Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting old, been around long enough to be in style at least four or five times and hope to make it one more.

So I went to the range Sunday and run some bullets through the Mini and had a great time. Looking up and down the line I couldn’t help but notice the various rifles and such carried by the numerous shooters. There wasn’t much variance really, except for a guy who had an old 18 pound buffalo gun with a massive octagon barrel and another that was shooting a Mosin, they all had an AR style rifle. I got nothing against the AR at all, I think they are great rifles and have owned a couple through the years and am very likely to purchase a Sig 556 this very afternoon. But holy cow, it sure would be nice to see something else at times, aside from the accessories, they all look about the same to me.

So a kid and his Dad are sitting next to me shooting an AR 22 caliber rifle, the little boy is eating it up. Daddy keeps looking my way and eventually walks over and compliments the Mini, and asked if he could show it to his Son. I said sure and moments later the little boy walks over and I handed him my rifle… Dad tells him: ‘This is how a real rifle looks and someday you can have one’. Made my day watching an eight year old handle the rifle and listening in on their conversation as they discussed the merits of the Mini.

Anyway, after I shook hands with the kid and rubbed his head, I shot several clover leaf groups @ 50 yds with a hot barrel, using a BSA ‘Cats Eye’, unfired LC brass, 25.6 gr. of TAC, and a 55 gr., bin quality FMJBT. Gotta find that kid next week when I move over to the 100 yd. side. Polish his head maybe... That's the best that rifle has ever shot

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sounds like a great day at the range. I taught my 15 year old daughter to shoot with my 183 Mini. After she got a great SAT score, I promised to buy her a gun and asked if she wanted to try an AR. She said she wanted a Mini because she didn't want to be like everyone else. So I got her a 5820 Mini and she is deadly with it. Every time we go shooting someone will come over and ask what kind of gun she was popping all those plates with, because most of the young guys have only known AR's. If they are interested I show them how it works and most admire the simplicity of the Mini. I guess the Mini is the new "cool" gun now.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took my 11 year old son out for his first ever gun time two weeks ago and boy did he love it. I want my son to know how to handle a weapon and to see that is not a video game. As he put 100 rounds down range to get use to the feel of the 10/22, another gentleman walked over and commented on how it was nice seeing someone teach their child the correct way of handling a weapon. My son waited for us to stop talking and then informed the gentleman that a gun is not a toy or a video game but a thing that can hurt someone or something for real and that everyone should know the difference, made me proud. My son and I returned to the range this past weekend, he did everything right with the exception of running down range to change his target, to be 11 again…LOL I loaded my mini 30 and let him shoot his first 5 rounds out of it and his face light up like it was Xmas, when we were done and all cleaned up, he informed me that he liked to shoot the mini but he was not yet ready as his shoulder was hurting a little…LOL He said he needs to stick with the 10/22. We will be making it a weekly excursion.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Treasure these moments. They grow up all too quickly.
Yeah, showed my 12 year old daughter just yesterday how to shoot the Mini, she'll be 21 this June... :unsure:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I taught my Son to shoot when he was young also (he's 23 now) but what really gives me pleasure is when my Son, me and my Dad go shoot. He carried a M1 Carbine in Korea so he loves the Mini.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I love shooting with my son (10 yr) and daughter (12 yr). Sometimes we get out some tannerite exploding targets or pop bottles and milk jugs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.