Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of discussion on this site about folks short on guns, mags, ammo, loading components and I thought I was all okay until now.

I have more than enough of everything except powder for x39 loads. I have tons of brass (and primed steel case) and projectiles. However, most of my many pounds of powder are more suitable for .223, .308, 30-30, 30-06 and pistol calibers. I do have 1 or 2 pounds of 1680 and CFE Black each and maybe 2 of IMR4198 and H322. Anyone like RE-7 or LT 30?

To help me and maybe others out here looking for the best powders for x39, can anyone out here give YOUR top choices. Yes, I do have and consulted the load manuals.

BTW, I'm also up to buying larger (8 to 16 pound) canisters if need be. Gunbroker seller has 16 pound bottles of a surplus type- FSP-680 that might work well enough.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Been reloading the 7.62x39mm since the late 80's. Long before it was fashionable. I'm a 4198 guy. Used the IMR for a few decades exclusively. A few years back I switched to the Hodgdon brand. Same excellent accuracy ....higher velocity at lower pressures. Still have a pound or so of the IMR laying around. I'll use it up eventually.

Other than that.....I can't help you.

Bepe

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been reloading the 7.62x39mm since the late 80's. Long before it was fashionable. I'm a 4198 guy. Used the IMR for a few decades exclusively. A few years back I switched to the Hodgdon brand. Same excellent accuracy ....higher velocity at lower pressures. Still have a pound or so of the IMR laying around. I'll use it up eventually.

Other than that.....I can't help you.

Bepe
Thanks for the info.. Do you have an idea what velocity you are getting with your load?

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I only load 7.62x39 for hunting. Can't compete on price with the commercial steel case stuff. I use AA1680 exclusively. I don't like Reloader products. The cans are too tall for my shelves.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thanks Bepe. So, are you loading a compressed load? I have done a little of that in a few other calibers but try to avoid it when I can.
The Nosler data says 103% case capacity in the Lapua Brass. I've loaded a bunch of Lapua and never really felt any compression or crunching when seating the bullet. I also use the PPU brass. That is not as thick as the Lapua and probably has a hair more capacity. Same there. Never notice any compression.

I load at 25.5 grains of the H4198 for a standard load. The max H4198 listed in the Hornady Manual is 25.7 I believe. I just keep it at 25.5.

If using IMR4198 the max load is 24.6....I load at 24.5 for years. Velocity of the IMR versus the Hodgdon is about 200 fps slower. Excellent one hole accuracy from both but lower velocity. The IMR is good but I much prefer the H4198.

If all you can find is some IMR 4198...I would grab it.

Bepe

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
I only load 7.62x39 for hunting. Can't compete on price with the commercial steel case stuff. I use AA1680 exclusively. I don't like Reloader products. The cans are too tall for my shelves.
Seems like there are 2 go to powders for the 7.62x39mm. I'm sure many will work but the H4198 and the AA1680 seem like the two that standout.

Many here that use the AA1680 and swear by it.

I have no experience. Just never felt a need to go looking any further than the 4198.

I've heard some good rumblings about the RL7 also.

Bepe

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,601 Posts
My go-to powders for 7.62x39:

For 110gr to 135gr projectiles
- AA1680
- Shooters World SBR Socom D063-01
(SBR Socom D063-01 is comparable to AA1680, but a bit faster burn rate)
- Hodgdon CFE BLK

For 140gr to 150gr projectiles
- AA2200
- Hodgdon CFE BLK

AA1680 can send a 125gr spitzer/spire point SP, or balistic tip bullet in excess of 2500 fps from an 18.5" barrel Mini-30. Just find the accuracy sweet spot +/- a few 10ths of a grain from 28 grains.

29 grains of AA2200 will send a 150gr spitzer/spire point SP bullet in excess of 2290 fps from an 18.5" barrel Mini-30

I haven't had any experience with loading H4198, but I plan to once things get back to normal.

At this writing most everyone is out of stock for powders and primers except for the pirates on Gunbroker. I'm taking names of those sellers. Making a list, checking it twice. Gonna find out who's naughty or nice.

I've got thousands of rounds of factory 7.62x39 ammo of every kind, so I'm not a high volume handloader. I like experimenting and optimizing the cartridge on a small scale with projectiles ranging from .308 to .311, and weights from 110gr to 150gr.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the reloading gods smiled down on me! I found a guy who had an 8lb. bottle of Accurate 1680 for a very decent price. I snatched it up quick.
For what I paid, it comes out to approx. 11.5 cents per round for the powder. Luckily I got a ton of primers, projectiles, and cases for very cheap before this rush on components came around. That will keep total cost per round to something I can live with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts