Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody.
I've just tried to put a brand new Clyde Armoy SCAR stock on my 188 series Mini14. I got it in the stock, fits tight and secure, and my trigger assembly goes all the way in as it should, but it wont snap down to hold it in place. I can get it all the way to touch metal on metal, but it just doesnt lock down. Tried calling the company earlier but I guess its after business hours. Any ideas on this?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Your receiver might not be all the way seated. The fit is quite snug to say the least. I had to slightly shave the stock where the receiver lugs slide into it on both of my scar stocks. Also make sure that the receiver is not canting when you are sliding it in as some have also had problems with this.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For me it was when the trigger guard was very hard to latch in. I would make sure that this is the problem before you start taking any material off of the stock because taking too much off could affect the snug fit that you want with this stock. Can you post pictures from the side view showing how much gap there is between the receiver and the top of the stock?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Before you do any shaving, make sure it's necessary. How hard are you pushing on the trigger guard? Mine takes a little muscle to get it to lock.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
It seems to be pretty evenly in all the way around. Whats the best indicator it needs to be shaved down?

Thanks
I've installed these stocks on three Mini 14's and one Mini 30.
If it's binding, it's because either you are not installing it squarely
or you are just not seating the receiver in the stock body.

No shaving is needed, call Clyde Armory if needed, but do NOT shave the stock!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've installed these stocks on three Mini 14's and one Mini 30.
If it's binding, it's because either you are not installing it squarely
or you are just not seating the receiver in the stock body.

No shaving is needed, call Clyde Armory if needed, but do NOT shave the stock!
In my case, Clyde Armory is the one who shaved the first one to make it fit because the receiver lugs were not fitting properly into the stock. This happened twice with two separate rifles, both 184 series. I shaved the second one. I agree that contacting Andrew at Clyde to get his take on it should be the first course of action. I had a third that was enough out of spec that my magazines would not eject properly and had to be replaced. In all three cases Clyde was great to deal with. So as faawrenchbndr stated, "If it's binding, it's because either you are not installing it squarely or you are just not seating the receiver in the stock body". This second diagnosis may have to be rectified by shaving an ever so slight amount off the stock after all, but I would let Clyde make that call. Mine was pretty extreme where the trigger guard wasn't very close to even touching closed. Hopefully they will get you straightened around, but shaving MAY be needed.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Good advice.
That piece of hardware costs as much as the rifle. Contact CA as suggested...let them tell you what to do (or not do..)

·
Registered
103 Posts
With my first two stocks, I don't even think that it was the stocks that were "off". I think that there may have been some slight variation in the size of the receiver lugs over the years. Mine are 20+ years old and I can see how there may have been some changes during that time because I believe the stocks worked on other Minis that Clyde tried them on. The amount that I took off was very little but it made a huge difference but it is definetely better to let them decide if it is needed because of the cost of the stock. When I shaved my second stock I think that I must have shaved/test-fit/repeat at least 25+ times so that I didn't remove too much material and ruin the stock.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE

Finally got to speak to someone from Clyde Armory on the phone, explained the problem, they said only thing possible is that the gun isnt seated all the way into the stock. So I put is into a vice and twisted till I thought the vice was about to break off the workbench. But it worked, still doesnt look to be any gap, just like before, but with a little extra effort I was able to lock down the trigger assembly. So the gun is all together now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sounds like the same problem that I had with mine. I would assume that eventually the fit might become a little easier with more assembling and disassembling. I guess a little tight is better than a little loose when its comes to bedding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The problem that I'm having is that after coaxing the Mini-14 (187 series) into the stock, I can secure the trigger assembly but then the bolt won't release. It slide forward about 1/4" then drags/catches on something. If I release the catch on the trigger assembly and hold it flush and just short of latching the bolt cycles fine. Inspecting the empty stock doesn't reveal any obvious damage or malformation that may have happened as part of the 'coaxing' process (rubber mallet). The Mini-14 appears to seat square and all the way in.

If sent the info off to Clyde but looking for any other thoughts/assistance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
to red falcon !!

hi , i had the same probleme as you for a few days with an ati stock!!

how did you resolv this probleme??

please if u could answer me , cause i m waiting for a scar stock soon ;;;if i will had the same problme it would be nice for me to be able to resolve it!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.