Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping a friend putting a new sight on his ranch rifle. It is a 185 prefix serial no. He had an old Norinco scope and mount on it. Have been looking for a rear peep. Can't find an origonal and have been looking on Numerich and Midway and the replacements all look like they drift into a dovetail and there isn't a dovetail or maybe I just don't understand. could I get a suggestion from any of you fine Gents?

Thanks for any input Mark

· Registered
298 Posts
I am helping a friend putting a new sight on his ranch rifle. It is a 185 prefix serial no. He had an old Norinco scope and mount on it. Have been looking for a rear peep. Can't find an origonal and have been looking on Numerich and Midway and the replacements all look like they drift into a dovetail and there isn't a dovetail or maybe I just don't understand. could I get a suggestion from any of you fine Gents?

Thanks for any input Mark
If this is the rifle, its not a Ranch. Its a Standard Mini-14. The rear sight assembly can still be bought through Ruger. Full Rear Sight Assemby #MS05500B.

You could also go aftermarket. Tech Sights makes a nice drop in replacement. Its the RR200. I've read nothing but great things about the sight.
MINI 14/RANCH® Rifle - adjustable aperture sights

Hope this helps!

· Registered
298 Posts
Well now you know how much I know about mini 14s. Thanks I will check these out. Is after market far superior to stock mini 14 sights. I kinda get that idea.
Its all good. If you don't know, gotta ask. And this is a layed back place. Everyone is pretty cool and willing to help. Yes, the Tech Sight RR200 is a much better sight. And its only $65. Not a bad price for a nice upgrade.

· Registered
663 Posts
I get that its your friends rifle, but if he is already looking for a replacement sight, why got original when you could get a better aftermarket one?

Just my opinion ;)

· Registered
298 Posts
I get that its your friends rifle, but if he is already looking for a replacement sight, why got original when you could get a better aftermarket one?

Just my opinion ;)
Don't think he knew about any aftermarket sight's.

· Registered
2,540 Posts
It'll take these parts:

Rear Sight Base, Blued - $16.40
Rear Sight Elevation Detent Plunger, Blued - $4.45
Rear Sight Elevation Detent Spring - $4.45
Rear Sight Elevation Plunger Spring - $4.45
Rear Sight Elevation Plunger, Blued - $4.45
Rear Sight Elevation Screw, Blued - $4.45
Rear Sight Nut, Blued - $6.45
Rear Sight Peep, Blued - $4.45
Rear Sight Windage Detent Plunger, Blued - $4.45
Rear Sight Windage Detent Spring - $4.45
Rear Sight Windage Screw Pin, Blued - $2.35
Rear Sight Windage Screw, Blued - $5.95

$66.75 + Shipping (and waiting...some of those parts are backordered)

Plus some time and patience to get that rear sight back to factory condition...

I say pick up the Tech Sights and don't ever look back. Best investment I made for my Mini aside from the scope. ;)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Just my opinion ;)
He just brought me the gun and wanted the scope off and a rear sight put on, origonal, aftermarket, didn't matter. I'm just starting to learn about mini 14 sight options. Heard about you guys here on another forum. Alot of info here quick. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.