Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still considering the many rifle on the market but am leaning in the direction of the Ruger Mini's. I live on a old farm/ranch so my needs are pretty much those for which these rifles were designed. So, should I go 14 or 30? I am aware of the design differences but what does that mean in the real world? It will be my lone rifle and not used for game hunting (maybe for varments and the like. Damn skunks and coyotes around here!) Mostly for fun, plinking, pests, and home defense. Is one more easily upgradable? I have a habit of modifing everything I get. Enough for now, thanks. Sphinx (CRS):D

·
Registered
175 Posts
i feel the .223 is the better round, it shoots flatter than the AK round, has an excellant 'thump' when it connects with a varmint, i have killed deer with mine in the past, it's not my first choice for a deer rifle, but the .223 will get the job done. and also on the plus side, ammo is easy to find for the .223.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, any one else? Now the difference between the Ranch and 'base' model is the side eject and recoil feature. Any major differences in the real world between the two (besides scope survivability)? Oh, yeah, reputable places to get a pre-ban? What about the modification ability? Sphinx:p

·
Registered
175 Posts
the difference between the ranch and the standard mini are the rear sights, the ranch model has flip down, unprotected rear sights, and comes with ruger rings, the standard mini has a sturdy rear sight that has protective 'wings' on each side of the peep, kind of like the rear sight on a Garand, and does not come with rings, if you are not planning on installing a scope on your rifle, the standard mini is the way to go, the sights are strong and built to take abuse, my standard mini has survived being dropped twice and landed on the sights both times, once on gravel and another time on bricks, its a very rugged rifle, both times it survived with nothing more than a couple of new dings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I picked up my Mini-14 MS/Synthetic today. I am quite pleased.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have both a Mini-14 Ranch (wood) and a Mini-30 (synth), both in Stainless steel. Whatever you do, get Stainless Steel!

As for choice - for an all-around gun, the mini-14 is more versatile, and .223 ammo is slightly cheaper than the 7.62x39mm ammo for the mini-30.

If you want more stopping power, the mini-30 is the way to go. I don't know your financial situation, but if you can afford to, buy BOTH.

If you go to the shooting range at all, beware that the mini-14 launches spent brass casings about 60 feet! If you want to keep friends at the range, I advise buying a shell catcher from deltaforce.com

·
Registered
217 Posts
It seems that many accessories are interchangeable between the mini 14 and 30, or at least available for both. From what ive heard, reliable clips are slightly easier to find for a mini 14??

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yes. Reliable Pre-ban Mini-14 magazines are MUCH easier to find.

Mini-14 magazines will click into place on a Mini-30, but obviously, you should NEVER do that. The handguards are interchangeable, the stocks are interchangeable, and the brass catcher will work on both models. I'm not sure about the internal parts or bolt, etc. being interchangeable though.

You can't go wrong buying both models.
:D
:rapid:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll start off with the 14 and dink with that for sh**'s and giggles. Where are good places to get reliable mags? Oh and prebans? I live in a damn small town now I want to take full advantage of the space I have. Sphinx

·
Registered
716 Posts
USA Mags is good for Preban Mini-14 clips. Finding good pre-ban is hard, and they INEVITABLY need to be "tweaked" a little bit to make them reliable. Still, the best Mini-14 clip I have is a 30rnd capacity, yet is only reliable if you load it with 20 rounds or less. When I test them at the range, I scratch a grade letter on them, so I know which ones to pick up when it really matters.

Finding them is easy. Go to
http://www.gunbroker.com/
type Ruger Mini in the search box and check the checkbox before searching.

There is a genuine Ruger preban 30 at:
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem....sp?Item=2294782
If you don't buy it, I probably will.

The mini-30 clips, not so easy. I have one good mini-30 (20rnd) clip, but I bought it in a privately owned sporting goods store so I don't know what brand it is. I have gone through over 5 other magaizines to finally find that one.

If you are really concerned about reliability, your best route is to get genuine Ruger pre-bans, but OUCH! They are EXPENSIVE!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Went on an extended search to find just the 'varmint' weapon (AR15, AK47, Mini14, Mini30) and settled quite happily on the mini 14 synth/stainless ranch. I prefer the simplicity and ease of handling/cleaning, plus the Browning scope is a great asset for a blind old man. (I'm also told that .223 ammo will be easier to find if all hell breaks loose on the homefront.) Bought mine from a local dealer, not because I couldn't find one through this forum, but because I found exactly what I was looking for from folks I do a lot of business with. I also found great help from cheaperthandirt.com and johnmasen.com for mags, ammo and accessories. You are limited, (thanks to that fine arkansan former president and child molester), to the number of upgrades you might add, but the weapon performs well right out of the box. Cheaperthandirt.com had 30rd mags (Triple-K pre-ban, legal to own) and I ordered 4. One was flawless, one worked well with a little tweaking, and two were poorly constructed junk, but they happily took those back and offered a refund. It seems that as the deadline for pre-ban mag construction approached, a lot of manufacturers got sloppy in an attempt to produce volume. Cheaperthandirt.com also has a wide supply of ammo and accessories (kinda like being a kid at Christmas). johnmasen.com has been very helpful in providing an armorers video on the mini 14, a great flash supressor with hk sights, and a bipod for those days when I want to play army.:rapid: They also have a 10 round mag that looks like Ruger original in the pics, but they haven't shipped mine yet, so I don't know how well it works. :usa:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts