Perfect Union banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I preface everything here with " after this AR/ ammo storm blows over"

i'd like to assemble a budget tactical AR similar to one pictured below visually with Pretty much stock quality mechanicals. Would you recommend me just buy
A complete rifle and change everything out or am i better off buying the parts
And assembling my own. What skill level is involved? I'm a fabricator of 10 years, mechanic of 20 yrs and have a good understanding of mechainical objects. I would like to build my own to expand my knowlede of the guns i own. Thanks!
Kenny s

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Skill level should be no problem for someone with your background. Actually, someone with only limited mechanical skills could handle it. The problem right now is availability of parts. I don't care what people will tell you, you can definitely build it cheaper than you can buy it if prices and availability of parts ever gets back to normal. If you built it the way you want it you will have less money in it and it will be built exactly how you want it without a bunch of leftover parts to try and get rid of.
I am in the process of building an upper right now, just trying to find the exact barrel I am looking for.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
But to build one requires a small handful of specialized tools.
Yes, but if you shop around a little, you can buy the tools you need or make them for well under $50. Even buying the tools it's still much cheaper to build your own instead of buying complete.
Hey, AsSeenOnTV, do you recognize that patch that I use as my avatar?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was my point exactly.....i see people buying harleys new and then replace every part on them afterwards. Ok.....thanks, i'm going to wait a few months till things blow over and start investigating parts. I have a early 90's Colt sporter II Carbine but i really dont want to
Start frankensteining that gun.

As far as recent events go......there are still deals out there. Just bought 500 rounds of bronze 223 for .47... I know ...not wally world pre sandy prices but pretty good now.
There were ny compliant S&W ar's for 650.00 on monday.
Wolf steel 223 for .27 per round.
The key is to not be in a rush to buy anything.
Ks

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'd stay away from steel cased ammo - the varnish can jam your bolt , also spent cases are useless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"Ok.....thanks, i'm going to wait a few months till things blow over and start investigating parts"

That is IF they blow over. Make no mistake, we are going to have to work hard to keep our rights from being degraded.

·
Registered
182 Posts
...Would you recommend me just buy
A complete rifle and change everything out or am i better off buying the parts...
I'm pretty glad I bought a complete Sig Sauer AR from the start.

I was willing to pay more up front and not have to deal with the parts hunting and shipping costs, etc.

Adding upgraded parts has made me familiar enough with the mechanics for now and I can always take the thing completely apart and reassemble it again if I want to know it in more detail. ( sounds like you wouldn't have a problem with that either)

So the way I'm looking at it, the cost of this rifle has about doubled since I bought it Dec. 9th, (whew!:blink:) so I'm well ahead cost wise. (in my mind anyway)

Or, looking at it this way, for the cost of a new stock one right now, I got an Olympic fully fluted .556 barrel, a DPMS vented free float tube, (to show off the full fluting :rolleyes:) a Jewell 2 stage trigger, a nice leupold VX-III scope & AR scope base, a...:D...you get the point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts