Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar with the whats and the whys of the funky set up Ruger has on the Ranch rifle where the Op rod spring guide meets the receiver?
I havn't looked at a standard Mini for years, they still have that simple set up, don't they? or did they chnage everything?
Is there any drawbacks to this ranch setup? More parts usually means more can go wrong.:confused:

·
Registered
567 Posts
djskit---I'm not sure why they made the change. The practicle side of me says, they found a flaw in the "Standard" style & made an improvement. Then there is the chance that they were infringing on somebody elses patent. For sure it added cost to the process which was passed onto you & me. You'd have to be privy to the disission makers at Ruger to know for sure. Oh by the way, does it make any difference?

Good shooting
Bushwack

·
Registered
110 Posts
When the ranch rifle came out Ruger was advertising that it now incorporated a recoil buffer. Suposidly the new design absorbes the recoil from the slide. I suspect that since the Ranch rifle was designed for use with a scope this feature was added.
They probably just didnt feel the need to add this to the regular Mini 14.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, that's what I suspected....
Well here's a homework assignment to anyone who has a ranch rifle and a standard rifle - shoot both of them (no, not at same time, well, on the other hand...;) ) and see if anyone can tell a difference.
I seem to be obessed with this gadget....:eek:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I must have got jipped. I bought mine Christmas, and it didn't have one. It kicked the scope off it in 10 shots, as a bronc kicks off its rider in 10 sec.

·
Registered
427 Posts
One of the things I admire about this shooting machine is it's simplicity. I think I could make one in my shop, but that ain't exactly legal!

I'd like to quiet down the slap a little and I think it would just feel better. I've put a rubber bumper (large o-ring) between the op-rod weight and the gas block and that did reduce whack. Now I see there's some more whack in seating the gas piston.

Any ideas on quieting this carbine? It can be done.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
kalifornia, I can't hear the whack for the boom! I also put a 1/8" thick slab of neopreme rubber in the same location, but I didn't do it for the noise, but to reduce felt recoil. It helped. The gas bushing kit is the best thing since apple pie, it helped a whole bunch!! my brass went from 60 ft to 10 ft, and my scope stayes on the mini instead of being bucked off every 10 shots. Some have put a rubber pad between the opp rod and receiver. It seems to help, but some are too thick, and cause feeding problems. (Buffer Technologys?)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a Buffer Tech thingy on my M1A and it really makes a difference. Have about 500 rounds through it and it still looks good as new. Must be those "high tech polymers":D
At $14 it don't cost much:beer:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
djskit, I may get one to put on the receiver end also, then my opp rod will be sandwiched between rubber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts