Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have been reading this board for about a month or so. I have come to realize that you all know what your talking about, so I humbly come before you to ask some bone-head questions.

I am interested in a new m1a. Being a college student money is tight, so I don't want to buy a standard and wind up later wishing I had got a n.m. or other variations. I want to do it right the first time!! I don't plan on using it at a match. Just good expensive plinking, and maybe a pig or two.

1. What is the difference between the chrome molly and stainless barrels. Is one more accurate? Is one more weather resistant?

2. What are the #'s 9222,9223,9225,9226... I have seen them on various web sites. I figure they are different models like walnut stock, or composite.

3. I have seen on Gunbroker.com( Its kinda like ebay, but for guns) various models with laminate stocks, realtree camo, and others. However on the Springfield web site I only see walnut and composite. are these other stocks after market? Is one stock superior to others?

4.I went to the cole distributing web site and saw the collection of mags they have. H&R 1962-65, Springfield military arms 1958-59, and some others 1967-68. Is one brand superior? I want quality above all else. I am willing to spend the money for mags that work. Are there other mags that I should look into?

5. What is your opinion. Standard, "loaded", or national match?
I don't like the idea of a heavier gun so I kinda don't want a n.m. however if it is worth it.... I think I am leaning toward a "loaded"

6. Since the gun is not a "light weight" what sling is a good one? Like I said I want to do it right the first time, not go through 15 before one works best.

Well thats all I can think of for know. All responses will be greatly appreciated. And thanks for reading my very long message.

Ps if there are any other web sites or boards you can recommend for research that will also be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
540 Posts
Oh Boy!
Here's one man's opion...:)
I like to keep things simple so,
I'd go with the Springfield Standard "loaded" package.
That will give you a good start. And you can easily upgrade if you crave more accuracy.
I like stainless barrels, they are more weather resistant and folks that know say they are easier to clean.
Those stocks you menioned are after market.
As for mags, stick with Original US GI Contract mags made in the 60's. All the manufactures you mention were govt' contractors. (some advertise GI Spec mags, don't be fooled)
Stay away from "after market mags", they are a waste of money.
Slings, get a USGI web sling, you can them "new" for $15. They are the green ones with a clip on one end. They were standard issue for he M1 and M14
My favorite websit is fulton armory. Read the FAQ
http://www.fulton-armory.com/FAQ.htm#M14
Let us know what you get and welcome!:sniper:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I personally tend to agree with dj here as well as far as the simplicity aspect goes. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with a standard version and like he mentioned ... you can always upgrade if you wish later on down the road. Definately stay away from those aftermarket mags and as far as Cole Distributing goes I know a lot of folks that have purchased them and they are mostly brand new and as new USGI. I have not met one yet that didnt have anything but praise for Cole on the mag situation. I also have observed comments from others who went with the stainless versions that were questioning proceedures to darken or eliminate the shine after they owned it for a while and wanted camo work done on stocks and did'nt think it would look right with a shiney action. This is not to say that there is anything wrong with stainless ... but more of a personal preference as far as appearance goes. As far as the carbon steel barreled actions there are many preventative lubes on the market that with regular preventative maintenance you can keep a lid on corrosions or rust if you stay with it. Stocks ... Wood is very nice but will not hold up as well in the elements as will your synthetics which can easily be camo'd or dressed up. Most will remove the nice wood and store it away for later on and go with a USGI synthetic to drag around in the bushes or whatever. The synthetics do fit a bit tighter as well or you can go with a bedded stock if you are wanting more accuracy. I think no matter which way you choose to go you will end up a happy camper. Mostly I would think its a matter of personal preference here. Good Luck! :)

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
Re: M14 mags:

Any USGI that hasn't been run over by a car is good (grin). Meaning, they work well, even if they have lost their finish. As long as they aren't rusted through, and Cole's are NOT rusty at all.

If you have some that have missing finish, just wipe them down with a gun oil and pack them away. Here in dry California, they never rust if there is any oil on them. Same goes for FAL mags.

Don't shy away from the Chinese mags, either. They are, essentially, completely perfect knockoffs of USGI. They have a different number of spot welds on the mag catch, and no manufacturers numbers to identify them. But they are very good.

Avoid aftermarket, they are hit and miss.

I have some M14 mags that I mis-identified as Chinese due to a lack of markings, but it turns out that the heavy parkerizing was just hiding the markings. If looking at a dealers stash, you can ask to wipe down the mag with a wet (oiled) cloth, and make it easier to read the mfg. markings.

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
Originally posted by djskit
As for mags, stick with Original US GI Contract mags made in the 60's.
There was a run of M14 mags made around Desert Storm, prior to the high cap ban. They are dark black. I forget the markings, something with a "Cxx".... I have a few, but not handy. These are essentially the same as 60's production, although a few old stalwarts will claim they are inferior to 60's production.;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts