Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought just for fun to run my Mini-14 in a 3-Gun match. I have an ATI stock and one of those funky brake/flash hider combos that fit over the muzzle. I will say double taps were a lot faster with the Mini versus the Aimpointed M4gery I usually run, even with open sights!

Jim

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
Hi Jimbobborg;

Glad to read that it worked out for your competition use!

If you don't mind, I was wondering what you think of the ATI stock overall? How is the upper handguard installed, and does it seem robust (i.e. is it one where you are putting screws into plastic every time you service the gun)? Is the stock strong enough to use to cushion yourself when going prone?

Sorry to be a pest, but I am just considering getting one myself for my stainless ranch once my mag binge abates and $$ is available elsewhere.

Thanks in advance and all the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stock has been on my Mini since 2008. I've taken the gun down three times since then for cleaning and I've put about 2500 rounds through it. The upper handguard screws into steel bolts that are in the stock. It is pretty consistent, as I've had a red dot mounted on it before, and have taken the handguard off and on and it retained zero. As for cushioning when you go prone, the stock is strong enough to help me to get back up, and probably fall down on it a few times, but I highly suggest you find a better way to get prone. I can't access YouTube from here, but there are videos of people in 3-Gun matches going prone very quickly that won't damage the operator or the rifle.

Jim

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
Thanks much for the info, jimbobborg!

I put in some range time yesterday and I am still too rusty to start actively competing again...but I have my eye on that ATI stock now. :)

>>>.....and people say the Mini-14 cant do the courses, schools, and comps!...<<<

Not me! The Mini/AR thing was always a toss-up for me, never did figure out all the animosity on Mini vs AR. Magazine/parts availability has always been the achilles heel of the Mini IME, not performance. Now that good quality 10, 20, and 30 shot mags are available and there are at least some parts available, that has changed and the lower profile of the Mini tips the scale in its favor. Just my opinion...

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of the funnier comments that day was when I had to stage the Mini. I left the bolt open. The RO comes over, I ask if it's okay to leave the bolt open with a mag in it. He looks, says "Oh, you have a Mini. Okay, leave it open." The AR guys have to leave the bolt closed and insert mags to leave them grounded, as the bolt release is on the side most people leave it on.

Jim

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jimboborg, would you ever switch to optics for three-gun? If so, what would you run?
It really depends on the match. I usually run an Aimpoint on an AR as most of my shooting is inside 100 yards at the match I go to. I have an older Mini, so I'm stuck using the side mount versus the newer Ranch rings. I just got a new Nikon M223 in 2-8x for the longer match that comes up every once in a while. I'm building a new, dedicated AR and I'm putting a Millet DMS-1 scope on it, as it has a true 1x and goes to 4x, which is enough for plates out to 300 yards.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts