Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking my inventory and found I had 100rnds of tulammo .223
Question how much damage if any will it cause in an AR?
Should I get rid of it or would it be ok in a Mini 14?
Trying to decide if I want to take it to the gun show.....

· Registered
23 Posts
you should be fine shooting it through either. From my experiences it has not harmed any of my weapons. I have put it through a few sks, an ar and an ak. I also have about 500 rounds I plan on putting through my mini 30 whenever I get a chance to take it out to the range. maybe not the best ammo in the world but itll get the job done.

· Registered
3,368 Posts

· Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info! I guess I'll be keeping it.
I still don't know why or when I bought it? I avoid steel cased ammo because you can't reload it, and I've heard of problems of the laquer finish. However.. I heard it's great in a sks's.

· Registered
835 Posts
Good info! I guess I'll be keeping it.
I still don't know why or when I bought it? I avoid steel cased ammo because you can't reload it, and I've heard of problems of the laquer finish. However.. I heard it's great in a sks's.
SURE you can! I have a bunch of WOLF .223 that is boxer primed, steel cased ammo that reloads just fine. It's freakin HELL on the dies, though,:( and scratches the insides up a bit...:eek: but it *IS* reloadable!!! WIll I reload more than the 15 or 20 rounds already loaded??? NOPE!!! at least not until I burn through the 6 or 7 thousand empty pieces of BRASS I have for the .223 in the cupboard anyways...

:lol:

· Registered
182 Posts
Ymmv

...at least not until I burn through the 6 or 7 thousand empty pieces of BRASS I have for the .223 in the cupboard anyways...:lol:
OK I'm jealous!

I got a couple hundred. :angry:

Wolf Steel cased ammo has been working fine in my Mini-30, and that may be do in part because the 7.62X39 is tapered slightly, so as soon as it starts to extract, the only contact remaining is the case neck, whereas the .223 straight walled case may present a problem for some chambers.

Hope I don't break a Mini firing pin with those hard 7.62X39 Wolf primers either. :unsure:

My friends Olympic AR chamber soon wouldn't extract them and they had to be driven out with a cleaning rod. (he sold the remainder)

· Registered
182 Posts
I've heard it said before and I have to agree, if your gun won't shoot steel cases ammo it's a problem with the gun, not the ammo.
Could be a tight chamber or maybe a little rough, but he's never had a problem with brass, and I've heard so much about how hard it is on extractors, chamber walls etc; (somebody tell Mr. Kalashnikov) that I'll avoid it for my AR if possible.

· Registered
93 Posts
The only two legit bad things about steel cases ammo is 1. Non reloadable(at least for practicality it's not, unless you don't like your reloading equipment) 2. About 5 or 6 years ago Wolf had a bad problem with outsourcing its bullets and they where Copper plated with steel core, usually that's not a problem but instead of plating them, they died them in copper, thus making it a all steel bullet that destroys rifling very quickly. They fixed that issue but be weary of old steel case ammo. But on the other hand, like somebody already pointed out Hornady makes Steel Match ammo, and it's really good, I mean their 55grain boat tail steel cased ammo will outshoot most any other round short of a hand load. True story.

· Registered
43 Posts
I suppose you could always try some dry graphite lube for the steel cased stuff if it has ejection problems... although not sure if that would ADD to the issues or help them...
Hey: I think if you lube these cases, you could cause an over pressure incident. The case has to expand into the chamber, and actually stick to the chamber for a short period of time during normal operation. If you lube the case, all the chamber pressure is applied instantaneously to the bolt face. Not a good condition at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.