Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mini keeps misfiring once every 5 to 15 rounds. I've tried 4 or 5 kinds of ammo including reloads, so i don't think it's the primers. Anybody have any suggestions.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi there,
I had this same problem with my mini a while ago. Do you have just a little tiny mark on the primer when it misfires?? I replaced my recoil and hammer springs with Wolff extra power springs. A few hundred rounds later and not a misfire since. I believe the springs solved dr_ed's problem as well.
Check it out http://www.gunsprings.com/
Good Luck!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the primer strikes are very faint, however if i rechamber the same round it always goes off no problem. I think the springs may be the problem.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That is the same deal I had. Try the springs first and if that doesn't solve the problem maybe send it in to Ruger. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hank, I had a problem like that a while back. It was caused by a burr on my extractor, keeping the extractor from opening to grasp the case rim about 1 in 5 shots. I would get a misfire, and a very light pin mark since the case rim was not seated into the bolt face.

Do this next time it misfires: carefully pull the slide rod back, and see if the case follows the bolt. If not this is your problem. I fixed mine by very carefully stoneing by hand with a fine stone to remove the burr, being careful not to change the extractor angles. Never had another misfire.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice guys I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one other question, what is the purpose of a stronger recoil spring. Does it reduce recoil a noticable amount?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I didn't notice any reduction in recoil when I installed it. I think the stronger recoil spring is not so much to reduce recoil but to really slam the bolt home, making sure that the bolt is sitting right where it is supposed to. Just my guess...

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hank, some members have had problem with consistant pin strikes with the harder to fire berdian primed ammo such as the wolf. The stronger slide rod spring, increases the inertia on the firing pin, and making shure the extractor opens to grasp the rim. The only down side I can think of is firing pin life?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you change the firing pin on a mini without much work, or do you need to take it to a smithy? I've noticed in the manual that it suggests not trying to break the bolt down any further.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Ruger designates the firing pin as a factory fitted part. A couple of members replaced their broken pins with after market ones, and they broke shortly after. Sending the bolt in Ruger fits the pin to your bolt. You can order an extra fitted bolt complete for about $75, if you are worried about having spare parts. If you remove the extractor, and spring, the firing pin will come out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hanksr, I have seen this problem with some of the Mini's I work on. Most of the time the problem is in the bolt. First check to see if the bolts locks into full battery(all the way forward). If this doesn't happen, check the bolt. The part that you will be checking will be the extractory plunger. Sometimes this will not allow the bolt to come into full battery. To fix this Ruger recommends that you file the plunger. Check the bolt itself, making sure there are no burrs that will interfere with its movement. Next thing to check would be the gas port assembly. The Gas tube should have a little movement in it. If it doesn't replace it. Next check the gas port assembly blocks. Making sure that the block is evenly gapped on both sides, and that the allen screws are not loose. Last thing to check would be the recoil spring. I usually check the length against a new spring. If I find that the old length is 1/2" or greater, I will replace it. If all of this doesn't correct your problem, check to see whether you are riding the action. Sometimes this causes this type of problem to happen. I hope this helps. R6721:p

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is riding the action?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Originally posted by cajungeo
Hank, --- The stronger slide rod spring, increases the inertia on the firing pin, and making shure the extractor opens to grasp the rim. The only down side I can think of is firing pin life?
Correction: the slide rod spring will NOT increase the inertia on the firing pin. It will seat the bolt face as R6721 has said.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts