Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ProMag 10 Rounds Mags I ordered from fourfourmag.com arrived yesterday. They look fine, insert fine, and in general appear to be good quality. They "move around" a little bit, but no more than the PMI 30 round magazines I have used.

Hopefully I can use the ProMags this weekend and give y'all a report.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'll be interested to hear your report. I just ordered ten more. Internally, they are covered in a white grease. I disassembled them and cleaned them up. I was always taught you want your magazines dry to avoid dirt build up.

Did you have to trim the follower at all? I noticed half of mine would bind near the right front of the magazine (if you are holding it as if you were going to insert it in the gun). I took an exacto knife and trimmed the side of the follower and they function perfect.

So far, after very minor trimming, they function 100% for me. I actually like them better than 30 rounders. I can get prone easy and they fit in my Garand en-bloc web belt.

Dave

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Dave3006
.... I just ordered ten more. ...
So far, after very minor trimming, they function 100% for me. I actually like them better than 30 rounders.

Dave
TEN MORE! I bet you are on Mark's Christmas list, for sure! :D

No, I've not done anything to the magazines yet, although I did try to peer down inside to see if I could see that white grease you mentioned about a week ago. I couldn't see any, but maybe it was further down than I could see without a flashlight.

I hope I don't have to modify them at all (I'm lazy), but is so, thanks for the info on how to do so.

I also like the idea and size of the 10 round magazines. The 30s are just too big for my use, but I did want a couple of them "just in case". :D I have 3 of these, I may get another couple if these work out welll in my rifle. I went through hell and high water to get these magazines: I ordered them right after New Years, but had trouble with that "Pay Pal" 44mag uses, the check took forever to show up, then Mark was out of magazines, etc, etc.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ten more - Are you giving them out as door prizes?;)

I just finished cleaning all the white lithium grease out of my two ProMags. Thanks Dave!:D
I had only tried out one of them with 10 rounds. Thankfully because of your post I decided to open mine up & look around inside - found plenty of grease.:mad: Cleaned them out w/ a little solvent, applied a little dry lube, and will test them out this weekend.
:ar15:

·
Registered
275 Posts
You can never be too rich, to thin, or have too many magazines...

Did any of your magazines bind near the front like I described? The result will be that the magazine will want to feed the round with the tip down and it caused some terrible jams in my rifle. Once the follower was trimmed to move freely, this problem went away.

Dave

·
Registered
224 Posts
I did not notice any binding, and I did look for it. Although I'll hold back judgement untill I get to the range.

I was pleased with the overall quality (fit & finish) of the mag. It's the closest thing to a ruger mag I've seen. Nicer quality than the PMI's I have.

" You can never be too rich, to thin, or have too many magazines... "

You got that right!
But I'll stick to collecting 30 rounders while you can get them.:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Howdy, this is Mark at fourfourmag.com again. Thank you guys for your orders, I am sorry they were delayed as I had a bunch of problems with my mail lately. I ended up buying a pitney bowes postage meter and handling it all myself so everything is running smoothly now.

Dave, as far as the magazines "catching" in the front this is the first I have heard of that. I checked the ones I have in stock and couldn't get that to happen. If you have any problems with functioning just send them back.

ProMag seems to use a lot of greese on their springs and so far I haven't seen any excessive dirt build up, on the other hand I don't see any problems with running them dry either.

If anyone else reading the board needs some mags I am offering lower prices on orders of orders of 10+ magazines. Blued and stainless are the same price $18ea, 6/$95, 10/$155, 20/$300. Shipping is free on orders over $100. See www.fourfourmag.com

Thanks and if you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected]

-Mark Gleason
fourfourmag.com

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks fourfourmag for the offer. Out of the twenty I ordered, 10 had this problem. I spoke to the company president of Promag, Chris. Nice guy. He suggested triming them. It took all of 60 seconds to do. He also offered to replace the bad ones. I appreciated the offer from both of you. However, the fix was so easy that I won't have to take him up on it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Dave3006
However, the fix was so easy that I won't have to take him up on it.
Hey Dave, since you're the resident expert on "trimming" the followers, why not take some photos and post them! :)

I hope to get out to the range this weekend and use the ProMags I've recently gotten form 44mag.com. Hopefully I won't need to do any trimming.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Mark at FourFour Mag, I attempted to order 2 PMI 10 round mags today using your site. Despite the fact the "shopping cart" showed two mags 1 stainless and 1 blue, the final bill charged to my paypal account only showed 18.00 plus 3 for shipping for a total of $21.00???? What do I have to do, order another on a different order?

Larry C

1 - 13 of 13 Posts