Perfect Union banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this info at RugerForum.com • View topic - Differences in pre-ban and new Mini-14 magazines?

There is no difference in the 30's between pre-ban and post ban. Both look the same, and have RUGER stamped on the side and the Sturm-Ruger Mini 14 baseplate.

To my knowledge, there are 4 different 20's.

1. The original 20 which was a cut down 30, that had RUGER on the side, and a funky baseplate with 4 pins that hold it on. I'm not sure what the baseplate says on the bottom, if anything at all?

2. The 20's that came out in the 1980's said Sturm Ruger and Company, Southport Conn USA on the side. These have the Sturm-Ruger Mini 14 baseplate with the eagle.

3. The LE marked one's. These said Sturm-Ruger and Company, Southport Conn USA on the side, and right below that, it says: "RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT/GOVERNMENT USE ONLY 91494" These have the the Sturm-Ruger Mini baseplate with the eagle.

4. And lastly are the new 20's. These say Sturm-Ruger and Company, Southport, Conn USA on the side, but the font is different than the other 20's. These have the Sturm-Ruger Mini 14 baseplate with the eagle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks for the info, TFL. Definitely helpful when trying to sort out my several mags bought over the last 18 years!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found this info at RugerForum.com • View topic - Differences in pre-ban and new Mini-14 magazines?

There is no difference in the 30's between pre-ban and post ban. Both look the same, and have RUGER stamped on the side and the Sturm-Ruger Mini 14 baseplate.

To my knowledge, there are 4 different 20's.

1. The original 20 which was a cut down 30, that had RUGER on the side, and a funky baseplate with 4 pins that hold it on. I'm not sure what the baseplate says on the bottom, if anything at all?

2. The 20's that came out in the 1980's said Sturm Ruger and Company, Southport Conn USA on the side. These have the Sturm-Ruger Mini 14 baseplate with the eagle.

Found a problem with with this. I have two mags that were bought in 1980 no roll mark on side and have the Sturm-Ruger Mini 14 baseplate with the eagle.

3. The LE marked one's. These said Sturm-Ruger and Company, Southport Conn USA on the side, and right below that, it says: "RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT/GOVERNMENT USE ONLY 91494" These have the the Sturm-Ruger Mini baseplate with the eagle.

4. And lastly are the new 20's. These say Sturm-Ruger and Company, Southport, Conn USA on the side, but the font is different than the other 20's. These have the Sturm-Ruger Mini 14 baseplate with the eagle.

1 mag bought in 2010 but the front is not different then those in 2. above

Anybody have a mix of factory mags to campare this with.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
The description you originally posted is not complete. Your statement in red regarding #2 is an example of this.

I also have preban 30's that have no markings on the magazine body, and have seen 30's with LEO only markings.

The baseplates for the 20's listed in #1 have no markings.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A while back I posted a question here about identifying pre-ban mags. I got some plausible responses but nobody seem to know for sure. I sent an email to Ruger to try and get a solid answer. Here is that email.

Ruger Customer Support [email protected]
5:57 PM (3 hours ago)

to me
Dear Mr. XXXXXX ,

Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 08/17/2012
Request No: 150993

Comment / question:

Greetings,
I have a question regarding magazines for my mini-14
As I'm sure you are aware, here in MA any magazines over 10 rounds must be pre-ban (mfg before 9/14/94)
How can I tell when a mag was mfg? The ones between 94 and 04 are marked LEO, so those are obvious, but how can I tell the difference between one made pre 94 and one made post 04?
I just want to make sure that I keep it legal.
Thank You,
XXXX XXXXX

Response:
Unfortunately, there is no way to tell.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms

·
Registered
108 Posts
The above is the same response I received from Ruger a while back. Unfortunately by MA standards I will be guilty until I prove the mag to be pre-ban or I plead out due to lack of funding for an attorney.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am wondering if it would be safe to say that If a mag body has no roll marking or just RUGER stamped on it they would be pre ban ?

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
The above is the same response I received from Ruger a while back. Unfortunately by MA standards I will be guilty until I prove the mag to be pre-ban or I plead out due to lack of funding for an attorney.
I would print out a copy of Ruger's reponse and give it to your lawyer if it came to that. You are not obligated to incriminate yourself, so don't. Under your constitutional rights and criminal law, Ma. would have to prove your guilt, you are not required to prove your innocence.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts