Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a mini-14 to day and was looking at 10 rd mags.
Why are some of the Ruger Factory mags longer then others??
Which size works better?
Are the M16 mags compatable with a Mini-14?
Heard a lot of complaints about ProMag, which (besides Ruger) companies make good mags?
I don't know nothing, need some help.
John

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm confused. Where were you looking? In person or on the interweb? Ruger makes 5, 10, 20 and 30 round mags. I've never noticed a difference, although I'm sure they vary from one manufacturer to the next. If you were looking in person, can you please post the price and address of the store? ;-)

The general rule of thumb is that factory mags are best. The opinions on the other brands are mixed at best. Some love 'em, some hate 'em. I have no experience with 10s.

Joe

·
Registered
102 Posts
Longer magazine equals more rounds. Personally I like the Ruger 20 round mag's. Feed reliably and made out of steel. Doubt you'll be able to buy them now. I have a couple of aftermarket 30 round mags, steel too, and they feed good most of them time. Most of the time is ok on the range I guess, but would suck real world. Stay with Ruger if you can find them.

Reb

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Some mags incorporate anti-jamming followers, which are basically longer to prevent cocking of the follower in use, which can produce jams. Longer followers necessitate longer mag bodies for the same number of rounds, everything else being equal.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The first link is a 20-round factory mag.

The seller is labeling it a 10-rounder so that eBay won't cancel his listing (and potentially his account). With all the AWB nuttiness, eBay has taken the most conservative (legally, not politically...) approach and is on an AWB-esque rampage.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts

The seller is labeling it a 10-rounder so that eBay won't cancel his listing (and potentially his account). With all the AWB nuttiness, eBay has taken the most conservative (legally, not politically...) approach and is on an AWB-esque rampage.
Yep, I've seen some sellers put a ruler next to the magazine to emphasize the point...

Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ebay has these two, they are either mis-labled or different sizes:

New Ruger Blued Steel Mini 14 223 Magazine Mag Clip Holds 10 Rounds | eBay

Ruger Mini 14 Factory 10 Round Magazine New in The Package | eBay

and I've seen this on other sights too, that's why I asked.

Thanks guys, I think that clears that up for me.
John
Jesus wept...I just looked at the bids for these mags - $95 for the first one (22 bids) and about $130 for the other (1 bid). That, my friends, is insane. :blink:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Heard a lot of complaints about ProMag, which (besides Ruger) companies make good mags?
I don't know nothing, need some help.
John
I went through the same process after I bought a Mini 14 in January. My advice is don't go crazy paying rediculous prices. I put in a backorder for 3 20 rd magazines with Ruger. It took about a month, but I received them last week. They say they are filling internal orders first, so you are best off ordering from Ruger direct if you want factory mags.

While I was waiting, I did find one John Masen 20 rd mag at Galati International. It has been very reliable. It has a very shiny nickel finish, which I hate, but I have no complaint on function. It's about a half inch longer than the Ruger factory 20 rd mags, probably to suit a different spring. The follower is also a little different, but again, it has worked flawlessly.

All in all, I would buy the Ruger mags. They're not that much more expensive, and they do seem to be a little better built.

One other thought - I wouldn't go crazy buying mags. Between the ammo shortage and the cost, I really can't afford to fill the ones I have for a single session at the range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Gotcha, that explains a lot.
I think you guys a right about the prices. I have one 20 rd and two 30 rd Ruger mags that came with the rifle (that made the deal cost effective) so I'll just stick with those and back order from Ruger.
Thanks all for the input.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.