Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my computer a few months ago.Found this site and had to join.Anyway I bought my first Mini-14 and a half dozen ram-line mags .It is a ranch rifle with Ruger synthetic stock.I have only fired 600 rounds threw it and was wondering if anybody makes a better peep sight for it.Is anyone else finding that factory blade sight a little blurie or are my eyes just getting bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Bald Guy, this is Short Guy.....Check with Brownells they have an add on rear sight for the Ranch Rifle. Works kinda like the Garand rear sight. Haven't tried it but anything would be better than the origional. Also try Ashley Outdoors at www.ashleyoutdoors.com. They have a replacement aperture for the standard Mini and a ghost ring sight for the RR. Never understood Rugar for not putting a decent set of sights, and a little better barrel on his otherwise exceptional weapon system. It's fine as is out to 100yrds but could push AR's all over the block with those two changes. Also just buy some spray sight black for the front post. As far as our eyes goes that's a different ball game!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rear sight removal

I just purchased a scope rail for mini 14 (581) Can someone tell me how to remove the rear sight, Seems it has to be removed to install the rail

Thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just purchased a scope rail for mini 14 (581) Can someone tell me how to remove the rear sight, Seems it has to be removed to install the rail

Thanks
Unscrew the screw on the top of the rear sight and it will come right off. Prepare to use some blue lock tite on that scope rail or its not going to stay on there very long.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
I actually thought the rear sight on the newer 580 and up rugers were pretty good sights. I shoot pretty good with them and dont have any reason to change. I shoot good groups with my iron sights. Anyway thats my take. If I was gonna change anything it would be a thinner front sight.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey Bald Guy I have installed the M1 carbine sight both on my Mini 14 and Mini 30 and they work great, all that needs to be done is to remove the old sight and cut a small groove with a small round file or Dremmel tool in the center of the M1 sight to keep it centered. Complete instalation took about 5 minutes from start to finish. I posted the link to Brownells so you could check it out.

M1 CARBINE REAR APERTURE SIGHT - Brownells

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've been using the Ashley/XS ghost ring rear sight on my Mini's ever since they came out. There is only one allen head screw to remove and reinstall when swapping out the sights. They also offer a model that has a threaded aperture so that you can use a Williams adjustable aperture in it. Scroll down for the Ruger models.
XS Sight Systems - Sights

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for info and suggestions, My problem is can't see good enough for iron sights, So am going to have to put scope on it. Also only screw on top is sight adjustment I think
is this the one to come out for removal?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
832 Posts
I zeroed my iron sights on my mini when I bought it new a couple years ago. It took a lot of gyrations with my poor eyesight (late fifties) but I got it done. I sighted it for 100 yds. because anything past that would just be a blur. I do all my shooting with a Redfield 3x9x40 and it works great. You ABSOLUTELY have to use something on the threads to keep anything (rail/rings/scope mounting screws,etc.) tight. The above poster is right. Even the Ruger rings need it. I use clear nail polish.

fishslayerbob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts