Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Super fun time at the 100 yd Koko Head range today. Great conditions with moderate 10 to 12 mph winds coming at me from about 1 o'clock.... Nice & sunny.

I shot a variety of ammunition.

I got mostly two-and-a-half to three inch groups with the bulk Federal m193 ammo. I tightened it up a little bit better with the X Tac 62 grain green tip. And then got some really good groups with the Frontier ammunition. Almost got one group with the frontier at 1/2" MOA! 1ST three bullets were are actually touching.... then my flier.....
Federal match premium came in at 1.5"....

I'm very satisfied with my Mini-14 馃

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice job! Is yours a 580 series or is it earlier 181 series? With those groups, I'd guess its a 580 series
Yep, #5802 馃憤馃憤...and, I glass bedded at the receiver, I made sure all my gas block screws were evenly torqued, I've got the Accuracy systems harmonic Barrel stabilizer installed, a .050 gas Port bushing, Vortex Strike Eagle LPVO 1x8 on Seekins rings and a Matthew's fabrication cheek Riser... and a great trigger job from Carl at ASI 馃馃

Registered
Wow... any other mods to do that?? Or, straight stock and quality shooting?
No. No mods at all & using a wood stock mini 14 that was purchased new about 12 years ago. Using standard reloads with bulk 55 gn bullets. Doesn't happen all the time, but I do get pretty good groups most of the time. The sub moa is a rarity but I do get them occasionally. Average groups are around 2 to 3"

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No. No mods at all & using a wood stock mini 14 that was purchased new about 12 years ago. Using standard reloads with bulk 55 gn bullets. Doesn't happen all the time, but I do get pretty good groups most of the time. The sub moa is a rarity but I do get them occasionally. Average groups are around 2 to 3"
How are all of your stock parts holding up after 12 years? Have you replaced anything? New recoil spring/ new extractor... anything break?

Registered
How are all of your stock parts holding up after 12 years? Have you replaced anything? New recoil spring/ new extractor... anything break?
No, nothing has broken or been replaced. Wood stock is holding up good & still looks great but have only fired 800+ rounds through it during that time. Only thing I've done is replaced the Ruger heat shield with a Choate and placed a 1911 buffer at the non gas block end & it has held up well during that time. Also had one at the gas block end but it was starting to get beat up pretty bad plus I was concerned that with 2 on there it may cause cycling problems so I took the gas block one off. It's the 5843 stainless model I should mention too.

Initially was doing test firings with a few different powders, and even different bullet weights, to establish the best accuracy I could get while scoped, then removed the scope & placed a red dot sight on it & that's what I target shoot with it now, usually at 50 yds. I really like that firearm & it's a kick in the pants to shoot too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice shooting.
Thank you... I've shot pistols and shotguns for decades, but just recently got into rifles during covid. Rifles are now my favorite. Precision shooting is very fun and rewarding. I also have a .308 Ruger American Hunter and my goal is sub 1/2" MOA with that one... it consistently shoots less than 1.5" groups and I've had several .75" groups and a few .5" groups.... with the Mini-14, my goal is to have a few sub MOA groups, but to keep all shots at or under 2"... however, the more I shoot, the more I think it's ammo dependent.
My favorite group from yesterday was the 3" (5) shot fast fire group... thats more than satisfactory for what I need from my Mini-14.
My Mini-14 stainless steel Ranch is my all purpose rifle.... its got a beautiful 1791 leather sling, 1x8 viper lpvo and glass bedded wood stock.
My other 16" blued Mini-14 tactical is my "emergency " tool. I've got that one in a glass bedded Hogue stock with the new Hannibal rail and Vortex Viper that actually gives me a 1/3 iron sight co-witness.. my friend thought I was dumb for getting a 2nd Mini-14, and recommended that I get an AR- 15.... I wholeheartedly disagree for many reasons.... or, should I say "mini" reasons 馃ぃ馃ぃ

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts