Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the latest scoop is on these mags? Is most people still satisfied with the Pro Mags in both 223 and 7.62x39? How are the 10 rd Masens doing? Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I now own 2 of the "10-round" Masen magazines for the Mini-Thirty (7.62x39). They actually only reliably hold 9 rounds. If you put 10 in, it is near impossible to cycle that first round into the chamber. With 9, it feeds, but you have to smack the oprod with your palm to advance the bolt. After that, they seem to feed reliably and lock the bolt back after firing the last round. I have NOT actually had time to go to the range, so this experience is solely based on manually cycling the rifle.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Op, I own 3 John Mason mags in .223. They are almost as reliable as the Ruger factory brand. No problems period. They also sell them in 20 and 30. I do not have any experience with these yet, I would imagine that they are of the same good quality...

Larry:usa:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I just got a 10 round mini-14 mag as a trial, from Midway and it fits good and tight like a factory mag and cycles fine I will try it for real this weekend. It is nickle plated and looks good against my Hogue stock. I found a Triple K mini-30 mag at a local store. I tried it because the owner said I could return it if it didn't work. It didn't but he offered me another one to try and that one did work.
I won't trust any other Triple Ks though.

If the Promag works out I will get some more. Midway had great service I got some surplus 30.06 and the mag, ordered Tuesday delivered on Friday MO to NJ, UPS ground. Man does not live by 223 alone.

TC:cannon:

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've been to ProMag Industries or rather the
company, as it really a tool company. I live
about 60 miles from it and its sorta on the
way to the beach out here in Ca. Real nice
people. I went in the office thinking I'll probably
get the mags and then chased out. However
a man came out of the main office and showed
me some of their products. He explained that
many of the mag springs are made out of
surgical wire and heat treated to withstand
many loads. The mags for the mini-14 and 30
are top grade piano wire.

They sell a lot of mags to different police depts
around their area. You should see the mag for
the 50 cal. AWESOME. I was pretty impressed
with the way I was treated since it was the day
before Thanksgiving, and they were closing early.

I have had the Promag 10 rdner's for almost
two yrs now. They still work great. I have found
that they work best with 9 rnd's so thats what I
use. Like I said they work well. I know they
are high but what isn't...that works..bg:rolleyes:

·
Registered
689 Posts
bg's correct they are nice people. I have some of their 20 rnd pre ban AR mags. I don't know if any of you are familar with them but they are a top quality heavy gauge blued steel copy of a GI 20 rnd. mag. that the feed lips will never split on! I believe they made some parkerized ones also. Anyways I figured I'd call and inquire about getting a few spare followers and springs and see what they'd run$. The woman I spoke to said no problem where do you want them shipped. Well I told her my address and asked about the cost. NO CHARGE mind you there is nothing wrong with the pre ban mags I told her I just wanted to get some spare parts. About 2 wks later 10 springs,followers,and floorplate retainers show up NO CHARGE! Thats definetly the way you get customers and keep them. After that I ordered 4 of their post ban 10 rnd. AR mags from CDNN when they had them on sale for $9.99. ea. These are also a high quality blued steel copy of the 20rnd GI just like the pre ban and same length as the 20rnd. but with a indentation on each side of the mag so the follower will not depress any further limiting capacity to 10 rnds. They seem to make a quality product and actually care if it works.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I got my Promag 10 rounders to the range Saturday and they worked flawlessly. I was totally satisfied with them. After I got the nickle one I ordered 2 blued ones from Midway. It is a little tough getting the 10th round in but fit and feed is great. The only down side was having to give the operating rod a little assist on feeding the first round.
The KKK mini-30 mag was crap wouldn't feed more then 3 round with out a poblem back it goes.
I have to find Promag mini-30 mags.

TC:cannon:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am guessing that those promags will losen up a bit over time and use. Some day they may function well with all ten rounds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts