Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my mini-14 ranch @ walmart with a bsa 3.4x12x50 scope.
put 700 rounds of wolf through it on metal gong targets at 100 and 200 yards the rifle stock with only a self done trigger job now hitting 2" boiler plate gongs @ 200 yards. aim small miss small.
I just recieved another order of wolf 62 gr ammo 2k rounds 99 bucks each 1000 rounds. @jgsales.com.

Note My fellow target shooter handloads and found that wolf ammo has only had a bullet seat difference from box to box of only .003 of an inch. I now am going to remove my scope to compete against the m1 garands and m1a at the next monthly
service rifle meets.
In the marines we shot the 223 at the 500,300 & 200 yards ranged targets. I will be shooting @ the 600, 300 and 200 yard when this next match comes up with open sights.
Does anyone make a rear sight replacment like that of the garand for the mini-14 ranch. I have just 3 1/2 weeks to get this done or i'll just rough it out with the stock rear sight.
The only marksmanship awards that i have ever been bestowed
was 2 sharpshooters badges and 5 expert badges from the corp.
Effective range of the m16 was 800 yards so i'm bettin the mini-14 ranch should handle 600 yards. Not to say I don't expect every round to keyhole from the 600 yard range.
Has anyone every dremeled out the rear sight of a stock mini-14 ranch before?
just curious.

:usa: :ar15:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hi Smithstoo, man you are ambitious to accomplish so much in so short of time! The mini isn't really noted for its accuracy, as it is for reliability, but we have tuned them to an acceptable limit. If you are hitting 2 inch targets consistantly at 200 yd. with a new mini, you are doing much better than most. Have you done anything to your mini, such as bedding the stock, hanging a muzzle brake on the end of the barrel?
When I was in the Corp, we used the m-14. Max effective range 500 yds. Are you shure about the m-16's Max effective range of 800 yds? If you are going to use the Wolf ammo, you might want to weigh, and seperate same weight bullets for tighter groups. There is a search button upper right hand of your control panel. I seem to remember several posts for m-1 / m-14 type sights for your ranch. I have a ranch, and yes you need to replace them if you can. I use a scope. Good luck on your match, and let us know how you did.

·
Registered
567 Posts
cajungeo
It's been a lot of years since this "Mud Sailor" was at Pendelton but as I remember the effective range for the M-14 was 800 yards. We shot 100 200 300 & 500 at the range for qualifying. I can't imagine the amount of sight ajustment you need to shoot an M-16 at 600 yards. I do know that if anyone can do it it'd be a Grunt.

Good shooting
Bushwack

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Dang it bushwack! Is my short term memory starting to go? Its only been 40 years! I can't believe It. You don't think they upgraded the range in the last 40 years do ya? I gots to check dis out!:confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is such a good ideal! Makes sense too....
From my book of knowledge (red Munster) essential subject handbook and even the old guide book for Marines the M16 A1
which fires a 5.56mm round has a maxium effective range of 800 meters. I remember shooting prone and off hand at the five hundred with sling at bravo targets (3/4 man size from the lower hip to top of head targets) I just hope that the .223 stays supersonic beyond the 600 meter point.
My mini-14 ranch rifle has only the self done trigger job. I posted how i did it over at the rugerforum gunsmith section for those interested. I will say i am really impressed with the resource of indepth real experince knowlege that has been posted on this board. from the barrel stablizer to the fitting of gas ring seals and shok buffers & how to glass bed are all truly first class. It is really nice to be able to talk with fellow mini-14 shooters and i hope to be a long time participant.
Semper Fi :usa:
bc_ca

·
Registered
567 Posts
cajungeo---I tip my cover to you. I hate it when my memory does that to me. At any rate 500 yards is a walk in the park for the M-14. I need a scope these days to shoot that far.

Good shooting
Bushwack

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to really tune up the
stock mini-14 trigger with just two items!
1. Q-tip (buyem at walmart)
2. Clove lapping compound. (#600 abrasive)
this is a fine abrasive (polishing effect).

I started by removing the whole trigger assy.
Once the trigger assy is out, take the time to action the trigger. Study it. How does it function, why is it so hard to pull and how where, what and when is it binding.
You should do this so you will always have a mental picture of where and what the trigger is doing as you are shooting the rifle.
Now this home tune up does not effect the takeup/setup play of the stock trigger.
I like it that way myself.
If that bothers you the most, then get a timmey trigger kit.
Now that you have actioned the trigger in you hands and understand what's going on it's time for the fix.
Action the trigger so that it is open.
Then place a nice glob of compound on both the inside catch of both mating areas.
With the q tip rub the surfaces of both areas as to your liking. This is polish so it takes quite a bit of time to start feeling any effect in the trigger's action after take up.
Now on mine, I could actualy feel the ridges
as the two mating surfaces slid to the break point. No amount of q-tip polishing was going to fix that.
so.... I thought why not let the two mating surfaces fix it for me.
I re-applied a glob to both mating surfaces and cycled the trigger and action the trigger until i got the trigger feel I wanted. It works great. Clean the compound off with a solvent
(I used contact cleaner) really good (like a rinse).
lube and reassemble gun.
Next.
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU SHOULD AND MUST DO.
After the trigger assy is back in your mini ACTION THE GUN (NO AMMO) AND then HIT THE BUTT OF THE GUN ON THE FLOOR TO VERIFY THE TRIGGER WILL NOT SLIP. IT SHOULD NEVER slip DUE TO STRIKING THE BUTT.
This home fix is for those with brains, common sense and enjoy keeping thier rugers stock. I did this to see if I could fix a problem and it worked. I now have a 2 stage super lite trigger. the take up pull nice is nice and stops with a slight click. this is my setup for timing the breathing as the front sight falls and rise just below 6 oclock on the target. and on the end of relaxed exhale with rifle sight at top of natural point of aim rise apply slight pressure for the trigger to break (2nd stage).

Please do not, I repeat, do not try this if you can't understand how the trigger functions. Be smart when in doubt ask a professional ( I did)
Enjoy your ruger
later
bc
:eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now my groups did tighten but only in 3 round firing something
about the mini stock just wont put 5 rounds together geez.

I made the mistake of shooting my buddy's savage it came stock with an adjustable trigger. it was shameless. which provoked me to re-attack my mini trigger with vigor. well big mistake.

I carried my trigger assy in my pocket along with a copenhagen can that carried the lapping compound. (clove #120)pretty more abrasive and worked well. working on the trigger during breaks or over lunch is just quite relaxing)

Yet i could never get the break point
to like a 1.5 pounds feel (like that of his savage).
so i work with a lite soldering file(radio shack) with a little of the
# 600 compound and got it oh so close.
Myself i think it is just too over done now, I know that any more
polishing or filing will mess up the two stage setup of the trigger assy. SO If you feel your going to far YOU ARE! Stop and realize it's only a mini and not a match rifle. I do not shoot my mini ranch other than 1-3 rounds burst ( when goofing off)
Just enjoy your ruger for what it is Good ole USA firepower!
see ya at the range and shoot those metal gongs
It's better than Vegas (I think):D
buying at walmart is luck of the draw:eek:
later my freinds
bc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.