Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to reloading, which primer tool would be recommended? I bought the RCBS kit and hate the primer tool that comes with the kit, very problematic. Every thing else in the kit seem to be top notch and works well.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I have the RCBS Universal Priming tool. It too works great. I had the Lee tool and it worked well. The RCBS doesn't need shell holders. Note that the Lee uses a special shell holder. Different from the one used with your dies. But with the Lee you can buy a whole set of shell holders pretty cheaply.

·
CantRe Member
628 Posts
I use an old Lyman hand priming tool.

I set all my bolt action rifle primers .002 deep. This is essential for accurate rifle loads (IMO)

Handguns and semi-auto rifles don't matter as much.

Consistency is always the key to accuracy.

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
I went through a couple Lee tools and then finally spent the extra $20 on the RCBS universal priming tool. I love that thing. I suppose it would be a pain if you had to change a lot between large and small primer, but I only have one caliber that uses large pistol magnums and I don't shoot much through the firearm (hunting rig).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Shoot, I still use the press. Got me one of those RCBS hand primers but it messes with my rhythm... I'm just an old dog.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the RCBS Universal Priming tool. It too works great. I had the Lee tool and it worked well. The RCBS doesn't need shell holders. Note that the Lee uses a special shell holder. Different from the one used with your dies. But with the Lee you can buy a whole set of shell holders pretty cheaply.
This is what I use as well. I like the fact I can feel the primer bottom out and it also lets me feel the amount of "grip" the primer pocket has on the primer.

Occasionally, I'll have a case loaded at the upper end of the pressure range cause the primer pocket to expand slightly. Cases that exhibit this condition should be discarded as the primer can back out slightly resulting in a slam fire or fall out completely resulting in a misfire..

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Priming in the press is a pain as you have to lift arm on the arm, plus not a good "feel" to seating primers like on a hand tool. I also use the R.C.B.S Universal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use the press like Poor Dog. Works good and smooth for me and I`m not out to set a world record. My thumb does a feel/fit over each primer for depth and the operation is comfortable for me. Who else am I supposed to please.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.