Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several posts in here about taking poor quality generic mags and building them into nice ones. I went to Brownell's website and located some Ruger factory followers and some Wolf springs. However, it was stated that the followers were for Series 187-188 and 181-186 Mini 14's. This is a bit confusing to me. Will these same followers not work in a newer rifle, for instance a 196 series? If not, is there another site where I can find factory followers that will work?
Also, has anyone here had personal experience rebuilding these mags? I have never performed much maintenance on mags before and I assume you just pry up on those little pieces of metal holding the floorplate in place, remove the floorplate and slide out the mag's contents. Is this the correct procedure?
And finally, what type of mag is best suited for this project? USA, Triple K, Western, etc? Also, what has been your success rate with these re-built mags? Are they pretty reliable or still junk? I will attempt such a build here in the near future and I will post how it turns out as well as a step by step procedure for doing so, that way other folks like me won't have to experiment when they undertake the same mission, hehe! Please post any info here that might be helpful. Thanks.

op-rod

·
Registered
716 Posts
NO! :eek: Do not bend those little tabs up to remove the floorplate! There is typically a small hole in the bottom of mag floorplates. Insert a small screwdriver and set the mag (front side down) on a table or something, hanging over the edge. Gently tap the screwdriver on the side of its shaft downward, so that it pushes the floorplate downward (you may need three hands to do this (or use a vise lightly). Sometimes you don't have to tap at all - just apply force on the screwdriver in the right direction and the plate will slide.

After you get past the lip or tab that holds the floorplate in place, should easily SLIDE forward, exposing the spring and follower. WATCH OUT! The spring is usually under tension and could come flying out if you aren't careful. Hard to describe. But the floorplate will slide underneath those tabs. No need to pry anything. If you are, you're doing something wrong.

Factory Ruger 5-rounders have a metal insert above the floorplate that actually locks that plastic floorplate in place. So with the Factory 5-rounders, you use a screwdriver to push and release a little latch mechanism through the hole. Then the floorplate slides backward. I doubt any of the after-market mags have this feature.

·
Registered
685 Posts
good thing you cought that one, it could have been bad for the tabs.;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, really glad he caught that! LOL! Guess it would have served me right for being such a moron in the first place. But like I said I know zilch about stuff like that. At least I learned without suffering the agony of defeat. I have almost decided to just give up on trying to fix junk mags anyway. Instead I think I'll just stock up on Masens and PMI's as funds allow. I figure that I can get those for about $30-40 each, where fixing the junk mags was going to cost about $23 each. Might as well get something that works right to start with and can be trusted. But I may fix up one or two for fun and if they turn out good, might do some more.......hey, there's an idea for a business. Have a company with a reputation like Wilson Combat take a bunch of Triple K, Western, USA and Victor mags and build them into good ones! We should write them with this suggestion. Talk about a market! Mini owners would be drooling like my bull mastiff!

op-rod

1 - 4 of 4 Posts