Perfect Union banner

quandry

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  S1Loki 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 582 series mini. This gun has been to ruger 3 times, twice for fte and once for a broken firing opinion. The gun is much improved with a fte every 80 to 100 rounds. I use only ruger magazines and a variety of available ammo. My question is what to do with a gun like this. I have a 581 that has never failed me in 3000 rounds. It just really bugs me. I put it in the back of my safe and don't look at it. Opinions?

#4 · (Edited)
One thing about Ruger, every firearm I had to return to them, they would never tell what they found wrong or what they fixed......would you go to a doctor that did that to you???

I've had to figure out what was wrong with new rifles for over 50 yrs. and fix them myself...because of suffering factory repair depts. that could not or would not fix the problems... Another wrinkle is, factories will use only one or two brands of ammo to test your firearm, and it may work just fine with those, but not with some you are using...And do you think they are going to fire 80+ rounds to duplicate your problem????

I was experimenting with different sizes of gas port bushings this week in my 188 stainless RR. a .040 would eject 55gr. Remington UMC cases 10 ft. But, Federal same weight bullet and some M855 from Australia with 62gr. would not leave the chamber..... installing a .045 ejected all 10 ft. that's .005 difference....Going to a heavier recoil spring, Wolff or Accuracy Systems, would cause same problem with different brands of ammo. There is a balance of gas pressure and spring pressure, that is relative to rifle functioning with most ammo out there. As the bolt recoils, it also has to overcome the hammer spring to cock it, that added to the recoil spring is the total work the gases have to overcome. Add any errant friction from lack of lubrication or dirt and guess what??? Does your problem happen 80-100 rds. from a complete cleaning and lube?? or?? How far are your cases ejecting, any dents or marks on the brass??? Are you firing rapid fire, using any steel or aluminum cases??

#12 ·
One thing about Ruger, every firearm I had to return to them, they would never tell what they found wrong or what they fixed......would you go to a doctor that did that to you???

I've had to figure out what was wrong with new rifles for over 50 yrs. and fix them myself...because of suffering factory repair depts. that could not or would not fix the problems... Another wrinkle is, factories will use only one or two brands of ammo to test your firearm, and it may work just fine with those, but not with some you are using...And do you think they are going to fire 80+ rounds to duplicate your problem????

I was experimenting with different sizes of gas port bushings this week in my 188 stainless RR. a .040 would eject 55gr. Remington UMC cases 10 ft. But, Federal same weight bullet and some M855 from Australia with 62gr. would not leave the chamber..... installing a .045 ejected all 10 ft. that's .005 difference....Going to a heavier recoil spring, Wolff or Accuracy Systems, would cause same problem with different brands of ammo. There is a balance of gas pressure and spring pressure, that is relative to rifle functioning with most ammo out there. As the bolt recoils, it also has to overcome the hammer spring to cock it, that added to the recoil spring is the total work the gases have to overcome. Add any errant friction from lack of lubrication or dirt and guess what??? Does your problem happen 80-100 rds. from a complete cleaning and lube?? or?? How far are your cases ejecting, any dents or marks on the brass??? Are you firing rapid fire, using any steel or aluminum cases??
Ruger only warranties (unofficially) thier firearms if they have not been modified. Your problems may well be caused by your multiple modifications. I would suggest that if you want your mini to be heavily modified, you should have the work done by a professional gunsmith that specializes in minis. Send your mini to Gundoc with a list of the ways you want your mini to perform. I'm sure he will cure what ails your mini. FYI, I am not getting any compensation by endorsing Gundocs services.

#6 ·
My opinion?

Keep the one that works and get rid of the one that doesn't. JMO

Buy another.

Some guns work good for you and some don't. Cars/trucks the same way, if it's giving you problems, get rid of it.

Guns cost a whole lot less, don't sweat it, get rid of it.

If you send it back, I would follow-up with an email and a phone call explaining the problem in detail and how discouraged you are with the issues at hand.

I would ask for a manager once the customer service rep gets on the phone. Explain the issues and ask for advice. Remember, you can catch more flys with honey than with vinegar, but the squeakiest wheel does get more oil.

Good Luck

Reactions: tri70
#7 ·
My 582(and others) have been having (or had) the same problem. Check out my thread and pictures and see if its the same problems you're having. I just got mine back and will be shooting it shortly to see if they really fixed it.

What did they say they did to yours? They told me they replaced the bolt and adjusted the barrel. From what I can tell the only adjustment was to the front sight.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/93155-brand-new-mini-14-problem.html

#9 ·
On two occasions they said they replaced the bolt and charging handle. The main problem was pretty obvious-- there was so much slop in the bolt it would occasionally completely miss the ejector. Don't get me wrong it is much improved. Ammo is too expensive for hundreds of rounds of testing.

#8 ·
If your shooting factory ammo and getting a fte every 80 to 100 rds, that sounds like an ammo problem. Some cheap ammo will give you FTF and FTE problems. If you were having problems every 10 to 20 rds, I would say the gun has a problem. They can sell real easy right now if you want to move it.

#14 ·
Because Ruger isn't getting in front of the problem

They deserve to get any of these new rifles back that do not function. It sounds like a combination of bad sourcing for materials and/or bad -sloppy machining on the chambering.
If we assume the extractor is of the correct material and dimensions, then the chamber is under sized and the casings stick. But to be clear, on this thread there isn't enough info to trouble shoot. If we are trouble shooting then we need not the name of the ammo but the type, is it brass or steel cased, are they 55 45 or 62 grain. Is it traceable to a specific load you're testing? There are a bunch of variables to consider and it pays to place close attention when you have an issue.
My recommendation on the junk they are producing is to send it back with a rousing note like. STOP Selling junk! I really get skeptical of a company that knows they have a problem and doesn't make a public statement and get in front of any problem that appears to be systemic. Sad indeed.\, but there are plenty of older ones out there and there are other fire arms that shoot 5.56 ya know;)

#15 ·
This is clearly a lemon. I've put a bunch of many kinds of good, bad and ugly ammo through my 582 and have had zero failures to anything, even with steel case garbage.

I'd start pressing for a replacement. Try to convince them directly. If they won't stand by their product, start shaming them on social media. I've often been able to get companies to snap to by exposing their BS on twitter. Don't stand for it.

#16 ·
It seems to be getting worse, the bean counters in control, and quality is out the window. I had to return the last two new expensive pieces I bought, that should never have left the factories...one had to be replaced by company's owner, after posting photos of their so called repairs on their fans forum, and the other a barrel replacement because the original looked like a threaded tube with threaded rifling, because they had used a worn out reamer, a company touting their very accurate barrels who's name starts with a S. Again posting photos of the bore on a forum got me the companies General Manager to respond with a replacement barrel with target.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.