Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some 2 weeks ago. These were the latest batch on the new tooling. Well, they did not work. I had failures to feed and problems with holding the bolt open on the last round. They were very pleasant on the phone and offered to refund my money.

Does anyone know of a 10 round magazine that works? Or, do I just have to buy a bunch of 5 rounders....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had bad luck with every after market magazine that I have purchased. There are others shooters though that have stated that they have found some that work. I have recently bought a bunch of 5-rounders myself. I just cannot justify paying $99 for an original Ruger 30-round magazine. I sincerely wish that Ruger would manfacturer a 10-rounder but they would rather appear politically correct than satisfy the obvious demand for the product.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Don. Which ones have you tried and had no success with? I was leaning towards trying the Eagle or the Millett plastic 10 rounders.

Dave

·
Registered
689 Posts
Dave CDNN has some 10rnd semi transparent impact resistant plastic mags made in the US(probably EAGLE)for $9.99. Might be worth picken 1 up and try'in

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tom, the reason for asking about the Promag = old PMI is that the guy hints that the "PMI" company actually makes Ruger's five round factory mags. I do not think Ruger makes these himself. That part makes sense. Promag is very close in location to where PMI used to be. I don't think PMI exists anymore. When you look at the bottom of the factory mag and at the bottom of the mag on his website, they are identical. All that is missing is the Ruger logo.

Hmmmmm...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am pretty sure it is Promag. The model when you go to order is "RUG09". That is the same model as on the Promag website.

This would be good news if Promag is the OEM for Ruger and is making 10 round mags. Finally, a mag that works....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have looked at almost all after market magazines and have found them lacking. Take your five-round magazine from Ruger and compare it to an aftermarket magazine. When I look I see a definate difference in fit, finish, and function.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see what you mean about the magazines appearing to be externally the same.

If you have one, what do the look like internally?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He is kind of misleading people by saying PMI. But, to look on the brighter side, if it is true that ProMag is the OEM supplier to Ruger, that would be awesome because we might find some 10 round mags that actually work. My mini is the most reliable gun I have owned with factory mags. I have one of his Promag/PMIs on order.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Please let me know if the mags are as reliable and as high of quality as the magazines supplied by Ruger. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
160 Posts
<<He is kind of misleading people by saying PMI>>

Actually, he's doing more than misleading unless ProMag Industries changed their name! :eek: Since Precision Magazines is out of business, I suppose they won't complain, but it's still a tacky tactic IMO.

Dave3006, this is regarding the "PMI" magazines at http://www.harborside.com/~gleason/ ? I went to that page, and the magazines look okay, but who knows. I just bought 2 Precision (the -real- PMI! :D ) 30 round magazines. They don't look anything like the 10 rounders offered there (different floorplate), which makes me think they are probably ProMag, and NOT Precision magazines.

On the other hand, I've owned a few ProMag pistol magazines, and while they are not the Mec-Gar quality, most functioned fine, they were just a little rough. I returned one of two over the years that didn't work, and they were cheerfully replaced with ones that did. I'd not hesitate to try these "PMIs"as long as the harborside guy will refund my $$ should they fail. I have tried to find a photo of the ProMag 10 round magazines in vain to compare to his "PMIs".

I would like to get 2 or 3 10 round magazines. I didn't think Precision made them before they went belly up, but I'm new to this. I sure like their 30 round magazines, but I don't want to spend around $40 each for too many more, and a few 10 round ones would be handy to have.

I sure wish Ruger or especially Mec-Gar would made 10, 15, 20 and 30 round magazines for the Mini-14! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have tried a lot of aftermarket magazines for my Mini 14. Bought 2 supposedly John Masen 30 rounders form Gunaccessories.com. Loaded them up, fired one round and they fell out of the rifle. Had 2 20 rounders that worked well until they got some wear then they started to have a feed problem. Now I have 3 20 round and 1 30 round PMI mags. never a problem with feeding, firing or anything, no matter how fast you want to shoot. These PMI mags are Precision Mag Industries out of L.A.. Would like to hear how some of you other guys come out with the aftermarket ones. Thanks........John

·
Registered
16 Posts
What is the final consensus on the John Masen 10rd Magazines? They look to be a better quality than some of the other 10 rounders I have seen, but so many people don't have anything good to say about them. Somewhere in these posts someone talks about a second production of the mag which is supposed to be improved....so my question is, are the new 10 rounders the same quality as the Masen 20 and 30 rounders that everyone brags about?
And if not, what is and where is the best 10 rd magazine for the money?
I have some Triple K magazines and I lucked out that they were decent, but I do want reliability, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
public_offer:usa:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Public_offer I have never seen a Masen 20rnd magazine I have Masen 30 rnd mags. To the best of my knowlege they did'nt make 20's. Theres some old threads on the 10 rnd. Masen mags. Someone posted that they had some problems. I think most people are buying 10rnd. Pro Mags. Next time I order 45 parts I'll ask Claudia if they ever made 20's.

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
I have NEVER seen a Mini-14 aftermarket mag that was anything like the factory Ruger mags (when I owned my Mini, I had one 5rd and one 20rd factory mag).

ALL the factory mags had quality floorplates, ALL the aftermarket ones had the worst quality sheetmetal plates, not even up to USGI M16 floorplates, which are also just sheet metal, but stamped from higher quality metal.

All the factory mags had quality mag latches that differed completely from the aftermarket mags, which had either a poorly spot welded metal tab, OR just a raised stamped section of metal (the worst!)

Here are two mags. I forget which was which, but one is a bit better than the other.

Mag latch shot:

http://perfectunion.com/images/armory/mags...ag/aut_2061.jpg

floor plate shot:

http://perfectunion.com/images/armory/mags...ag/aut_2062.jpg

magazine catch hole shot:

http://perfectunion.com/images/armory/mags...ag/aut_2058.jpg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts