Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
835 Posts
It depends on the load data you are using, which hull, which powder, which primers...

WAA12F14's, Fed 12S3's, Fed 12S4's... BUT... again... they are NOT interchangeable... READ your LOAD DATA... and LOAD as the DATA DIRECTS! Its not just pick a wad and stuff it full of pellets and go shoot. :)

· Registered
48 Posts
It depends on the load data you are using, which hull, which powder, which primers...

WAA12F14's, Fed 12S3's, Fed 12S4's... BUT... again... they are NOT interchangeable... READ your LOAD DATA... and LOAD as the DATA DIRECTS! Its not just pick a wad and stuff it full of pellets and go shoot. :)
+1
There is a thread over at SKSboards where this guy is taking a birdshot shell and cutting the end out so he can dump the #10 shot and load it back up with steel ball bearings and other junk and is sealing it back up with wax. I tried to tell him that was not a good idea and his reply was for me to go pound sand.

Load formulas have a little lead way with the amounts of powder with various primers but the rest are hard fast rules that need to be followed or bad things can happen.

· Registered
58 Posts
+1
There is a thread over at SKSboards where this guy is taking a birdshot shell and cutting the end out so he can dump the #10 shot and load it back up with steel ball bearings and other junk and is sealing it back up with wax. I tried to tell him that was not a good idea and his reply was for me to go pound sand
One of these days that knotthead will have to get a nose reconstruction or a glass-eye. At least you tried buddy.

· Registered
309 Posts
I opened up a 2 3/4" target round and then put six 00 shot in it then pushed the crimp back down.
but i weighed the pellets to be certain it wasn't heavier than what i replaced.
it was just a tad lighter.
what really surprised me was that out of my mossberg maverick with the defense barrel
those six did not spread out much at all at 25 yards.
i use them for practice because they only cost about 20 cents each

· Banned
5,884 Posts
LEE makes a Buck Shot mold that cast 18 at one time. I would not load Buck over factory loads wad pressures and burning rates can cause dangerous pressures. The buck shot reacts differently than a number 7 1/2 shot string. A shotgun may accept unsafe loads many times before it fails.

· Registered
5 Posts
For some reason I’ve never liked reloading 00 buck. I find 0-buck loads better or better yet #1-buck. Here is the data I use from BP. Don’t try these on a lee loader. They don’t seem to crimp new hulls very well. I used one for years then bought a MEC 600 and a brass super crimp starter.

Load# 151019-7373
HULL: CHEDDITE 12-gauge 2.75”
PRIMER: CH209
PROPELLANT: (HODGDON) LONGSHOT 30.0 Grains
WAD: HCD-18
SHOT: #0 Lead Buck Shot (12 pellets) 3 pellets per row, 4 rows for 12 pellets.
Approximate 600 grains.
FOLD CRIMP
Results: PSI 8400 FPS 1235

Load# 151019-7371
SHOT: #1 Lead Buck Shot (15 pellets) 3 pellets per layer, 5 rows for 15 pellets.
Approximate 615 grains.
FOLD CRIMP
Results: PSI 9500 FPS 1280

I made a lot of buckshot with sharpshooter molds. But nowadays I just by it.

Some people like #4-buck for home defense. But outside the home it’s effective rage is only 11 yards. So I loaded a bunch of 12 gage #2-buck. Here is the load data:

Load# 151016-7369
SHOT: #2 Lead Buck Shot (20 pellets) 4 pellets per row, 5 rows for 20 pellets.
Approximate 580 grains.
FOLD CRIMP
Results: PSI 9000 FPS 1280

I use an overshot card on all these loads. Crimps better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.