Perfect Union banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice from the Garand Gurus. My original operating rod has developed a crack around the piston end. I bought a replacement from Sarco's, and it appears to be G.I. issue but the piston end while somewhat polished is a bit rough to the touch. The old one was smooth. Should I polish the new one before use or use it as is and let it wear in ?

I checked my Rifle serial# against the list and it was made in Jan.1945. Its a Springfield. I had my Dad's old bayonet from the Korean War told the wife I had to get the rifle to put on it.

:cannon:

Armor Rules TC

·
Registered
540 Posts
I like your though process.
I have a Ferrari t-shirt - hey honey, I need a car to go with it!:D

But on to the subject at hand...others may know more,(I've only had my M1 for a couple of weeks and haven't even stipped it yet, but have had an M1A for years) but it might be a good idea to have that piston "gauged" to make sure its up to snuff. (too well used=too small in dia, not the best idea)
I'm a little vauge on the garand layout, so you might want to check further.
As to the polishing, be carful. I only use Crocus Cloth on my M1A piston. I've heard anything else is a bad idea because it may remove metal and then you back up to "gauge" question.
Hope that helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts