Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Codger, that H-Bar Mini 14 you've got is a thing of beauty!!

I'ts almost exactly what I'm looking to do with mine. My question is this... what mods, at what cost??

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Reflex:

First let me state: This is not a cost effective project, but living in Kalifornia and wanting a legal hunting-tactical weapon this is the only viable option. If you can legally own a AR-15-type rifle you can get this kind of accuracy for much less...

Work/Expenses:
Cost of standard Mini-14 - est $425
Shilen barrel - est $200
Installed w/trigger job/bluing - est $150
Custom Scope base (drill/tap) - est $40
Hogue Stock - $70
AC556-type top gas block/sight - already owned
M-14-style handguard - est $10
VersaPod bipod mount - est $20
Eagle cheekpiece buttstock pouch - $25
Aetec Illuminated 3.8-12x44 scope - est $160
Leupold QR scope rings - $65
Uncle Mike sling - est $15

I picked up a lot of the pieces at Gun Shows at a markdown. Obviously you don't need everything I've done, but it gives you a rough idea of the cost involved. I modified this rifle over a period of time to spread the cost out...

Good luck with your mini...

:cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the prompt reply, Codger!! You and I are in the same legal boat (SS. California- where we don't know, or care, how guns work - as long as they don't look like Arnold Schwarzenegger's), so this is a reasonable expenditure on what appears to be a VERY competent rifle. One more question, though... you stated that you already owned the gas block/ front sight in the photo. This item caught my attention because the mini I intend to buy will not have a front sight, whether I replace the barrel or not (it will be cut back from stock length, and see a permanent brake installation). Can you give me a source and price for this item?? I'd greatly appreciate it...

Thanks for your help!_

·
Registered
181 Posts
Reflex:

Sorry but as I've told others I know of no source fhe AC556-style front sight/top gas block. I bought a couple (the last they could find) 10 or so years ago from Fed Ordinance and they're no longer in business. Probably wouldn't be too hard to fabricate if some machine shop had enough advance orders...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Drop-in, although the pre-gasblock barrel diameter is larger than the stock barrel. Quite a bit of gunsmith work is involved to fit to the action.

·
Registered
685 Posts
hey what did the gunsmith charge you? and it comes in the white what was your finish choice?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Boogeyman:

See my reply to Reflex for gunsmith costs. I had it matte blued to match receiver/action... Doesn't seem to need a muzzle brake or flash hider for my purposes. The 20" barrel length & weight really minimize recoil although I wouldn't want to climb hills all day with it...

·
Registered
685 Posts
oh yea looked past it on the list maybe i'll consider the h-bar thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts