Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited a old 1950's Winchester model 70 bolt action chambered in 300H&H magnum but its been re-chambered for 300H&H Ackley improved. My questions are How do I reload this caliber? I have a rcbs press but the dies my grandfather had were lost. and he died before teaching me how to reload it. Does anyone have any experience or loading data, I have searched the web but I don't know what to trust as reliable sources

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
You can have the dies made, RCBS and several others offer that service
Brass can be made from 300 H&H (fire form) or 300 Weatherby or 375 H&H (requires the dies) etc.
FWIW, the 300 Weatherby is just another variant on "improving" the H&H case
As far as data goes, you may need to do a little extrapolating with case capacities IE half way between a 300 H&H and a 300 Weatherby? Powder charge will be about 1/2 way between the 2 also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even If i fireform 300H&H rounds i will still need the die for 300 improved 40 degree shoulder correct?. I Have never done any reloading myself only given brass to others that did. But with 223 & 308 ammo costs on the rise, I have been wanting to start. This gun has given me the motivation to actually start.

In the stuff I received there is a large glass jar full of powder, I believe its imr 4350 because that is what is written on the last of the 300 reloads my grandfather had. He supposedly had the dies for this caliber but no one knows where they are. he had two dies in a box labeled 30-06 how would i be able to determine if only one die is 06 and the other is for the 300improved?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
You will need the dies. Check with the die makers, all they usually ask for is 3 fired cases (and money)
Sorry to say, I'd spread that powder on the lawn (makes good fertilizer), as you don't KNOW exactly what it is.
Rifle dies come in a 2pc set, sizing and seating. A 30-06 case should fall into a 300AI die, but will be a tight fit into a -06 die. Also, depending on the age of the die, it should be marked as to what it is.

Go out and purchase a good manual (or 2) and study the "intro to reloading" section (BTW, my top 2 manual choices are Nosler and Sierra)

·
Registered
15 Posts
SODAK ew what a horrible gun and calibre I think you should send them both to me and I being the kind and helpful soul that I am will live with the pressure of figuring it all out. OK seriously now if you look up P.O. Ackley on the net It will lead you to all kinds of sites,probably even a few that might have someone wanting to sell the dies.And ditto on the get rid of the ???powder in a jar.Good luck and hope this helps.(if not you could reread the first part of my reply:)
Mike

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
save that powder - you may not be able to load with it... but it may be of some use some time.

(i mean some of it could be used as an effective emergency fire starter for your emergency kit, etc.)

waste not want not.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
save that powder - you may not be able to load with it... but it may be of some use some time.

(i mean some of it could be used as an effective emergency fire starter for your emergency kit, etc.)

waste not want not.
<_<Ditto on the powder-it can be used for "material removal"at a later date!:blink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.