Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our church has about 50% of its congregants as shooting enthusiast. Recent I bought a (U.S. 30 Cal.) M1 Garand to add to our club's enjoyment. I went through the field manual for all of the safety checks, then I wrote down all permutations and combinations of what NOT to do as well before I take the riffle to let others shoot it. (Members want to shoot it but hear of the undeserved reputation of the M1 as a thumb smasher.) Rather than hitting the clip release, I got the idea of trying to unload by operating the rod until the clip ran dry, and found that the extractor did not extract the round every time. (I presume that possibly the bolt did go completely forward because of the operator's resistance to the operating links as opposed to the bolt "going home" at full speed under spring pressure.) The net result is that a bullet is in the chamber, and another bullet tip is headed right for the primer if the operator lets go of the operating rod. Can the next round's bullet tip even remotely ignite the primer of a bullet in the chamber if the operator would try and pound the bolt carry closed as if it were an AR? [The natural man wouldn't do such a thing, but instead, look for the source of trouble by always pulling the bolt group back into locked position and ejecting the clip. I'm concerned about supervision or "qualifying" who may or may not shoot the M1, but I want to be certain of my answers and reasons that make sense why you do what you do.]

·
Draw, Varmint!
797 Posts
:rolleyes: Ahh, maybe you're just plain doing it wrong?

'To unload a clip, unload the round that is in the chamber as described above. When the operating rod reaches its rearmost position, hold it there. Place the palm of the left hand over the receiver and depress the clip latch (fig 54) with the left thumb, allowing the clip to be ejected up into the hand. Do not relax the rearward pressure on the operating rod handle until after the clip has been removed.'
M1 Garand Operating And Maintenance Manual

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.