Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been working on this stock for a few weeks now, as the old body permits. I've been wanting a SCAR stock for the longest time (who hasn't) but, the cost has prevented that. So I came up with a goofy idea of making a stock that would be similar. I've named it the PMT stock (Poor Man's Tactical).

Here is a few pix of the stock in its current state. The Choate stock has had lots of sanding and a coat of primer to highlight the lines as I sanded. I'll update as I progress. Still have a few other things to do. It is close though, to having another solid coat of primer, with a little light sanding, another coat of primer then paint. Still trying to figure out if I want to use Duracoat or not.

Will be using 6 postion M4 style buttstock from Nordic. The buttstock will be in tomorrow (actually today), and its picatinny rails.

Right profile of the stock. As you can see, I've removed all the checkering from the fore grip and pistold grip. Also removed all the mold lines and smoothed out the stock. Choate stocks are not known for being too nice. They are actually pretty rough around the edges but, they do get the job done.

A closer look at the buffer tube housing. When I got the stock, the housing wasn't level. There was a 8-12 degree downward slant to the housing. Choate said they changed the design because of complaints from customers who were using open sights. Wish they would have updated the pic on their website or made it clear in the description. I would have gone with a Butler Creek and a pig nose. Had to re-drill the screw holes and then slowly build up a bed of epoxy for it to sit on. Once the epoxy setup, pulled the screws, gave them a coat of epoxy and torqued them down. Then I started the slow process of filling in the gaps with epoxy. In order for the epoxy to cure. I had to do a little at a time. Gorilla epoxy is not worth the $6! Sets up soft and rubber like.

Another shot of the housing at a different angle.

A comparison shot. The top stock is the Choate Folding Stock. Bought it back in 1987. Still like new. Its actually never been used. Don't care for folders. I've still kept it though. Might come in handy for some horse trading some day I figured.

You can see the difference though between the two stock. Which are from the same mold. As I mentioned, Choate stocks are a little rough around the edges. It takes a bit of work to get them into shape. I refinished another Choate stock that is currently on my Mini-14. Took a lot less sanding. Think Choate has changed the plastic just a little.

Here you can see the checkering. never have liked it so I decided to remove it from the new stock. Lots of careful Dremel work. The end result is actually a lot more comfortable. Its now thinner. Thinking of using a slip on Hogue finger grip. Just might be a nice addition.

Lastly, a shot of the two rifles, showing the bottom of the fore grip. You can see on the folding stock, the heavy mold lines. Took quite a bit of sanding on the new stock, to remove them. Will be installing a 11 slot Magpull picatinny rail with a AVG2 on the bottom. Also installing a Magpul 9 slot on the left side of the fore grip. And maybe the same on the right side. Will depend what hand guard I use. If I use the factory, I may have to use a 5 slot on the right. If I go Choate, I'll be able to use the 9 slot. Toying with the idea of an Amega Scout Rail. I'd be able to use a 9 slot if I go that route. The scout rail would be a nice addition and would bring the whole stock close to the look of the SCAR stock.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Awesome work!

Similar work has been done to the M1A/M14 stocks. A shotgun adjustable stock was used....Mako, ATI 870, etc....

Sub'd to see the outcome.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome work!

Similar work has been done to the M1A/M14 stocks. A shotgun adjustable stock was used....Mako, ATI 870, etc....

Sub'd to see the outcome.
Thanks, its been a fun project so far. Stock and rails did come in today. Getting those installed shortly.

Its pretty cool to hear/see peeps creative side, when it come to making stocks fit their rifles. There was a cool thread not too long ago of a Sparta stock that one of the forum members did a great job on.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Parts came in today...Got the buttstock installed and it will do the job for now. The picatinny rails installed with ease. Six hole's and done. I'll be using epoxy to secure them better to the stock.

And the right side. Used a shorter rail on the fore grip. If I want to use the factory hand guard, the rail won't be in the way.

The AVG2 went on very tight to the rail. Actually had to use my rubber hammer. Was a little surprised about that. But after I took it on and off a couple of time, it got better.

Used my mini-14 to see what a rifle looked like in the stock. Not too bad. A little bummed I have a little drop still on the buffer tube housing. I'll have to live with it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Awesome ingenuity!

Range report with video....:lol:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome ingenuity!

Range report with video....:lol:
When I get a little extra ammo in stock, will do.

There is still more work to be done on the stock. Pistol grip needs to be filled with spray foam, then sealed up. Primer and paint. Leaning towards Duracoat. If I can get some local, that would be a plus. I hate paying the extra shipping charges for stuff like that.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And the sctual rifle that will be in this stock. My 189 series Mini-30. Totally changed the rifle's feel. Going from its wooden stock to this one. Me thinks, I didn't do too bad on this build so far. :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a good looking build. Q - the AFG looks really close to the mag well. Does it get in the way of mag changes?

I dunno if anyone carries DuraCoat locally, but you could hop over to White City and see if NIC will sell you some air cure CeraKote. NIC Industries - Leading Manufacturer of Performance Proven Coatings
Thanks Doc!

It actually doesn't but it is too close. Just kind of tossed it on out of excitement I installed a 11 slot rail, lots of room to move it forward.

There is a shop in Oregon City that caries some. Keep forgeting about Cerakote.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It would probably interferem, or come really close, with the 30 round KCI mags.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It would probably interferem, or come really close, with the 30 round KCI mags.
It is moveable....and with my USA 30 rd mags, very, very close. I moved it forward earler and tested. Happy, happy happy.

I put it on yesterday just to see what it looked like. Out of total excitement. Like a kid in the candy store.

And, I actually leveled the housing and removed the remaing drop out of it.. It was bugging me and I coudn't just let it go. It had to be level! :)

Will snap of a pic of it no shortly.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Updated Pic: Moved the AVG2 a little more forward and also leveled the buffer tube attachment. It was driving me crazy.

Anyone out there woked with KG 1200 Air Cure? If you have, what was your experience? I'd like to hear about it. Might be something to tray on the stock.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Anyone out there woked with KG 1200 Air Cure? If you have, what was your experience? I'd like to hear about it. Might be something to tray on the stock.
I worked with it years ago when it was a prototype basically. It was OK, but only OK. I'm sure they've improved on now after some of us gave OK feedback.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I worked with it years ago when it was a prototype basically. It was OK, but only OK. I'm sure they've improved on now after some of us gave OK feedback.
Thanks for the info Doc. I'm really giving it some thought about rying it. The key is heating the part. Which isn't that big of a deal. I have a nice heat gun that will work.

At $12 per 4 oz isnt' too bad. And from what I read, it will be pretty easy to apply.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice build. Would this be able to take any AR type aftermarket stock?

Eric
Yep, it sure will.

Right now I have a Nordic buffer tube and buttstock on it. Will switch out to a Magpul buttstock at some point.

Its turning out to be a fun project so far. Its all ready for primer and paint. Hopefully that will be soon.

·
USMC 75-79
11 Posts
This is cool, very nice job. I have just started on my first Mini 14 and when I traded for it, it came with the Choate Folder. I have a wood stock and different handguard coming for it. Plus all the pieces to take it back original, as long as a SS 183series came with a wood stock.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.