Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it finally hit 60 degrees here for the first time this year around noon ('bout time!) so I thought I would grab a buddy and head to the range to have some fun. I made sure I brought the Mini because I wanted to see what how the bedding job affected my accuracy. The shots were at 100 yards off a front and rear rest. I was very happy and surprised when I went to check them to say the least! :D
Here is what I have done so far to the rifle...
- 2-8x32mm Nikon M223 Scope
- Mo-Reaper
- 3# ASI Trigger Job (traded for)(Could be 3.5#...can't remember)
- Choate hand guard
- 0.048 gas bushing (Gundoc)
- Wilson 1911 Buffer on rear of op-rod
- Acraglass Bedding Job (done by myself)

On one of the targets some dummy forgot to load 5 rounds into the mag...<_<
Maybe with the addition of the Mo-Rod I can get the groups down close to ~1.25 inches or so. These were shot with Nosler's 55gr. Ballistic Tips. I would have shot some more but I wanted to save some of my ammo. Anyways, thanks to all here for the great info and help, it's paid off and this has made my day :D

***I measured the groups from outside-outside. Much easier and a bit more accurate than trying to guess where the center of the holes are***

Attachments

Reactions: whillman
401 Posts
Nice Work

I am jealous. My Mini is at the gunsmith now geting a trigger job, trigger shoe, trigger stop, barrel chop and recrown with a Choate M14 style flash supressor. I already have the Accustrut installed.

All these mods I picked up from good ole PU.

I can't wait to get mine back.

I am sure your results will only improve.

Enjoy

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Its was over 60 today, best it has been all year so far! Did drizzle on us though and next week is supposed to a cold one yet again i.e. below 50 :/

SureNSteady,
I love my Mo-Reaper. It keeps the muzzle on the bags and bench so much better.

Painful,
Sounds like yours is gonna be a serious shooter! I debated whether or not to chop it, but I liked the look of the longer barrel too much to part with it. For a surprisingly low cost you can actually make these things shoot. Im always skeptical of what people say theirs is shooting without seeing targets, but man does this make me a believer of the Mini mods! This one is a keeper for sure!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd have to say it was trigger, bedding, Mo-Reaper for me.

I've been shooting only for a little over a year and the trigger job really helped me out. The bedding was surprisingly easy to do and I feel that really brought things in tighter. After that, the Mo-Reaper is just plain awesome. Im not quite sure exactly what affect it had on my accuracy, but there is no way Im ever parting with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So doing the bedding yourself was easy? I've wanted to do it myself but got a little intimidated when I had read about some guys screwing it up and having to pull it out and do it again. I don't want end up with my would stock covered in bedding material.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah man, it really was. It was surprisingly affordable too (~$30 AcraGlas Kit from Brownells). Watch Gundoc's video about bedding the Mini 14 a few times on his website (Welcome to Great West Gunsmithing) and then have at it. If you don't have a dremel, you will want to get one. I borrowed one from my girl friend's dad lol, worked great! Don't be afraid to really chew a lot of material out of the stock, you will want a good chunk of bedding material on either side so it doesn't chip or crack.

There were a few things I screwed up on my bedding job. The big one was not plugging the semi circle holes on either side of the rear of the receiver, a chunk of the bedding cracked out. I tried to repair it with what I had left over, but it just happened again because I still didn't plug the semi circle hole. The other thing I wish I would have been smart enough to do it put the "release agent" on the stock where I didn't want the bedding material. The painters tape on the outside of the stock worked great, but the inside of the stock I completely forgot about. So it looks pretty messy in there. Still functions fine after I cleaned most of it out, and still looks stock from the outside. I'll attach some pictures here for ya.

So yeah, the biggest thing it just to go for it! I was a bit afraid of screwing things up as well, but it only compelled me more to be meticulous and take my time. Sorry for the long post people :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd have to say it was trigger, bedding, Mo-Reaper for me.

I've been shooting only for a little over a year and the trigger job really helped me out. The bedding was surprisingly easy to do and I feel that really brought things in tighter. After that, the Mo-Reaper is just plain awesome. Im not quite sure exactly what affect it had on my accuracy, but there is no way Im ever parting with it.
Thanks for the info. My factory syn stock got worse the more I shot it..wasn't a good fit at all. I can't say enough good things about the Reaper, makes a bipod so much fun.;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
First day at range with new sparta stock, zeroring primary arms 1-4 scope.

Only 25 yards but that's all we have locally. Still impressed with grouping me and gf did with otherwise stock mini with cheap steal ammo.

Wanna try out a trigger job and accu-strut next.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.