Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can i get a good set of sights to replace the crude factory sights on my ranch rifle?:ar15:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Originally posted by hanksr
Where can i get a good set of sights to replace the crude factory sights on my ranch rifle?:ar15:
I tried the Williams guide on a ranch and it wouldn't lock down and hold a zero. You might try the Express Sight Systems (formerly Ashley) ranch sight. Like the factory sight and the Williams, its an unprotected sight. However, I've found other Ashley products to be of high quality and if I still had a ranch I'd definitely go with it. It has to be better (nothing can be worse) than the factory sight or the Williams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Hanksr, I found in DELTAFORCE catalogue a new item which is an adjustable rear sight for the Mini-14/30 RR, it's $30 military style peepsight . The item # isDK232, you canprobably get the info on www.deltaforce.com. If you get it let us know how it works. Personally with my eyes I prefer to use sometype of optics, instead of iron sights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Cool! Just what I have been looking for. Just ordered one. Couldn't stand the standard sight. I use my scope pretty much all of the time but I want the option to shoot iron sights if needed. The standard flip up sight just plain sucked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info GreyBear I'll let you know how the sight works out:ar15:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,786 Posts
Thanks for the link Greybear.

Say when you guys get the sight please post what ya think, and can we mount it with the scope on? Are the windage adj thumb screws etc. We would appreciate it. It fits the mini-30 ranch also, on sale for $29.95
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Having a money tree planted in my backyard and being insatiably curious, I bought one I bought on of those sights just to have a looksee. I don't have to mount it to tell you I don't like it. It's body is plastic. Elevation adjustments are made by loosening two screws on either side of the aperture and moving it up and down with your fingers before retightening the screws. Windage is adjusted with a plastic knob in a somewhat Garand-esque fashion, but the execution of the idea sucks. Clicks on this knob are obtained by a thin piece of metal screwed onto the side of the sight acting against the hex nut opposite the knob on the threaded adjustment shaft. That's the big blowoff for me. If they could have done the elevation adjustment like the Garand sight (get your hands on one and take it apart sometime, it's a beautiful thing) I would have one on my rifle now. On the plus side mounting is simple and positive. Yes the sight will work. Yes it is an improvement on the flip up factory joke sight. No, it doesn't look too bad...from a distance. No, it is not what I call good workmanship. I see it as a good idea that suffered from "how cheap can we make this". If anyone would like to have a look for themselves, mine's available for a $30 MoneyOrder, I'll ship. I'm going to continue to wait until someone copies the NM2A sight in smaller scale. I would gladly pay large cubic dollars for such a toy, but alas, no one is yet worthy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,786 Posts
Thanks for the product report reloader.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Hi guys, in my non-ending quest to find things for my Mini, I was looking through Brownells catalog #53, the 2000-2001, and on pgs. 273&275 an Ashley Mini-14 Front and Rear sight, and a Williams "WGRS" RECIEVER SIGHT. I don't know about the first one , but the second one is supposed to for both 14&30RR's @ $31.80

The product # of the first is 006-103-015 Mini-14 Rear
'' '' '' '' '' 2nd is 006-103-001 Mini-14 Front
'' '' '' '' '' 3rd is 962-100-143 WGRS Mini-14RR & 30.

For any other options you could geteither or both of the Duncan Long books (THE MINI-14: The Plinker,Hunter, Assault and Everything Else Rifle. or MINI-14, SUPER SYSTEMS.) There is a section in one of them about diong some work to change the rear sights on th RR.

Any way as I said before, whatever you get let us know what works. As for me if I take off my glasses I might be able to smell it but I can't see S**t.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Originally posted by GREYBEAR
Hi guys, in my non-ending quest to find things for my Mini, I was looking through Brownells catalog #53, the 2000-2001, and on pgs. 273&275 an Ashley Mini-14 Front and Rear sight, and a Williams "WGRS" RECIEVER SIGHT. I don't know about the first one , but the second one is supposed to for both 14&30RR's @ $31.80

The product # of the first is 006-103-015 Mini-14 Rear
'' '' '' '' '' 2nd is 006-103-001 Mini-14 Front
'' '' '' '' '' 3rd is 962-100-143 WGRS Mini-14RR & 30.

For any other options you could geteither or both of the Duncan Long books (THE MINI-14: The Plinker,Hunter, Assault and Everything Else Rifle. or MINI-14, SUPER SYSTEMS.) There is a section in one of them about diong some work to change the rear sights on th RR.

Any way as I said before, whatever you get let us know what works. As for me if I take off my glasses I might be able to smell it but I can't see S**t.
The "WGRS" is the Williams Guide Receiver Sight. The one I had on the ranch wouldn't hold a zero.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Originally posted by cajungeo
I believe millet makes one for the ranch. It says it fits a 3/8" dovetail. My Ranch has a 3/8" dovetail, they have peep, and low profile v. Check out: http://www.millettsights.com/rifle.htm
http://www.millettsights.com/rifle1.htm
The millet peep is definately only for non-ranch mini14's and the dovetail, unless you take it apart and can put the fixation screw through the body of the sight, looks too long to be installed. I might be wrong, so if somebody has this sight and can correct me, I'd love to be proven wrong.

The williams sight actually looks like a quality sight, too bad it's reviews show that it is no good.

The Express sight (ashley) looks like the only good option. I'm just not totally excited to but a sight with such large aperature on my rifle.

When somebody gets a GREAT sight, and posts about it, I will probably get one. For now, inaccuracy isn't so bad that I will loose sleep over it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Originally posted by trdslinger


The millet peep is definately only for non-ranch mini14's and the dovetail, unless you take it apart and can put the fixation screw through the body of the sight, looks too long to be installed. I might be wrong, so if somebody has this sight and can correct me, I'd love to be proven wrong.

The williams sight actually looks like a quality sight, too bad it's reviews show that it is no good.

The Express sight (ashley) looks like the only good option. I'm just not totally excited to but a sight with such large aperature on my rifle.

When somebody gets a GREAT sight, and posts about it, I will probably get one. For now, inaccuracy isn't so bad that I will loose sleep over it.
In retrospect, I believe the Williams guide sight was shifting its elevation setting because of the gun recoil which is in the same plane as the elevation slide. You may want to try the Williams guide sight but use Lockite on the lock screw (I didn't). In theory, this should keep the slide locked. The Williams sight is definitely better than the factory sight (assuming it keeps its setting) and has the advantage of replacement aperture sizes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Ok,
Check this out, on my Mini-30 RR project rifle, I have just added (with very little effort I must say) a milled ajustable M-1 Carbine rear sight, I removed the flip-up Ruger thing, this left me with a dove tail milled in the rear of sight well, and a flat peice and a allen bolt.

With a little filling with a small file I was able to fit the M-1 sight into the sight well, I added some JB Weld and the allen bolt, I let it sit-up over night and now it locked in place.

I drilled the peep out just a little and set the sight at 200m , I did a little fine tuning with a file on the Eagle HK type front sight, and, this M-30 ROCKS, I'm getting 1" to 1.5" groups @ 100yrds with UMC 124gr. FMJ.

I'll try to postsome pics asap! :usa:

BTW/ I got the milled M-1 sight from www.fulton-armory.com $29.95 + SH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,786 Posts
If this is the sight it is not an m-1 sight, it is a sight that will fit the m-1 . For $29.95 I can buy an elevation knob for the m-1. However maby this sight maybe better than the little flip sight we have.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
The sight I got from Fulton armory is a little dif. than the sight in the pic. , it is milled and is solid, the knob ajust. with a good and thight click, it works great!:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
I had a williams WGRS on my ranch at Front Sight. Once I got it set I loved it. But what a hassle. Who thought up 2 different screw driver sizes to adjust? And you have to remove the aprerature to adjust anything! I was dumb and didn't put lock tite on the rig until day 3 and regretted it. Every time I thought I had it set, somehting would come loose.

When you mount the carbine sight what has to be ground? The actual sight or the Ruger dove tail screw in thingy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Reloader is 100% on the money with the Dakota Precision Ranch Rifle Rear Sight. It is a plastic POS! Don't waste your money. I cannot see how the heck it would hold an elevation zero after recoil.

Cajungeo, that sight looks just like the one on my Kadet BB Trainer Rifle! (Remember the Kadets?)

Anyone tried the "scout" (forward) mount rail accy? What do you think? Looks like the ticket for a fast aquisition red dot, holo, etc.

Just my ta pence.

- The Reverend
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top