Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Mini out yesterday to Burro Canyon for the first time since getting it back from the factory for the rear sight repair. I ran 100 rounds of .223 and 80 of 5.56 without any failures of any kind. You all might recall I had the fail to eject problem and had sent it back to Ruger for a broken ejector. I then sent it back for the rear sight which they missed the first time.
I had some problems at first with it shooting low and adjusting the rear sight down instead of up to try to correct it:eek:. Just couldn't wrap my head around the concept of how to adjust for elevation:wacko:, but once I got it right it was on target. I'm very happy now with how it cycles and I love how it handles. I am going to replace the rear sight though, I don't like how it adjusts.
My buddy was shooting his M1A in .308 with a rear peep sight and was shooting 1" groups at 100 yards. He hit a clay pigeon at 200+ yards on the back berm in one try. That is an impressive shot with any open sight gun!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Glad you got all the issues corrected. I had the same problem with the rear sight on my 582, had to crank it all the way to the left. Instead of sending it back to the factory, I picked up a Tech Sight. It had more adjustment and has click adjustments for elevation and windage without any tools. Works well with the factory front sight.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Many years ago my buddy and I were at the range firing a rifle I had bought from him. He watched me scratching my head while looking at the rear sight and he leaned in and simply said FORS. I looked up in confusion and he explained it this way. Front = Opposite, Rear = Same.

Now I only screw it up occasionally.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I recently purchased and installed the Tech Sight also for my 186 series mini and I think it has a much better sight picture. The install was a little tricky because you must hold the sights two spring plungers down while inserting the retention screw/bolt. It was well worth it. I also installed a thinner Choate front sight ,and that realy helped my groups. The most helpful thing with Iron sights " for me " was reviewing my Marine Training 1. proper sight alignment " front post dead center of circle every time,even distance each side" 2. Proper sight picture " front sight post placed exactly the same position of target
each time. 3 Proper breathing : two fairly deep breaths then on the third breath let it half way out and squeeze. 4 Pad of trigger finger same position every time. It take practice but it really helps. If you sight in like this , you will know the rifle can do its part
if you do yours. Thanks for taking me back !

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Many years ago my buddy and I were at the range firing a rifle I had bought from him. He watched me scratching my head while looking at the rear sight and he leaned in and simply said FORS. I looked up in confusion and he explained it this way. Front = Opposite, Rear = Same.

Now I only screw it up occasionally.
I went out with a friend and I set up my bench and lasered a target at 50 yds to start. I spotted and he shot, and he shot , and he shot, trying to sight in his new Leupold. I stepped over there and looked at this big "L" with the usual arrow on the top turret. Needless to say we laughed, me maybe a little harder than he did. Spun it around and then he goter dun. Nice acronym!

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Took the Mini out yesterday to Burro Canyon for the first time since getting it back from the factory for the rear sight repair. I ran 100 rounds of .223 and 80 of 5.56 without any failures of any kind. You all might recall I had the fail to eject problem and had sent it back to Ruger for a broken ejector. I then sent it back for the rear sight which they missed the first time.
I had some problems at first with it shooting low and adjusting the rear sight down instead of up to try to correct it:eek:. Just couldn't wrap my head around the concept of how to adjust for elevation:wacko:, but once I got it right it was on target. I'm very happy now with how it cycles and I love how it handles. I am going to replace the rear sight though, I don't like how it adjusts.
My buddy was shooting his M1A in .308 with a rear peep sight and was shooting 1" groups at 100 yards. He hit a clay pigeon at 200+ yards on the back berm in one try. That is an impressive shot with any open sight gun!
How was the mini for accuracy? Glad you got it fixed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.