Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Mini 14 Tactical. The one with the 16 inch long 1 in 9 twist barrel.

Which RCBS die is recommended. Small base, regular base. I'm confused. I've never loaded rifle bullets and there seem to be more decisions than with handgun bullets.

Any other pointers regarding loading .223 is appreciated.

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
The regular Full Length dies will work fine in your new Mini. The small base dies size the brass a little more than the regular FL dies. Not needed in the Mini as the chamber has plenty of "slop".

I'm not a fan of the RCBS dies ( I have many) especially since ATK (RCBS) is destroying perfectly good once fired military brass. If you want the best Full Length 223 dies for the money get a set of Forster BR dies.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RCBS Dies

The regular Full Length dies will work fine in your new Mini. The small base dies size the brass a little more than the regular FL dies. Not needed in the Mini as the chamber has plenty of "slop".

I'm not a fan of the RCBS dies ( I have many) especially since ATK (RCBS) is destroying perfectly good once fired military brass. If you want the best Full Length 223 dies for the money get a set of Forster BR dies.
Thanks for the heads up on the Forster dies. Do you have any other recommendations? I'm totally new to reloading 223.

I have an RCBS single stage press and have loaded several calibers of handgun ammo but no rifle ammo. Which case trimmer is good. What else would be good to have.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use RCBS, Hornady and Redding 223 dies. I think the Hornady are the best bang for the buck because of the floating seater. SB dies are not need IMHO.

I use trimmers made by Forster, Gracey and Dillon. The Forster is good for smaller quantities. The Gracey is good for high volume and can be swapped to different calibers cheap. The Dillon set up on a 650 with a case feed is hell on wheels for sizing and trimming by the hundreds. Caliber/cartridge swaps are not cheap.

I mount a power screwdriver on the Forster BTW.

Greg

·
Registered
276 Posts
I use the RCBS small base dies but regular full length will work for the mini. I use the small base because I load for a couple of AR's as well. I've never had any issues with the small base dies in the mini. This makes it nice to be able to load for all rifles with having to change any specs.

·
CantRe Member
612 Posts
I would just buy the small base dies

If you ever have a FTE, you'll always think it was because of the dies. Then you'll end up buying them anyways.

I bought RCBS SB die set in 1984, I've never had an issue.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I have never used the small base dies and I shoot my .223's out of 3 Mini's, 2 AR's and one bolt action. I use RCBS. I do like to use a neck die after full length resizing just to make sure the neck tension is good. I also do a neck crimp for the rounds that go into a semi auto. I use a trim die to set case length. kwg

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've had perfect satisfaction for many years loading ammunition for a Colt SP-1 using plain ol' RCBS .223 dies. Never bothered with small-base dies.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the Forster dies. Do you have any other recommendations? I'm totally new to reloading 223.

I have an RCBS single stage press and have loaded several calibers of handgun ammo but no rifle ammo. Which case trimmer is good. What else would be good to have.
I use the Lee trimmer stuff in a drill motor .

I have Lee , RCBS & Lyman dies . All my dies that I bought new are Lee .

They are cheaper and I like them , especially the carbide hand gun dies .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
4 Posts
RCBS 223 Die Problem?
I Have been reloading for about 20 yrs for the 22-250,243,7mm and the &mmRUM. I just recently started reloading for the .223. I am having a problem when I feed the bullet into the seating die. My other rounds have no problem self aligning the bullet when I go to insert them but the 223 dies will catch the point of the bullet and tear it up if I do not have it sitting exactly aligned with the shell.Like I said I do not have this problem with any of my other die sets. I am using flat base bullets right now but am thinking of trying boattails to allow the bullet to help self center. Any thoughts or suggestions.

·
Registered
289 Posts
RCBS 223 Die Problem?
I Have been reloading for about 20 yrs for the 22-250,243,7mm and the &mmRUM. I just recently started reloading for the .223. I am having a problem when I feed the bullet into the seating die. My other rounds have no problem self aligning the bullet when I go to insert them but the 223 dies will catch the point of the bullet and tear it up if I do not have it sitting exactly aligned with the shell.Like I said I do not have this problem with any of my other die sets. I am using flat base bullets right now but am thinking of trying boattails to allow the bullet to help self center. Any thoughts or suggestions.
Bevel the inside & outside of the mouth of the brass .

I have RCBS .223 dies around here , somewhere , but I ma pretty sure the seating die I am using is a Lee ?

Been a while since I have used flat base jacketed bullets in .223 . I am using Hornady 55 grain FMJBT bullets and 62 grain FMJBT pulls .

If you continue to have problems , Lee makes a universal expander die that you can use to slightly bell / expand the mouth of the brass . I use that for cast .223 bullets .

Some one makes a " M " die , Lyman I think , to achieved the same thing in a different way .

In either case , the crimp die will roll the brass back to where it needs to be .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
154 Posts
Need to chamfer the inside a little more,or just go a little slower when starting those little buggers which can be a pain if you have big fingers like mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
223 reloading dies

I have been reloading 223's for some time. I tried to run some cases thru my sizing die that were fired from AR15 but they are getting stuck. I use RCBS case lube and wonder if the AR15 is fireforming the cases so large they will not resize. Any suggestions. ? Thanks.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have been reloading 223's for some time. I tried to run some cases thru my sizing die that were fired from AR15 but they are getting stuck. I use RCBS case lube and wonder if the AR15 is fireforming the cases so large they will not resize. Any suggestions. ? Thanks.
They will size , do not worry .

You HAVE to lube bottle neck brass or it will STICK . I use the Lee lube . There are lots of case lubes . I suppose all of them work , some seem to work better , easier , simpler to clean up , etc .

·
Registered
4 Posts
223 sticking brass.

I have been reloading many different cal including comm 223 brass for years. I use a RCBS lube pad with RCBS lube and use RCBS brush to lube the inside of the neck. I even take a cotton swab and clean the inside of the die. Case goes in very tight and when I start to remove the case it sticks and pulls the rim off the case. Any ideas on different lube? the only cases I am having trouble with are the ones fired from AR15.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Millie, are you using the small base dies or the standard dies? I have a very tight Lyman resizer die that will occasionally stick a case with or without lube. I have never stuck a case with a standard (non small base) die by RCBS. I shoot and reload from 3 Mini's and two Armalite uppers. I try to make sure the lube is all the way around the neck and shoulders of the cases before they go into the dies. I use the RCBS pad and lube as well. I have never lubed the inside of a case. I have never needed to. I do make sure the cases are chamfered on the inside before resizing. kwg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts