, I did read the Manual as with all fire arms I have ever owned! I did plenty of research on the Model long before making the purchase, The main reason I made the purchase was Rugers stellar customer service, Secondly the M1 Garrand action has been proven over and over. So my question was simply to ask approximately the change in point of impact per turn of the sight.

Depending on my situation always use paractice safe gun handling and storage, So what situaton would warrant unsafe handling? I was always taught that 1 always assume a gun is loaded, 2 Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all tme, 3 Always keep you hand off the trigger untill you are ready to intentionally discharge the weapon, 4 Always know your target and what is beyond, 5 Be sure of your back stop, 6 nevever place you hand in front of the buzzle period! I could go on But I will stop here.

Gee I think I will pass on asking any further questions here.

thanks for your response

·
Registered
298 Posts
With an intro like that, glenwatkins statement was reasonable.

That's too bad. I was going to add some info about your sight set-up, but now I think I'll pass...
I'd have to agree there. Nothing out of line at all. Especially since it clearly states in the manual, how to adjust the sights. glenwatkins even welcomed the newbee aboard. Really was no need for a smart ass reply like that.

There is lots of information here and many peeps that are willing to help someone out that is new to the Mini-14.

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
Oh let me see, I did read the Manual as with all fire arms I have ever owned! I did plenty of research on the Model long before making the purchase, The main reason I made the purchase was Rugers stellar customer service, Secondly the M1 Garrand action has been proven over and over. So my question was simply to ask approximately the change in point of impact per turn of the sight.

Depending on my situation always use paractice safe gun handling and storage, So what situaton would warrant unsafe handling? I was always taught that 1 always assume a gun is loaded, 2 Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all tme, 3 Always keep you hand off the trigger untill you are ready to intentionally discharge the weapon, 4 Always know your target and what is beyond, 5 Be sure of your back stop, 6 nevever place you hand in front of the buzzle period! I could go on But I will stop here.

Gee I think I will pass on asking any further questions here.

thanks for your response
What are you, a 14-year old gun enthuisast? The man gave you an answer that relates exactly to what you asked. Your response is immature and disrespectful. I think maybe you SHOULD pass on asking any further questions here.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
No need to wad up your undergarments...

Are you saying that rifle is zeroed and the rear peep is near the top of its adjustment range? Or are you saying it came out of the box that way and you want to zero your sights?

Sounds like Glen was thinking the latter was your situation, and was trying to help get you started, since you stated you are new to rifles.

However, if you've zeroed the iron sights and the peep is way high, you can always file a bit off the height of your front sight. Do it slowly so you don't have to bottom out your peep. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.