Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon.

I've purchased a Mini 14 185-series that has a broken rear sight. Here is what the sight currently looks like: http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/598364000/598364561/pix382901268.jpg

Question -

1) What kind of new peep sight should I buy, and do I need to have a gunsmith install it?

2) I'd like to mount a rail on this rifle. One of those side rails, because I've heard that the rails immediately over the action can cause jams. What kind of rail do I need to buy?

Thanks!

Cameron

·
Registered
621 Posts
You're going to get a lot of responses about TechSights. That would be my recommendation. Not sure if they would work with a rail.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Hey Cam, welcome to the forum from Central Virginia!

I have a 181-series Mini - similar to yours.

Tech Sights is the way to go (Ruger Mini Rifle Sights | Tech Sights), but you can probably get a replacement Ruger rear sight from Numrichs. MINI-14. Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts

Regarding the side-mounted rail, it is mounted from the side but sits over the receiver. Pic is one on my 181. It should clear a Tech Sight, but unless you do some mods to grind off some of the rail, you won't be able to make elevation adjustments after mounting the rail.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GO04O0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will need to invest in some Blue Loctite, as all the screws on it are prone to loosen up otherwise (I know from personal experience). It isn't a bad setup, but there are a few considerations:
1) the early Minis tend to eject vertically, rather than horizontally, which means ejects are likely to either hit the rail or the windage knob of a scope mounted over the receiver. Every Mini is different, and mine (fortunately) usually misses. Depending on the reticle, you may be able to rotate your scope 90 degrees (so the the windage knob becomes the elevation knob and the elevation knob becomes the windage knob).
2) You will not get a good cheek weld for a scope/red dot. For my Mini, I deal with it because unlike most every other option, to can switch between iron sights and scope/red dot without having to remove the optic: it is merely a difference between a cheek weld (irons) and chin weld (optic).
3) You may want to consider an Ultimak scout rail for your Mini. It replaces the hand guard and gives you a rail forward of the receiver. This keeps optics forward of the receiver so ejects won't hit them. For red-dots, this is great, for scopes, you'll need to get a long eye-relief or pistol scope. Given that the Mini is a carbine, a red dot is probably the better way to go and Sandog (on this forum) has a great solution. I will likely replace my UTG side-mounted rail with an Ultimak this year.

I like the UTG rail (I modified it by cutting off the forward few slots so that I could remove the hand guard while cleaning) and have learned to live with a "chin weld", and I like the choice of reverting to the irons without having to remove the optic (going to a "cheek weld"). It is a personal preference, of course.

Again, welcome to the forum. Read, learn, and ask questions! We were all in your shoes once!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
If you have a ranch model, I could not tell by your photo. Then I have a GG&G That clamps into the integrated scope mounts. It is rock solid using thread locker and does not obstruct ejection. It is tall so a stock mod or a chin weld is needed. Show us the whole unit when you get it and congrats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bolero, RJF, and Chill,

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the help. I've been going crazy, googling "series 185" and trying to see what kind of sight is mounted there.

Hope you don't mind me bugging you again.

-Cameron

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Cam, the Tech Sights website will show you a "before" picture of your rear sight. the pic here is an extract from that site. The original is the one with the red circle/slant superimposed on it (like the one I have on my 181). The pic to the right is the Tech Sight.

The Tech Sights for the newer Minis is far better than the factory one, but I wish would have followed the design of the Tech Sight for the pre-2005 straight Minis (like the one in the picture).

You're not bugging us! We are more than happy to answer questions (usually correctly!) and provide references. To coin an old phrase: "you don't know what you don't know". Before you know it, it'll be "you don't know what you know".

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I purchased the TechSights, like you guys recommended. $65, plus shipping. Definitely an investment, but hopefully they're decent aperture sights.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Cam, I think you'll be pleased. Use Blue Loctite with the screws. They are fine looking sights and, were my 181 Mini not so sentimental to me, I'd probably get one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

Finally received my Mini and immediately installed the Tech-Sights aperture sight. Took the unit to the back 40 acres to zero it.

Guess what? From 50 yards away, using only the iron sights, I grouped my first 5 shots in a 3-inch pattern on the bullseye.

Glad I went with the TechSights!

I was using TulAmmo. After a great deal of research, I came to the conclusion that it's better to spend a few extra cents/round for brass ammo. I just placed an order for 1,000 rounds PMC with OutdoorLimited. (Best prices I found for bulk orders)

-Cameron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts