Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it just me or the older minis seem to have better craftsmanship, i have been hearing problems with the newer ones that i have never heard of being an issue in the older ones. i have thought about getting a newer one for a while now, but after comparing the newer with the older, the quality seems to be spotty in the newer ones, i threw on a accustrut on my mini and it shoots excellent now, my dad has had his since the 80s out of highschool, 10000 rounds and has not replaced one thing, mine is an earlier 2000 and i have put 3000 in a year and not one malfunction. i was expecting a firing pin or extractor to break but nothing yet. i am sure there are some newer ones that shoot fine, but what else has ruger done to the line other than the barrel? have they changed any of the composition in parts?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would like to see on Ruger's records of bad ones in old ones vs new ones. I think in general if we could some how gather all the facts, there wouldn't be too much of a different proportionally. This is just a guess/theory but the reason you hear more about newer ones is because of the internet. People usually voice their opinions very loudly when they're unhappy. Now that there are probably more Mini owners than ever, you'll just keep hearing more of the bad ones. The thing we always hear about the old ones is the issues with accuracy, but a lot of old timers have been fine with them. We live in the age where everyone is expecting sub MOA, even in a utilitarian rifle.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have a 183 made in 1987 and a 582 I bought this year. From what I can tell the design of the 582 is better with the thicker barrel, but the finish of the 183 is much better. It was and still is much smoother than the 582 and the appearance is a lot more polished. The 582 looks and feels a lot rougher, but it shoots just as good as the 183. I think the 582 shoots better when hot. I like the 183 rear sights better since it has the click adjustments instead of the allen screws and I like the larger front sight of the 183 for quick acquisition (after I put orange finger nail polish on it), but that's just a personal preference. The 582 took a couple of hundred rounds to break in with about a half dozen FTE in the first 200 rounds. The 183 functioned flawlessly out of the box and so does the 582 now. On the inside the 582 is not much different than the 183 with all the parts pretty robust, but again the surface finish is rougher. The 582 trigger was a lot rougher before I polished it. So from what I can tell, the design of the newer ones are better but the craftsmanship is not as good, but what is anymore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts