Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Polytech m14/s and was trying to remove the flash-hider and experienced a rather difficult time trying to remove the d**n think. The flash-hider looks like a standard GI minus the bayo lug, which had been milled off, has no cast parting lines, looks forged with milling marks like I’ve seen on standard GI. I removed the set screw and the castle nut backed off ok without any effort but the problem arouse while trying to knock the unit off of the barrel. It will not budge at all and I did some serious banging on it to get it started off of the barrel splines. I know you need to keep backing the nut off as the flash-hider slides off along the splines but I cant even get it to move at all!

Is there a trick I need to now about or has anybody else had this problem and what did you do to make this chore easier. Any comments appreciated at this time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, Mix,

There's really nothing different about the M14S "FlashHider." That's why the USGI one works fine.

One of my Norincos was a b*tch to hammer off. I ended up using a fairly heavy hammer and a piece of 1x3 as a buffer. It's a hammer used to tighten/loosen knock-off sportscar wheel hubs.

When you say "cant even get it to move at all" I'm assuming the referent is the F-H rather than the castle nut!

------------------
Best regards,

Walt Kuleck
Fulton Armory Webmaster

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another thing may be occuring; On "Pre-ban" rifles the castle nut is just like any other M-14; on "Post-ban" rifles (inter years)'91-93) the castle nut was welded (Generally just a spot weld was used). I know that sounds obvious but look anyway. Rifles brought in after '93 don't have any provision for a F-H. Hope this helps

------------------
Mancos Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.