Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read where you can put a screw through the front of the stock to put pressure on the barrel instead of using shims. This seems like a good idea, anyone here tried it?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey Swede. What you are describing is the Bughole tuner. It adjusts the barrel harmonics to match the ammo you are using. It cost about $15. I want one, but have not been able to find the sight. I may have to make one if I can't find one for sale. I like this one best as it is less obtrusive, and adjustable.

There are also 3 other types of tuners, one fits on the end of the barrel, and has micrometer adjustments. They cost about $100, and I believe you have to thread the barrel. This type is mostly for benchrest shooters.

Another type of tuner is a sliding tuner. It is a counter weight which you slide along the length of the barrel to find the sweet spot. I have seen them for sale, and I have seen homemade ones.

Pressure pads, this is done by experimenting with card stock thickness, and location in the forestock. Once the sweet spot is found, the cards, can be measured, and the barrel can be bedded to form a pad, same thickness, same spot. Disadvantage is if your ammo changes then your pad needs to change.

·
Registered
630 Posts
ICM is right. His sight has been down for some reason. I think his address is:

Hightower Innovations, Inc. 2416 34th Avenue, Sacramento, Ca 95822

The cost of the tuner is somewhere around $15 dollars. When I spoke to them about the tuner I was concerned because I have a Bell and Carlson stock. Appears that the tuner will work but you have to anchor it somewhat different.
I think its a heck of an items for a better shooting weapon. Oh ya, there was a concern about a fluted barrel and the tuner not lining up right???????

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I have used JB weld on my boat. It is like iron. I believe when I bug my A&B fluted, a little JB to fill in the flute to solve that problem.;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After going to the sight Icm supplied this may be the cheapest part I've looked at so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts