Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Next month I be heading to Colorado to my brother's place about 1/2 mi from the Pike National Forest. We will be going on an ATV/Camping/Prairie Dog hunt.

So far I'm in the planning and acquisition stage. I got my Texas Off Road Decal today. Colorado honors it. Getting my new Honda Rancher outfitted. GPS holder, Rear view mirror, extended throttle, tool kit with Slime V tire pump, and repair kit, A box for rear Rack.

Am thinking about carrying my Mini-14 in this set up. What do you guys think.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20149&hasJS=true

I'm also taking 120 rounds .223 Winchester Varmint. In my rear box I'm packing my 10/22 folder with 1000 rounds of ammo. Also taking My new Kimber CDP11 Ultra and 100 rounds of 45APC ammo. Camping gear, first aid kit, food, water, 3 gal of extra fuel in a 3 gal boat gas tank.

OK am I forgetting anything? OK I haven't' forgotten the TP. I will post some pics of my outfit when I get it put together.

· Registered
232 Posts
Don't forget your out of state hunting license and you might check for a conservation stamp and possibly off road vehicle permits. Your brother should know about them. Please be aware that the fire danger is HIGH! Only 120 rounds? Most Pdogs I've shot have been 150-350 yds, they like open prairie, and the best area is east of Colorado Springs/ Pueblo unless he has some private property lined up. Good luck and happy hunting. How long you planning on being in Co.? If you have extra time maybe we can meet up to swap stories. I'm SW of Co. Spgs 35 miles.
Nick

· Registered
6,105 Posts
Sounds like fun. Sunscreen and bug dope might be helpful to pack, perhaps even some tweezers for the dongs since I don't think they could be very large.

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:eek:<_<:rolleyes: Sorry about the miss spelled word guys. I even used spell check and it didn't catch it.

I'll be there 1 week will stop in the Springs to get my license. Already have my off road permit. They honor other states off road permit for 30 days. Will be up about 9500 ft. There are a lot of prairie dogs up there. My brother got 101 last year.

Went there 2 years ago, but only stayed 1 day. I had caught a head cold and I couldn't breath. I was used to 9 ft elevation, and my brothers place is 9500 ft. As I descended my ears never popped. My head felt like it was about to explode, and I couldn't hear anything for 3 days till my ears popped. I hope things will be better this time.

We always watch the fire's. My brother is a volunteer fireman so that helps.

Yep just thru in my sunscreen you can really get burned up that high before you know it.

· Registered
215 Posts
I was station at Ft Carson in 79 and they used to give troops 1 month to get used to the altitude wed go down range and the Impact areas were covered with PD Holes must of been alot of deaf Dogs LOL . I read somewhere a few weeks ago that they are trying to ban hunting them thats gonna PO alot of people if it passes

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My brother told me a few years ago the ranchers were loosing so many calves to coyotes, the gov. encouraged thinning of the coyotes, and they even hunted them from aircraft.

They thinned the coyotes to the point that there was PD explosion as the coyote had kept them in check. Now there is overpopulation of the Prairie dogs. They are a pest, and serve no purpose except to host the Bubonic plague aka "The Black Death" with their flees. This is another example of the government trying to fix something by making it worse.

Now they serve another purpose - Target Practice!:D :sniper:

· Registered
745 Posts
Yeah I just moved to NM from GA. "Only"5300ft high, and it took me few weeks to get acclimated. Bring a few more rounds of ammo my friend, nothing worse for a hunt than running out. Would much rather bring some more home. Also don't forget snacks, If you're like me, you'll always get hungry on a hunt.

I'd like to mention the P dogs here on base are so tame, I can litterally walk up within 10ft of them. Now just get a MarkII suppressed and I'd be alright, LoL. JK!

Chuck

· Registered
10,504 Posts
I'd definately take more ammo and a backup gun, just in case.;) I've been going pheasant hunting in SD and last couple of years I've got to help the ranchers out by shooting p-dogs. The 1st year I think I shot 150 rds easy, not so much this last maybe 100 rds. I used my mini 14 and Savage Stevens 223, I brought 250 rds. If the area is big and lots of little targets, you don't want to run out of your favorite loads!;)

· Registered
10,504 Posts
I was reading the latest Outdoor Life mag and saw a small article about p-dogs so I decided to look at the Outdoor home page for info on p-dog hunts. It looks like tornado alley could be called p-dog alley also. Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska, and the Dakotas are all populated with the firing range fun targets! Outdoor Life listed the hot spots in these states by county. The closest one to me is the panhandle of Oklahoma with Texas and Kansas hot spots on either side. Central Nebraska was the biggest area of 137,000 acre of p-dogs averaging about 10 dogs/acre= 1.4 million estimated population. I have a buddy that has a couple of uncles that live there and he is dieing to get out with his 22-250! I think its time to reload more ballistic tips!;)

· Banned
835 Posts
cajungeo,
The thing that struck me as a devoted critter gitter is the amount of ammo you list. We easily shoot 120-170 rounds each of .22-250 or.223 per day here.
As to rimfire, well a minimum of two boxes of bulk 550 ct is minimum per day!

Have a great one!

SD

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok you guys talked me into more ammo. Will be hunting about 4 days total. You think 400 rounds will be enough?

My back up gun is a 10/22 with a couple of bricks of ammo.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Cabellas for my ATV. I'll post pics when I get the goods, and mount them. I'm getting really excited about this trip. Leaving 1 wk from thursday.

· Registered
10,504 Posts

· Banned
835 Posts
Ok you guys talked me into more ammo. Will be hunting about 4 days total. You think 400 rounds will be enough?

My back up gun is a 10/22 with a couple of bricks of ammo.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Cabellas for my ATV. I'll post pics when I get the goods, and mount them. I'm getting really excited about this trip. Leaving 1 wk from thursday.
Consider a little more .22 rimfire ammo. It takes up little space /weight and can contribute a ton to a great varmint dispatching outing!
I always seem to go to the 1022 much more than I think I will when planning!
Three maybe four bricks for as many days as a minimum.

SD

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Can you get the ATV truck pack for the back rack? You could lay your sand bags across for a instant bench and ammo storage!http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...chall&N=4645&redirect=true&cmCat=search_redir
I bought a Coinco Box from Walmart for $19. It is sturdy. I can sit on it, but not stand on it. Now to attach it to the rear rack. I can use it with bi-pods for a standing/leaning rest.

I'm taking 160 rnds of Winchester 45 grn Varmint, and ordered 250 rnds of Hornady 55 grn V-Max for my Mini. I'm also taking 3 bricks of 22 LR. 2 bricks of Dynapoints, and one brick of Federal for the 10-22.

My Mini has a 4-9x40mm Leupold VX-1, and Harris 9-13" bi-pods. I'm taking 3-20rnd, and 3-30rnd PMI mags, 2-10 rnd Pro-mags, and 2-5 rnd Ruger mags.

My 10-22 has a Simmons Pro-Air 4-12x40 with AO. and target knobs. 9-13" B-square bi-pods. I'm taking 3-50 rnd, and 1-25rnd Ramline mags, and 5 BMX-1's.

It may seem like a lot of mags, but I can do a lot of shooting before reloading. Also I don't want to have mag problems and end up with only 1 or 2 that work. By the time I reload, My barrels will be cool and ready for another round. :D
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/game/default.htm

· Registered
10,504 Posts
+1 on the high cap mags, the 1st year I took my mini to a p-dog field it seems I did alot of reloading 5rd mags till I brought out the 2 -30 rd mags!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.