Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am very interested in purchasing a mini real soon but had some questions. what is the differences between the Ranch Rifle and the standard Mini 14? which is more accurate? i am not requiring this gun to be very accurate at all...i am really wanting a good home and farm protection carbine with the added fun of plinking, with the occasional varmint thrown into the mix. shots will most likely be kept well under 100 yards almost 98% of the time, so i dont think the long range accuracy problems will be a problem to me. what do you all think? does this carbine make a good home defense rifle? thanks for any info.

Chris

·
Registered
45 Posts
Naw, the Mini-14 is junk and nobody on this BBS likes em. Just kidding.

What you are planning on using the Mini-14 for is exactly what it was made to do.

Accuracy wise, both models are the same.
The differences in the standard model and the ranch rifle is the ranch has integral scope mounts on the receiver, spits the brass out the side vs up, has a folding rear sight and comes with a pair of one inch rings that are pretty nicely made. I hear Ruger will trade the one inchers for the 30 mm ones for you, but I won't swear to it. If you plan on scoping the thing, I recommend you go with the ranch rifle. If not, save a few bucks and get the non-ranch model and spend the cash on a spare mag. You can always add a scope later, but you will have to pay for a screw on scope mount, that looks kind of cheesy in my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Mike McDonald (edited 01-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mike McDonald (edited 01-02-2001).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,

thanks for your reply. how durable are these rifles? does the recoil buffer really help the life of the rifle? what other things can i do to make it last? i have heard horror stories about how the break and such, but i am hoping they are just that...

thanks again,
Chris

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have not used the recoil buffer. Primarily because I'm too cheap to pay 15 bucks for what looks to me to be a nickels worth of rubber.

As far as the mini-14's reliability, I've never heard anything bad about it. As a matter of fact, I was reading yesterday where some guy took a well worn Mini out and fired 5000 rounds through it without a hitch.All he did was clean it after every thousand rounds. The gun is so simple, there's not much to break.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I got one for X-mas, Mini-14 SS
I didn't care for the ranch rear sights, just a matter of preference.
I love it, it is so simple, take down is a breeze, looking forward to getting out to the range soon.
Good Luck, Lance
P.S. looks pretty sturdy to me.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys...i went out and got me one today. found one at a local store, it was a trade in that i got a pretty good deal on...only put $350 in it. i got the standard model blue with wood stock. going to the range with it tomorrow morning to see how it shoots. i like the way it feels and handles. anyone know where i can find information on what serial numbers are preban and postban? thanks for any help.

Chris

[This message has been edited by cdk357 (edited 01-05-2001).]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here's a link to the mini14 world page. http://www.mini14world.com/mfg.html It has the years of manufacture. If your Mini's serial number falls somewhere in the range of ones made in 1994, you would be wise to contact Ruger and make damn sure it's preban before you make any changes to it that might run afoul of the law.

You might want to put a recoil pad on your rifle if you are more than 5 feet tall. The length of pull on a Mini-14 is really short and the recoil pad adds an inch to the length of the stock. It makes a world of difference when you throw it up to your shoulder. They are about 8-10 bucks at the gun shows. Looks pretty nice too since they are a direct bolt on replacement for the stock plactic one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by cdk357
Mike,

thanks for your reply. how durable are these rifles? does the recoil buffer really help the life of the rifle? what other things can i do to make it last? i have heard horror stories about how the break and such, but i am hoping they are just that...

thanks again,
Chris
DURABLE, why yes indead, I have the mini 14 ranch poly SS. shooting wild hogs were i live they get up to 300+lb. we shoot at night in the back of the pickup.{yes i carry many extra mags, and we all have side arms} i've droped the mini out of the back of the pickup after hitting a large bump. landed bore down in a sand dune, looked like a flag pole. bore full of packed sand even in the action. 80miles from home, we used pice of wire to clear the bore, and wd-40 {works in a pinch} to clean out the action, never missed a beat, shot fine all night long.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Welcome to the forum Cuz- tac medic. That story cracked me up. That wasn't your uncle driving was it? I wouldn't mind comming up your way some time to hunt one of those big porkers.

This thread is a little old. These guys arn't ignoring ya. Its just they may not be around anymore.;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yea, i know its old, but i've read most of the posts, i've got lots of free time if the pager dos't go off.
"I get paid for what i might do, not what I do."
I speed lots of down time on the computer and i've got to say this site works for me, as I love and own the guns on this site. picked an old post to respond to, No I had to, asking if the mini was DURABLE. Oh Ya
P.S. those low grain hpfmj, they make hard holes to patch up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're looking for a used Ruger Mini-14, check out the serial # first, if you're lucky it would start with either 181 or 182. Those models were more accurate, but re-loaders had problems with the gun backfiring on them because the barrel was to "tight".

:eek:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Welcome to the forum stevio. Hadn't heard of an older mini backfiring before with reloads because of a tighter bore. I know the 180 series had a different receiver, thats why most stocks won't fit the 180. I know that The mini-30 had a .308 bore, but could still shoot the .310 dia bullets from the 7.62x 39mm. Have heard that Ruger went to .311 bore on recent mini-30's, but I haven't seen any thing in print.

If ya have a link or date of mag article on the mini-14 we would be interested in taking a peek.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Hay cdk357, I have done a lot of looking around on the net for the pre and post ban ss#'s for the mini's. The best thing I can tell you is not to trust any list you find on the net. Call Ruger. The last 2 sites I looked at said that one of my mini's was made in 1984. When in fact, after calling Ruger is was made in 1995. There # is,
1 - 603 - 863 - 3300. I can tell you one thing the folks at Ruger told me. Any mini with the ss# 186-38000 and lower is pre-ban. Have fun with the new toy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.