Perfect Union banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!

Hoping someone can offer some advice as to what I can do about this:

Installing the Sparta, the trigger group was very tight, and had to be tapped back from the magwell with a rubber mallet. I get it all to fit, but locking the trigger guard down is also very hard.

The issue I have is that I wont get a 10 round mag (or longer, I assume) to lock into place. It will fit, but the mag release does not snap back like it's supposed to.
When I take the trigger guard back out of its locked position, the 10 round mag will lock in with the mag release. If I then proceed to lock the trigger guard back down, the mag release is seized, and will not budge.

My 5 round mag works like normal, but is also a little hard to get to lock in.

From examining it, it really looks like my action doesn't sit far enough back in the stock. The trigger group, when it's all the way back, has to be pulled forward 1/4" to slide down the track in the action and for the 'hooks' to lock into it.
I just can't see why this would put such a strain on the magazine release. The action sits snugly in the stock, the back of the gasblock looks like it fits perfectly with heat shield and front of the stock.

Anybody had this problem, or something similar? And is there a quick fix? Please advice.

I have sent an email to promag about it, no answer yet, but I figure I'd check with the users here as well. Sending it back overseas isn't really an option, so I have to fix this myself.

Thanks for reading! :)

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
It sounds like the mag well on the new stock is too tight. Can you measure the old and compare?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By tight do you mean narrow or short? ..or maybe both? Because the width isn't a problem, but angling the mag into the well, it does hit the forward part of the stock's magwell.
I have had a good look at this, but since the mag snaps in ok with the trigger guard unlocked, I think it has to be something else. I will take some measurements in the hogue and sparta stock just to be sure.

·
ANTI anti-gun activist
1,287 Posts
Hello everybody!

Hoping someone can offer some advice as to what I can do about this:

Installing the Sparta, the trigger group was very tight, and had to be tapped back from the magwell with a rubber mallet. I get it all to fit, but locking the trigger guard down is also very hard.

The issue I have is that I wont get a 10 round mag (or longer, I assume) to lock into place. It will fit, but the mag release does not snap back like it's supposed to.
When I take the trigger guard back out of its locked position, the 10 round mag will lock in with the mag release. If I then proceed to lock the trigger guard back down, the mag release is seized, and will not budge.

My 5 round mag works like normal, but is also a little hard to get to lock in.

From examining it, it really looks like my action doesn't sit far enough back in the stock. The trigger group, when it's all the way back, has to be pulled forward 1/4" to slide down the track in the action and for the 'hooks' to lock into it.
I just can't see why this would put such a strain on the magazine release. The action sits snugly in the stock, the back of the gasblock looks like it fits perfectly with heat shield and front of the stock.

Anybody had this problem, or something similar? And is there a quick fix? Please advice.

I have sent an email to promag about it, no answer yet, but I figure I'd check with the users here as well. Sending it back overseas isn't really an option, so I have to fix this myself.

Thanks for reading! :)
lol wtf would you buy that stock ? around here that's how we can tell the imaginary wanna be gi joes from the outdoors-man :lol:

buy American, buy mature...

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Does the gas block fit all the way into the stock?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tri70: I think that might be at least part of the problem.. The gas block could be too tight against the front of the stock. Meaning the little edge on the front of the Sparta could be too long for the space on the back of the gas block.

I am a little apprehensive about taking material off there though, since I want a snug and tight fit to it all.

I am going to measure the action when it's in the Target thumbhole and the Hogue stock too see exactly how long the gas block should sit from the mag release.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Taking some material off the front of the stock should not be a problem. I filed my Hogue stock down a little to improve fit. If you take to much off you can use a bedding compound and build back up.

Reactions: Scarrow

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a Sparta and also took some of the front of the stock off and also used epoxy to bed the metal foreend liner into the stock. I used a Dremel tool sanding cylinder to remove enough of the Sparta stock to fit the complete Ruger forend liner with end-cap. I have no magazine fitment problems. I added the tactical magazine release also. I give the Sparta stock high marks for ergodynamics especially the cheek rest and pistol grip. I have a 581 Tactical installed and I'm darn satisfied with the stock. I've fired many rounds with this combo and it's go-to-go.
D T can pound sand with his comments. I thought that poser was gone.

·
ANTI anti-gun activist
1,287 Posts
tell me why you would want to add a stock that looks like something out of star-ship troopers, shortens the sight radius, takes away advantage to open top bolt design that is easier to clear malfunctions and adds two pounds to it ? gonna swing from target to target like a log.

it is the truth no one buys that horse**** here. i don't live in the mall, the closets one is 3 hours away.

makes me think of a 16 year old putting loud exhaust on his car because he thinks its cool.

you don't have to be all pissy when someone disagrees and ask a question.... grow up

·
Registered
91 Posts
DT you know not of what you speak. Sight radius is the distance between the front sight and the rear sight. A stock can't change the sight radius. None of what you say makes sense. I suggest you just sit there and try to learn something instead of again making yourself look uninformed. Why the F am I even giving you the time of day!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for your input guys.

I have been fiddling about with it a bit now, without making any changes, and I got a tip from Promag tech support saying I should try to heat the polymer up a bit. "It could be warped from sitting in storage too long"
It helped, the 10 round mag snapped in a lot easier, still tight, but 15 minutes later when it all cooled down, it gradually went back to same old; no lock.

Heating it made it more flexible around the mag well/trigger group, and made it all easier to assemble. ..looks like I'll have to shave something off somewhere after all.

And as for why I would buy a stock like this? It looks cool, it feels great. The ergonomics and adjustablity makes it fit me a lot better than the target thumbhole that came with it, and the Hogue I tried feels way too small for me. I am going to shoot it scoped, both for hunting and plinking. Sight radius doesn't matter, there are no original fixed sights on a Target Mini.

And happily: So far I shoot better with this stock than any of the others.

I don't mind the added weight of the Sparta, and if people think a light rifle is easier to get on target than a heavy one, they either need to start shooting target competitions or 'hit the gym' do to something about that upper body.

There are no malls here either, Drache Teufel. Closest McDs is 3 hours away, and I grew up outdoors, hunting, fishing and trapping. There is no checklist to follow to identify an outdoorsman.
I have frequented forums with better trolls than you. They all follow the same recipe: Nothing to contribute, just inconsequential comments meddling in what other people do and say. Not funny, not smart.. Just tedious, best ignored. :)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Let me guess: the 10s and 20s are aftermarket?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
No, they are all Ruger originals actually. The 5 is too short to cause any trouble, it snaps right it, but with the 30, the curve, or the tab on the back of it, seems like it's thinner than the 10 and the 20s. It allows the mag release to come forward enough to snap over the tab.
It's still a stock problem though.. I can provoke the same fault when the action is out of the archangel if I tilt the trigger group down while it's locked into the action. I think this is what happens in the stock: It's forced down at the heel, so to speak.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
A dremmel tool will help

Or use a file on the stock opening after you observe where the interference is coming from. Measure up the 30 rd mag and see what the difference is between it and the ones that don't fit. Well said regarding our resident drooler.:lol:

·
Gun Owner Hell (AKA Cali)
74 Posts
I have frequented forums with better trolls than you. They all follow the same recipe: Nothing to contribute, just inconsequential comments meddling in what other people do and say. Not funny, not smart.. Just tedious, best ignored. :)
Better to remain silent and have people think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.