·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have been reading the posts in this forum for quite sometime
and now that I have recently purchased a Marlin 336W I can dive
right in with the conversation.

Does anyone have this rifle, and if so what was your luck with it?
Got it brand new and fell in love with it at first sight. :lol:

Anyone have any tips or information go ahead and respond.

Thanks, Jim :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:usa: It's a Marlin 336W, Calibur - 30/30.

Wood stock, side ejection, ghost hood sights, brand new out of the
box.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a an older 336 in 35 Remington, was a good working gun plus they are side eject and much better for mounting optics than the Winchesters. You should enjoy it. What type of game will be using it on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be using it on deer from either a treestand or
brush/ground hunting.

What type of scope would you guys recommend putting
on that lever action. I don't want to go to big because
of the drop rate after 150yrds for a 30/30 calibur. Also,
putting a massive scope on a lever action rifle isn't appealing
either.

I was looking at a:

3 x 9 x 40

1.5 x 6 x 42

1.5 x 4.5 x 21

I'm all confused on what should be the best scope of the job.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you are shooting from a tree stand then you must consider how far would be your longest shot, if you your tree stand is in a heavily wooded area then a red dot or williams peep sight might probably be a better choice if under 75 yards.
Just my opinion from my experience only. If you can reach out further than 75 yards to 150 yards a 1.5 to 4 power variable might be worth looking into. As far as a higher power scope for this gun I really do not see any advantage to this. Like you said in your post the drop off is quite considerable after 150 yards. I have williams peep on my 375 Winchester big bore 94 and have taken deer out to 125 yards.

S/W

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with Second Wind. I have a 336 n 30-30. I have a 3x9 now and am getting ready to move to 1x4 or 5. That will give you plenty of power when you do take a 100-150 yd shot, which will probably be only a few. The low power helps for close in shots. I lost a deer that was under 30 yds away cuase the scope was set a 3+, and I couldn't find it. Practice and you should be able to get tight groups off a bench from 100yds with factory loads. Mine likes 150gr, my brother's likes 170gr. I am in the midst of saving for a Marlin 1895 in 45/70. Good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
va hunter

Those 150 gr. you are using, are they the hollow points. My Unca Dave found 150 HP's a few years back and tried them in his 94 and boy do they ever do a job on a deer. He has not used the 170 silver tips ever since.

S/W

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have used hollow points, but last couple of years have used WIN silvertips. Seem to be a good combination of expansion and penetration.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got the 336 in 35 Remington, and it is the slickest centerfire levergun I've ever handled. While my 1894's are a bit balky with some types of ammo, the 336 just gobbles up everything I stuff in it, and it's a lot more accurate than I gave it credit for. In fact, one of my missions tomorrow is to go find the rest of the 200-grain Rem ammo in town, my rifle apparently dotes on it. I'm not much for shooting off a bench, but this rifle fired two groups at 100 yards, 1.067 and 1.085 inches, with me shooting off my elbows, the first time I benched it. Am I excited? You damn betcha! I wish my other rifles were that much fun to shoot!

Now the downside: You have been afflicted with Marlinitis. There is no cure. It will make you haunt gunshop after gunshop, fondling every Marlin you see, and occasionally bringing them home to get them away from that sordid environment. It's a tragedy, but you'll adjust. And in a few years, you'll have a cool bunch of Marlins to shoot!

Ain't life grand?

PJ

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was looing into purchasing a Marlin 336cc in 30/30 win. and i was just wandering if any of u had any recommendations on it becuase i saw the 336a in basspro shops and i liked it alot so i took a look at their website and fell in love with the 336cc, all comments will help, thanks, :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts