Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to reloading. I live in the "People's Republic of California" so I started reloading because of the cost of lead free ammo. I have pretty good luck with 55 Gr Hornady with bl-c(2) just for plinking, but when I started loading 62 Gr. Barnes, I am not doing as well. I have only tried Varget which the barnes book listed as thier most accurate load. I am shooting a new mini-14 (580). I have had great results with Barnes 168 Gr. bullets in my 30-06 using IMR4064. I would appreciate any input.

·
Registered
833 Posts
they are too expensive for me to use as plinking rounds... I only load them for hunting rounds... but they seem plenty enough accurate for my needs... inch or better groups at 100 yards... What do you need to know???
all rifles are different, so my load data might shoot like crap out of your firearm... not going to be much help there...

Have you looked at the hodgdon reloading site online for that powder?

Also... you may want to load them just a hair off the lands... that SHOULD help some... you dont necessarily want to load them all the way to the first notch... Its not a cannelure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response

I was wondering what powder you use. Also have you seen a much different point of impact with 62 grain Barnes than with 55 grain lead core bullets?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the response

I was wondering what powder you use. Also have you seen a much different point of impact with 62 grain Barnes than with 55 grain lead core bullets? I had about a 2" group but it was about 4 or 5 inches higher than 55 gr. Hornady bullets.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I reload .223 with Varget and 8208XBR almost exclusively. and more often than not 8208 as it is unaffected by temperature variance. POI at 20 degrees F. will be the same point of impact at 90 degrees F.

Not to mention it meters nicer as its a shorter cut extruded stick. :)

other people have their favorite powders that may not include mine... YMMV, etc... I personally like varget because you cant overload a .223 with it... you can literally fill the case as full as you can and it wont be an overpressure loading as many loads for the .223 with varget are compressed loads. AND... in my experience its plenty accurate! My personal pet load for the .223 is a 55 grain midway dogtown hollowpoint over 25 grains of 8208... they will almost punch one hole groups at 100 yards! a buddy of mine BEGS me to load them for him for coyote hunting as they shoot like lasers out of his rifle to 200+ yards!

:D

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I have had good luck with Varget in my .223 loads. I shoot an AR and they worked well. I got the powder for .308 but my AR10 (which I sold) didn't like it in either 168 SMK or 150 FMJ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.