Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank's for the replys guys on the Mini-14, Tasco red dot etc.

I have not yet decided if I will keep my Mini-14 or sell it and buy an M1A scout to keep my standard M1A company. I am thinking about making my standard M1A a dedicated long range rifle. I am partial to short carbine type rifles and like the short handiness of the scout M1A and the fact that it is 308 vs 223. Mini-14 magagzines are hard to come by and very expensive. The barrels are very poorly made. My thought is if i am going to put some $ into the mini-14, I might as well buy the M1A scout and just shoot M1A's and 308.

It seems like a lot of people in general are shooting 223 type rifles, carbines etc., but research indicates that the 223 is questionable for brute stopping power. ?????

Any thoughts on my situation guys?

:ar15:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
If it were my nickle, I'd keep the mini, tune it for $70, get some John Manson 10rd mags (or PMI 20-30rd mags if you didn't live in the calif). It is cheap to shoot, you can hunt yotes in the desert, with it. The .308 is an excellent for deer. What kind of brute were you hunting for?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would keep the Mini, several reasons:

1. it is much cheaper to shoot, and nice to have at least one .223 weapon. Living in LA will keep you from buying anything more than 10 rnds regardless the rifle you shoot. M1A hicaps can be costly too, not to mention that only GI's work good in them. You already may have that under control any way, still having one .223 just for the heck of it cant hurt.
2. The aprox. $300-400 that you can sell it for will only make a small dent in the $1500.00 you will need to have for the scout.
The scout is still a heavy rifle, and if you are out shooting "yotes" the mini will be much easier to tote around.
3. If I were to approach the idea of a .308 M1A, I would buy a receiver for about $400.00, and build it as you can, that way you can keep the mini.

just my thoughts

·
Registered
279 Posts
The M1A is and should never be compared to or mentioned in the same sentance as the ........... Dont get me wrong I love my Ruger but a moment of silence for names like Garand and Hathcock shoud befall us every time we say those letters and numbers in order.:usa:

Please be mindful that we are talkin Corvairs and Ferraris here. the only similarities are that thet both have rear engines.

We would all love a Ferrari but can we really afford the gas.

·
Registered
427 Posts
blzn69,
I say it's good to diversify. Both .308 and .223 are standard military, so they'll always be plentiful.

Here's something to consider. How quickly can you reacquire target with a .308 vs a .223? I'd like some trials on a moving target, but that's a little difficult to arrange. Hmmm, maybe a target painted on a tire. Release it remote-controlled down a hill, and sight-pow-sight-pow-sight-damn! Kinda like shooting at a running yote!

:D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lets start with the two things it does well. It shoots streight, and the US made ones are durable.

Now for the things I don't like. Most M1A's don't have a pistol grip, and if you can find a pistol grip stock, the thing will cost you dearly - and most likely cannot be added to post ban rifles anyway. They don't have many accessories - actually I don't think they have any accessories. The good M1A's cost over $2,000 now - WAY TOO MUCH for a rifle that the US Military abandoned. You can spot an imported M1A 10 feet away from the rough milling marks left by Chinese factory workers. The M14's made poor machine guns because of muzzle climb, and the fact that it was uncontrolable.

The FAL is a better platform for a .308 battle rifle. They gas system is better designed. They are lighter (except heavy barrel versions) and more controlable. You can get them with a pistol grip, and in just about any configuration you can imagine. Pleanty of accessories. Pleanty of parts. The M1A is really nothing more than an old Garand.

Bottom line is - keep the Mini-14 and get a DSA FAL, if you want a good 308 shooter.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have recently gained a lot of respect for the 5.56mm cartridge. I have a good link for a lot of info on the cartridge.

5.56mm ammo FAQ

Read and enjoy. I think the Mini-14 is an excellent weapon. Don't sell it.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Thanks for the link Paul, it looks like interesting reading.

·
Registered
91 Posts
They are both good for different things. The .223 for low recoil, quick aquisition, plus you can carry piles and piles of ammo around with you. The .308 has alot better stopping power and range but is heavier both in rifle and straight ammo.
Although I don't own one, the M1A is a VERY nice rifle and, in my opinion worth every penny, but to each his own.
Personally if SHTF and I had to grab a rifle to run with, I'd leave my .223's and 7.62x39's behind and grab my HK91 and all the alloy mags that I could carry.
But in non-SHTF situations, I like to shoot them all.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you could have one AND ONLY ONE firearm when the SHTF, pistol, rifle, shotgun, etc., which one would you choose?

First, I would rule out a handgun - they are good for self protection, but not for hunting, or anything long range.

What about a shotgun. Maybe. I'd have a hard time giving up my USAS-12. It holds 20 rounds in the drums and 10 in the box mags, makes a good self-defense firearm, and could be used for hunting like any other 12 gauge. Ammo is cheap and readilly availiable. It's very well constructed, not prone to breakage, but parts are not readily available. Hmmmmmmm.

As far as a rifle goes, it would have to be either a .223 or .308. I think I'd pick a .223 over a .308. If things got really bad, total chaos, then I'd think you would be wise to pick a gun that holds the most ammo, and has parts and ammo readily available, and which is lighter to carry. For that matter, you might be wise to consider a .22 Rifle. It would be very cheap and easy to stockpile 100,000 rounds of 22 rimfire. But you'd be eating a lot of squirl and rabbit. I might still opt for the .223.

Ok, so for a rifle I'd pick a .223. But which one? Well, I guess I'd have to go with the industry standard - the AR15 - not because I particularly like it, but there are pleanty of mags and parts available, so if it broke or if I needed a new barrel, I wouldn't be SOL.

So, now it's between my USAS-12 and my AR15. Lets see, my USAS 12 holds 20 rounds per plastic drum. I have two drums and 3 box mags - total= 70 rounds ready to fire. I have two chicom mags for my AR15, and 10 40 round mags, which all work fine. Total rounds ready to fire=640 rounds.

Bottom line, if the SHTF I'd grab my AR15, spare parts, drums and stick mags. Now that I have pleanty of mags and parts, perhaps I should order up several boxes of 1000 cased ammo.

The AR15 might not be my favorite gun, but it would be the one I would grap if I had to choose only 1.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Would that I had an AR-15. Maybe next month I'll have a Bushmaster Varminter.

If I could take one and only one, [out of the guns I currently own], it would be my Mini-14. Can carry lots of ammo, I have many Hi-cap clips for it, it's light... Accurate enough. RELIABLE! Field-dress easy, simple operating mechanics. Strong construction. Gas port kit, adjustable trigger, double-muzzle brake, glass-bed, 4-9x40mm scope - can take a out man-sized sillohette at 150-200 yds no problem.

Second choice would be my Mini-Thirty. Same essentials as the Mini-14, but slightly heavier ammo, not as much has been done to this gun for accurizing. Harder to hold on target for successive shots.

Ruger 10/22 - exactly correct on the ammo - can carry tons of it, and at close range, a .22 is just as deadly since you can put a bunch of shots into a little spot really quick.

Benelli Montefeltro 12 gauge - last choice. Great for sporting clays or trap, but for survival - nah... No good at long range, very heavy ammo, heavy gun... no field dress. Yes, its very reliable, but shotguns during SHTF are really for close-quarter combat. Not likely to occur in my neck of the woods.

Bolt actions - have a couple, but as my ONLY gun... they are just not quick enough.

Pistols - Are you sure I can only have ONE gun?

·
Registered
91 Posts
As I said, in non-SHTF it depends on the alignment of the planets which ones will come out. I love them all for different reasons.

But in a case of invasion or civil unrest, the reason I'd take the HK, the wife, ammo/food/other stuff and head for the hills, is...
1. As an only weapon the HK could easily bring down anything that I need it too reliably at up to 400yds. or more.
2. I could carry every spare part that would ever be needed, firing pin, roller retainer, ejector, rollers and pins in my pocket.
3. The barrel was made for full auto, if I am nice to it, it should last several forevers.
4. Ammo doesn't weigh that much and that is why I brought the wife :)
Now for non-gun reasons...
1. I don't own a house or land, if they wanted to loot my apt. go ahead, I don't care, just wait till I'm gone.
2. We have Nat. Guard and regular Armed Forces to take care of things like this, I am relatively untrained and would most likley get in the way or get shot because I am carrying a rifle and ammo pouches all over me.
3. I am moving back to NC this month and the hills are nice!

Just my reasoning.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have to admit - the reason I got into Mini's is because I wanted a lighter weight, less expensive, cheaper amo version of an M1A :eek:
The 308 is a real man-killer and could also handle hard targets if needed (vehicles etc). (Read the M1A in Somolia post over in the M1A forum)
http://perfectunion.com/forums/showthread....s=&threadid=872

I've trained for one shot one hit capability - so the 308 is the way to go. The M1A is more accurate too, so those 400 yard shots are realistic.
:usa:
Lets be thankful we still have such choices!!!

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Ok its my turn. Having done a lot of backpacking in colorado, I know my backpack would weigh 35 lbs. You know; food, water, tent, sleeping bag, fishing tackle, firstaid, tools etc. The food will last me 6 days, by then I should be set up somewhere remote. I would take my mini-14, as it is lite, fast, can use military ammo, and it will take down a deer in a pinch. I can reload using all the Ar brass I find along the way. :D I can use the wheel weights from cars after they run out of gas. I would have stashes of powder, and primers. I could even reload primers if I had to. The only problem is if we don't see it comming, we won't have time to stash. Try to carry a 35 lb pack, 6 1/2 lb riffle, and how much does 1,000 rds of ammo weigh? :confused: Oh wait, I know! I would also get a horse to carry it all! :D An I wood has ta git out O hea, as doze skeeters wood suck me an de horse dry.:eek:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Blzn69,
First of all, I am a little west of you in Silverlake....I know this issue, as I have a Mini Ranch stainless, and am thinking about getting a M1A. I will never sell my Mini to buy a M1A however. The .223 round is effective enough for anything that I am likely to encounter. It's a great CQB rifle in my opinion, and I can hit a plate sized target at 100-130 yards with ease. Their are several different types of rounds for this rifle if you wish a bit more power! Try the SS109 rounds if you wish to shoot through cover etc. The M1A which I do like by the way, is a very expensive rifle. The .308 round is a brute to be sure, but as someone allready mentioned, it's harder to get back on target etc. I found them to be heavy, and the heat shield seemed a bit flimsy to me. If you want a cheaper upgrade, (that we can still own here in Cal) get an SKS. This 7.62x39 round (AK round) will offer you more bang for the buck! These rifles are cheap, and very good quality ones can still be found......High cap mini mags are very expensive, but good quality 10 rounders are everywhere. I will get the M1A one of these days. In the meantime, I feel very well equipped with my Mini 14.....:)

Larry:ar15:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cajun, like I said, that's why I'll be taking the wife along! I carry the MBR and supplies she covers me with her USP 9 Compact. I'll have my nice six mag ammo pouches on the front of me, and her packs front pouches could hold the rest of the loaded mags. You'd be surprised how much lighter the alloy mags are compared to steel ones. Plus, I'll be climbing hills not mountains. I think that I'd also jam the AR-7 .22 in the pack as well. That's my well thought out scenario of a crisis situation. Would there be that much time to plan? Hope so. Will it ever happen? Hope not.
I wonder why this subject comes up so much? Personally I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future, a whole lot of nothing happenes, or a whole lot of something.
I just like to think that I am preparred for either situation.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The only dilemma I would have would be to load up on ballistic tip for quick kills or ss109s for bullet proof jacket piercing. Either way the mini 14 is the gun I shoot the most so I would choose it for the simple fact that it feels like a part of my arm . My choice for shotguns would be harder, I have an older 870 Wingmaster that has been my favorite since 1976, bit I just bought a Browning Gold Hunter 3 1/2" auto loader. That is a choice I am glad I dont have to make for real right now.

·
Registered
134 Posts
5.56 is a MAN KILLER out to 200 yards and better. If you want to be a sniper you should consider .50 cal. in a fixed position. 7.62 is a battle rifle and 5.56 is a bush rifle. Take the right tool to do the job at hand. SHTF I am looking out for me and mine. I am not going into battle. I am going to evade and escape. I need to travel light and fast. Any of the 5.56 platforms would work fine. Use what you have and what works. For small game a Ciener .22 kit would work well. I have an AC-556 so that would be my best choice. If I get an AR-15 or M16 I might have to rethink it. Just my .02 and damn glad all we are doing is talking about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thats a very good point Paul556, there are to many yahoo's out there that think that with there MBR's and tactical gear that they will confront the enemy and kick there butt's and live to battle another squad of untrained troops. For about 95% of us out there, the "E&E" (evade and escape) is the only way we would servive an enemy invasion, traveling light on the run, or hiding, the .223 makes sence. I have freinds with AR's who like them, but wouldnt feel bad if there only rifle was a mini. AR's, like the mini can like, or dislike magazines, the one reason I chose the mini is its stone reliability, and its light weight. I love to play with things and make them better, mountain bikes, dirt bikes and guns, so spending some doe on my mini was already planned before I got it. I will also order the three blade front sight for my mini, just in case I had to shed the scope from breaking it, I might try the scout scope mount first with some sort of red dot system. I havent yet really seen any custom minis like that yet.

I had a M1A scout for a very short time, and it is a heavy gun, add some mags and ammo and it will be tuff to lug around, I figured that the M1A platform should stay with its long range abilities, (atleast for me) with some big bucks, they can be real tack drivers at very long ranges, I figure to long for me, so I will stick to the shorter range guns. I would like to some day trek into a sniper type, long range rifle, probably in a bolt gun.

When this post was started, it was mentioned that he already had a standard M1A, so the long ranges can be met, for shorter ranges the mini should be fine, you can always put a scout barrel on the M1A, actually, the scout is suppose to be real sharp out to 600 yards, the shorter barrel is not flexing as much as the longer barrel, (so they say) but the longer 22" gun is good to 1000 yards, who know's.:confused:

·
Registered
162 Posts
M1a very nice rifle,Mini 14 stainless also nice rifle,both have + and _,.308 cost more is heavy,recoils harder,but has more range and hitting power.The key for a if SHTF rifle is,can you hit what you are aiming at with it,and can you get the desired results you want.I would grab my model 70 Winchester feather wieght,with a Burris 3X9 compact scope ,lee load all kit in 223,some bullets,primers,and powder,and not look back,and yes its in 223.I want to be shooting the same as 75% of the rest of the remaining few are shooting.Aldo

1 - 20 of 98 Posts