Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking at a Norinco SKS that includes a couple hundred rounds of steel ammo. The receiver was modified (drilled and tapped) for a scope mount. Does that hurt the value? He's asking $550 for the SKS, 4x28 scope and ammo.

BTW. wood stock, no bayonet or mount.

·
Registered
155 Posts
SKS's are not bought for their future value but for their utility. They are old work horses that shoot when dirty, wet, or muddy--like their prodigy the AK. I have one that I bought 20+ yrs ago that was already "bubb'd"--folding stock, scope, bipod. It is worth 8-9 times what I gave for it and has many rounds down the tube. It is still very accurate and I still shoot it at 200 yds comfortably. The $550 is a bit much IMO unless the glass is high dollar.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Prices are high right now? But if you desperate then your forced to pay

Hi, I'm looking at a Norinco SKS that includes a couple hundred rounds of steel ammo. The receiver was modified (drilled and tapped) for a scope mount. Does that hurt the value? He's asking $550 for the SKS, 4x28 scope and ammo.

I would say NO on the value being hurt, seems high for my area, maybe not yours? Then ammo helps, what scope is with it?

SKS's are not bought for their future value but for their utility. They are old work horses that shoot when dirty, wet, or muddy--like their prodigy the AK. I have one that I bought 20+ yrs ago that was already "bubb'd"--folding stock, scope, bipod. It is worth 8-9 times what I gave for it and has many rounds down the tube. It is still very accurate and I still shoot it at 200 yds comfortably. The $550 is a bit much IMO unless the glass is high dollar.
Agreed

·
Registered
602 Posts
If the SKS is in very good excellent condition with matching serial numbers. It might be worth it at todays inflated prices. A few months back you could get a Norinco in decent shape for 250 or so. But now with all the buying going on they are going for around 400 and up on GB.
The scope is worth about 80.00 new. Barska scopes are not really very good quality.
7.62 x39 ammo has doubled in price So 200 rounds is worth around 100.00 at todays prices. If you can find it. Clip on deflectors are cheap around 8.00
It depends on how bad you want a SKS. If they ban imported semi autos. Then it will hold its value. If nothing happens and things die down the price will go down to where they were.
Sounds to me the guy is just taking advantage of the panic buying and trying to make a few bucks on an old beater. If the gun doesn't look like it has been drug thru half the rice paddys in china.. Throw 450 in his face and see what he does, its a good place to start.
Or wail till the panic dies down and get one cheaper. I was going to buy a Dragunov with my Bonus. But no way i am paying these prices now days. I will wait till things settel down.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts

Hi outhere99;

You said that the receiver was drilled and tapped - are you sure its the receiver and not the receiver cover? An all matching screwed-in barrel preban SKS with bayo complete as issued in pristine shape is definitely worth more than a bubba'd blaster in my book.

$550 sounds really high unless its a pristine "as issued" PLA rifle as above. As mentioned, Barska isn't a particularly good brand of scope.

I'm still kicking myself for passing on a Russian SKS 'bout 3 years back for $450, but it was a pristine collectors piece. Funny how I always end up regretting the ones that I let get away but seldom feel the same about buying...

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
I'd see if he will take a counter offer. I would offer $100 less than the asking price and buy it if he comes down $75. The holes in the reciever definately effects the market value on this piece. Its worth buying as a shooter if the price is right, $475 or less IMHO. BTW the scope is cheap crap and I would not count it as adding any value to the package. Basicly, I would value the rifle itself at $400 and the ammo at $75,

my 2c

·
Registered
23 Posts
Remember the good old days when they were $75-$100 and ammo was around $1.90 a box? Now a days $400-$600 folks are paying on Armslist and thats not even for the Russian ones.I just paid $300 for a 1958 Chinese Type 56 and that was hard when thinking about how much they used to go for....But it shoots good and the furniture was not like a piece of firewood.....

·
Old Hardheaded Okie
9 Posts
I've been seeing people ask prices in that range but not finding takers. It does seem a bit pricey by Oklahoma standards. Try looking around your area or checking Armslist and see what the going price (not the asking price) is in your area

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.