Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Libertarian
295 Posts
So they want my gun to only work for me huh? SO when Im out of town and my wife and baby are at home and some bad guy(s) come in my family will be defenseless because Im not there to operate the guns? Hogwash.

The tiny fraction and I do mean microscopic fraction of accidental firing pales in comparison to the accidental issues with knives, blunt objects, cars, etc yet no legislation to "save one life" for those. Hogwash!

I grew up with guns all around and NOT ONCE did I lay a finger on one without permission. Not once did the loaded gun in the corner accost anyone or cause a death. This government needs to stop blaming and making the responsible pay for the irresponsible.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The comments at the bottom surprised me for a CNN audience. They were being added at 1 per second, and all but two of the ~ hundred I read were pro 2A and called Frum on his "feel good ignorance". Perhaps the anti-gun issue has "awakened the sleeping giant", even among many Democrats.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have always been open about being a Democrat and even considering myself to be very liberal. I think these issues go beyond being either. Half the crap he is talking about is total crap. In CA we already have loaded chamber indicators and a drop safety test.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have always been open about being a Democrat and even considering myself to be very liberal. I think these issues go beyond being either. Half the crap he is talking about is total crap. In CA we already have loaded chamber indicators and a drop safety test.
Ruger makes the loaded indicators and magazine disconnect, per CA law, on the LC9 (and probably others). Sadly, looks like the rest of us are already being dictated to by anti-gun state laws.

·
Registered
663 Posts
All the LCI and similiar devices like it do is lull people into a false sense of safety. LCI or not, you should always visually check the chamber by opening the slide and looking through the ejection port when handling an autoloading firearm.

Even with all the safety crap some states require, it doesnt change the fact that a firearm needs to be treated with respect.

Personally, I believe there would be less accidents without all the safety crap on the firearms. People would be required to be more aware around them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
All the LCI and similiar devices like it do is lull people into a false sense of safety. LCI or not, you should always visually check the chamber by opening the slide and looking through the ejection port when handling an autoloading firearm.

Even with all the safety crap some states require, it doesnt change the fact that a firearm needs to be treated with respect.

Personally, I believe there would be less accidents without all the safety crap on the firearms. People would be required to be more aware around them.
I agree fully......the more the gov't tries to mandate "safety" devices, the more the public feels they needn't pay attention. It's the same with cars. I guess the "ultimate" safe weapon would be "semi-auto-pilot," instead of just the plain ol' semi-auto. :wacko:

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
I agree fully......the more the gov't tries to mandate "safety" devices, the more the public feels they needn't pay attention. It's the same with cars. I guess the "ultimate" safe weapon would be "semi-auto-pilot," instead of just the plain ol' semi-auto. :wacko:
Hi Harper;

+1 for the link. Interesting read.

The way I read it there was an explicit subtext which was that gun ownership needed to be restricted and here was a laundry list of ways it could be done. The "smart gun" fiasco waiting to happen is just one of 'em. All I see it doing is driving up the price of new sidearms while presenting an opportunity for the gun grabbers to outlaw all those "unsafe old guns". Both of which very much are goals of the enemy.

None of the "gun safety" plans would actually increase safety, and the grabbers seem to tacitly admit that. Bluntly their goal is a gun free society, not because "its safer" but as a matter of almost religious conviction.

Gun grabbing is like a cult and the adherents will never cease their attacks or faithfully keep any compromise, so we must never offer them one. It really infuriates me when I read reports that there is a compromise on "universal checks" in the works....:angry:...time for another letter to the congresscritters.

Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Politians are really upset because they can't rig a good situation to convince the populous that we are better off without all these semi auto weapons. Yes they need plan B, the last school shooting looked too fake and backfired on the expected response. We know the world is basically evil, you have to fight for all things good and protect your home and family, raise them safely. We are not ok with rape, theft, illegal activity. Let good men band together and ask for justice, if we are denied, we take arms and claim it!!

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys wanna talk about too many safeties being a danger? I recently bought a Phoenix Arms hp22.(it was a hundred bucks and i had giftcards) Hammerblock safety on the slide. Trigger safety on the grip. Safety on the grip also requires safe to be on to drop the mag but you cant rack the slide to clear the chamber if the safety is on. You also cant take it off safe if the mag is not in the weapon. So clearing the chamber with a full mag is almost impossible.

But this is what you get when you were a ring of fire manufacturer and still wanna not only sell ur product in CA but make it there too:lol:

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
You guys wanna talk about too many safeties being a danger? I recently bought a Phoenix Arms hp22.(it was a hundred bucks and i had giftcards) Hammerblock safety on the slide. Trigger safety on the grip. Safety on the grip also requires safe to be on to drop the mag but you cant rack the slide to clear the chamber if the safety is on. You also cant take it off safe if the mag is not in the weapon. So clearing the chamber with a full mag is almost impossible.

But this is what you get when you were a ring of fire manufacturer and still wanna not only sell ur product in CA but make it there too:lol:
Hi whofarted;

I don't know Kali law that well, but would it be possible to (for personal use only) lawfully remove the unwanted safety devices? Or would it be a massive legal/liability sink hole?

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi whofarted;

I don't know Kali law that well, but would it be possible to (for personal use only) lawfully remove the unwanted safety devices? Or would it be a massive legal/liability sink hole?

All the best,
Grumpy
I know how to defeat all the safeties to make it operate as a normal pistol.Its a couple of snips and I can buy replacement parts for a few bucks to keep from voiding the warranty... ..Phoenix Arms went overboard and overcompensated due to their past reputation.

but .. im not sure if thats what you are getting at..

Dont quote me.

I am pretty certain all the safety laws are for new sales only. To make CA's DOJ roster of safe handguns. If i were to alter the weapon I dont think I would have any liability unless I did something incredibly stupid to it.
To add to that if you brought your off roster handguns into the state when you moved here you would just have to register them with the state just like any other handgun legally purchased here. At that point I believe you could even PPT them. Since technically everything eventually falls off roster.

This of course is assuming the weapon hasnt already been listed as evil under our AWB by name or feature.

Did my babbling answer your direct and indirect questions???

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
I know how to defeat all the safeties to make it operate as a normal pistol.Its a couple of snips and I can buy replacement parts for a few bucks to keep from voiding the warranty... ..Phoenix Arms went overboard and overcompensated due to their past reputation.

but .. im not sure if thats what you are getting at..

Dont quote me.

I am pretty certain all the safety laws are for new sales only. To make CA's DOJ roster of safe handguns. If i were to alter the weapon I dont think I would have any liability unless I did something incredibly stupid to it.
To add to that if you brought your off roster handguns into the state when you moved here you would just have to register them with the state just like any other handgun legally purchased here. At that point I believe you could even PPT them. Since technically everything eventually falls off roster.

This of course is assuming the weapon hasnt already been listed as evil under our AWB by name or feature.

Did my babbling answer your direct and indirect questions???
Thanks much whofarted;

Yes, you really did. It seems like California is the basis for the upcoming legal efforts in the rest of the country and I am trying to understand them/work against them in advance as best I can.

I am still in amazement though at some of the proposals I have heard recently - a 500 cartridge possession limit would make California more restrictive than Japan in that regard (they have an 800 ctg limit on powder type ammo), and the restrictions on detachable box magazine rifles would make them more strict than Canada.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This will give you a quick heads up.

CA Legislative Info

Further than that you are gonna wanna keep an eye on Calguns.net 2A forums. I know I should be more active there but I feel more comfortable here with you old farts. Ive never really been a black rifle guy.

I think NY is the state to watch right now.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
This will give you a quick heads up.

CA Legislative Info

Further than that you are gonna wanna keep an eye on Calguns.net 2A forums. I know I should be more active there but I feel more comfortable here with you old farts. Ive never really been a black rifle guy.

I think NY is the state to watch right now.
On the enforcement end I fully agree - NY is the "test case". Will people register? How will they react to a strict enforcement regime?

In some ways though, Colorado is the test case for "can we get gun laws to pass in a normally gun-friendly state". Unfortunately it sounds like the answer is "yes" and that bodes ill for the rest of the country, even nominally pro-gun enclaves.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Libertarian
295 Posts
On the enforcement end I fully agree - NY is the "test case". Will people register? How will they react to a strict enforcement regime?

In some ways though, Colorado is the test case for "can we get gun laws to pass in a normally gun-friendly state". Unfortunately it sounds like the answer is "yes" and that bodes ill for the rest of the country, even nominally pro-gun enclaves.

All the best,
Grumpy
To all those who said move to a conservative/gun friendly state:

IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU TOO!

Sad for the people and despite losing millions of dollars in jobs and so on they want to push the laws through. These politicians sure have the people in mind dont they...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.