Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new to me (used) ranch out today. Started sighting in the Simmons 3x9x40 scope at 25 yards. Used SA milsurp ball to get on the target. Moved out to 100 yards. Using Black Hills 55 gr sp ammo, first group; first shot 2" low then four shots into 2 1/4".
Hmmm, slow down and take your time I tell myself. second group;
first shot 2" low, and THEN, next four into 3/4 inches!!! No ****, I wish I had a digital camera to post the target. It was getting cold and dark so I had to pack it in. FYI, i have installed a long fh and retorqued the gas block screws as described on these pages. I hope this wasn't just a fluke, I'll post back after my next session to see if these results are repeatable. I know gas operated autos often throw the first shot wild, anybody have any ideas on how to minimize this effect?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blued, with a long M14 style FH. I realize that odds are slim to none that I can expect this type of accuracy all the time, but I thought it would give some hope to the true beleivers on this board. Sure as hell surprised me. It was only about 35% outside at the time, and I let the barrel cool between strings.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I believe I'll have to consider a blued ranch model. I have a SS ranch thats a little lacking as far as accuracy. Some of the better shooting rifles seem to be blued moly steel. Maybe when the tax refund comes just in time for those spring woodchucks.:D

·
Registered
567 Posts
That flyer could be caused if you ride the bolt when loading the weapon. If you're shooting for groups then try shooting the first round off target then fire for group. Sometimes allowing the bolt to slam home will still give a flyer on your first shot. If you're shooting five shot groups with a factory mag just chamber the first round then drop the mag & reload 1 more round.

Good shooting
Bushwack

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I was letting the bolt slam home to chamber the first round. I understand this phenomena is the reason for sighters in high power competition, to minimize the first round flyers. Anyway, I'm going back out today. i'll try to post this evening.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ranch range report update.

Sorry to say guys it seems it was a fluke.

Went out after work friday and loaded 20 rounds af same ammo.

Fired 4 five shot groups without stopping.

First group, with first round flyer 3 1/2 inches.

Second group 2 3/4"

Third group 1 3/4"

Last group 2 1/4"

This is still plenty good for my purposes, but I was hoping to see sub 2" regularly.

Handloads maybe??

·
Registered
567 Posts
Rezman--these aren't bad groups at all for a Mini @ 100 yards. I'm sure you reajusted you parralax at 100 yards after the 25 yard zero, right? Anything you can do on a regular basis under 4" @ 100 yards is good. Remember 4 MOA is Factory good.

Good shooting
Bushwack

·
Registered
103 Posts
:) Hi. Remember that accuracy is relative and don't dicount the comments on the list relative to Trigger Jobs and Glass Bedding. My Series l9l S/S is shooting into 2" out of box. But I'm used to 1/2" out of my l903 Springfield. So, I'm working on trigger and plan on glassing the action. Never settle for less than you want, it isn't worth the price.:D :D, Best, Billc

·
Registered
534 Posts
I would round file the Simmons and get a decent scope. You might be pleasantly surprised. When I bought my rr the dealer threw in your scope (I don't know what I did to make him hate me so much). Anyway after a LOT of frustration and self doubt I put a new scope on it and my groups went to better than 11/2" at 100 yds with handloads. I also get the first round flier and it is low left also. I have bedded the action but not the stock insert; I plan to bed that over xmas.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Off course this is an old thread, almost a year old, but we have learned if you select the ammo your mini likes, install a muzzle brake, bed the stock, and use a decent scope you will most likely be at 2" average groups or less. Then a trigger job, and gas bushing kit helps especially with rapid fire.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Again, only a year behind. Thats closer than usual (according to my wife). I have stoned the sears and inquired as to springs from "Mike". Intend to do a gas port job but hate muzzle brakes. Already hearing impared from jet engines and shooting. No muzzle brake for me and thats why I have been fooling with a "compensator". As effective but without the hearing loss.

The moderators on this board are Great.

Billc:p :p :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts