Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do M1A's come in a pre or post ban configuration?? Just purchased a Polytech M14S and would like to install a conventional flash supressor. Can I?? The receiver appears to be dated 1964

------------------
"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason

No Longer Involved
There are others here more knowledgeable, but I'll take a shot.

While Norincos are preban by date, they are NOT assault weapons under the 1994 AWB, so they can't be converted today with the addition of more evil features.

A good example is a Ruger Mini-14. Out of the box, most came with no evil features (flash suppressor, pistol grip, folding stock, etc.). So even if my early Mini-14 is pre-1994, I can't go put a flash hider and a folding stock on it, because I'd be manufacturing a AW after the ban....

------------------
[email protected]
http://perfectunion.com/

Registered
How are the "gun police" supposed to know what any particular gun predating the 94 (or 89 if imported) ban had or didn't have? My Mini-14 has a flash suppressor and bayonet lug, and it was that way when I bought it, and as far as I know it was that way when the previous owner bought it. And how do I know it DIDN'T have, say, a folding stock at some point before I bought it? Not to mention, if it is ALREADY an "assault weapon" since it has three evil features (detachable mag, flash suppressor, bayo lug), is adding a folding stock going to make it MORE of an assault weapon?

As I think I've seen others say, as long as you aren't out brandinshing it at your neighbors or shooting up schoolyards, you should be safe. Taking it to a public range is probably an iffy proposition, if "black guns" are common there I don't see much problem, but if you get the hairy eyeball if you take, say, a stock SKS shooting there, they would probably crap their pants and you might have the range officer scrutinizing your weapon and giving you grief. All this is in theory though, I tend to avoid ranges.

Registered
Alas, folks, this may at some point require a BATF accusee to prove a negative.

M14-type rifles should be not a problem re: the shooting public, as everyone is used to seeing M1As & the like with "real" flash hiders, even post-ban.

Here's the funny part. You can add a real fh to an M14S regardless of its import date, so long as you have the critical 10 US parts. The solid fh on the M14S was due to the Bush AW Import Ban, not the Crime Bill of '94. Of course, even with your 10 parts, you gotta lose the bayo lug as that would be the second ugly feature & thus constitute the making of an AW after the witching hour.

------------------
Best regards,

Walt Kuleck
Fulton Armory Webmaster

Registered
Polytech's M-14/S was first built in '89 according to an article I read by Garry James in G&A. First years of importation was proably '90. As far as Norinco goes that I do not know but i am unaware of any Chinese manu.M-14 type rifles being made before '75, one year after springfield Inc. made their first M1-A. Anyone else know?

------------------
Mancos Tom

Registered
M.T.--- Are you looking at the serial number??? The Poly M14's have 4 digit serial no.s located at the rear left hand side of the receiver. I've owned 4 of the Polys and all 4 have been in the serial no. 0XXX range.
As for the flash hider, I traded into my first M-14s back in 1993/94, it had a G.I. hider already installed. When I sold it at a gun show I told the buyer that he might want to remove it (to avoid any legal hassles). He said," I'm not worried about it -I'm a cop". So, I think that it depends on the individual law enforcement officer that you may encounter. Some are normal guys and others may be hard cases. Just my thoughts....Good Luck!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts