Perfect Union banner

Have you ever broken the firing pin in your Mini?

• Broke it shooting berdan primed ammo and replaced by Ruger free of charge with difficulty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Broke it shooting boxer primed ammo and replaced by Ruger for a fee without hassle

• Broke it shooting berdan primed ammo and replaced by Ruger for a fee without hassle

• Broke it shooting boxer primed ammo and replaced by Ruger for a fee with difficulty

• Broke it shooting berdan primed ammo and replaced by Ruger for a fee with difficulty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The recent "poll" was a great idea, so I thought I would expand on it and make it easier.

The title says it all, lets see the results!!

There are multiple submitions available for those of you that have multiples.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Owned three, still have two. One for 22 years and the other 25 years. And I haven't yet.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DOH! :eek:

Just realized there wasn't room for a "never broke it, shoot a mix of boxer and berdan primed"

For those of you that do, lets put that one under the "never broken, shoot berdan primed"

·
Registered
397 Posts
DOH! :eek:

Just realized there wasn't room for a "never broke it, shoot a mix of boxer and berdan primed"

For those of you that do, lets put that one under the "never broken, shoot berdan primed"
This would be my case but I ain't checking "never broken, shoot berdan primed" gotta fix the poll!

x I never broke it, shoot a mix of boxer and berdan primed"

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just a thought.....would lots of dry-firing without some type of dummy round/snap-cap
cause a firing pin to break? What say experts?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Broken firing pin after less than 500 rounds of Federal XM193.
The difficulty was sending the rifle back to Ruger on my dime and having them replace all the trigger parts Gun Doc had worked for me.
I still really like my Mini (especially after Gun Doc bedded it and reldid the trigger) but now own a couple ARs that I can procure parts for. I haven't really warmed up to the AR, but I won't have to sit and look at a stack of 5.56 for 3 weeks if my Mini ever craps out again.
If I could buy parts for the Mini I'd sell the AR and buy a second Ruger

·
Registered
190 Posts
Broken firing pin after less than 500 rounds of Federal XM193.
The difficulty was sending the rifle back to Ruger on my dime and having them replace all the trigger parts Gun Doc had worked for me.
I still really like my Mini (especially after Gun Doc bedded it and reldid the trigger) but now own a couple ARs that I can procure parts for. I haven't really warmed up to the AR, but I won't have to sit and look at a stack of 5.56 for 3 weeks if my Mini ever craps out again.
If I could buy parts for the Mini I'd sell the AR and buy a second Ruger
Are you saying that you had a trigger job done by Gundoc and Ruger replaced all the improved trigger parts while servicing the broken firing pin??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are you saying that you had a trigger job done by Gundoc and Ruger replaced all the improved trigger parts while servicing the broken firing pin??
Yup, back to stock parts :angry:
Gun Doc offered to redo the job for free, but I had him do his bedding, trigger, buffer & gas port package after i'd shot it a while. I couldn't let him pay for Ruger's policy of not selling spare parts to local gunsmiths. He's a quality guy.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That is very disappointing, Paul. Kudos to Gundoc for his generous offer.

I had a very hard time coming back to Ruger after Bill's asinine behaviour during the AWB years ago. I swore off any new Ruger acquisitions. As far as I'm concerned he betrayed not only his loyal customers but all firearm owners in the country.

I'm an M1A fan and the Mini-14 was an attractive option for a compact rifle of a similar nature. As much as I like the little autoloader I believe my love affair is now officially over. I just cannot abide a manufacturer with a policy such as this one.

Ruger apparently believes Mini-14 owners should have no other options outside those offered by Ruger alone. There is, however, one other option available to the enthusiast... one which I am compelled to exercise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
father has had his since the 80s, not one part replaced, i have had mine for a couple years, no parts replaced, bought used in excellent condition. 196 series

·
Registered
519 Posts
196 series police buy-back (used by the police-had the number on the stock when I bought it!). To my knowledge everything is original except rear sight windage detent, and an elevation detent spring. Oh, and handguard, I put a choate handguard on it. I still have the original though.

I ONLY shoot brass/boxer primed ammo. XM193, Federal .223 or Remington .223, or reloads using CCI/winchester primers.

Nothing else.

·
Registered
397 Posts
woodchuckssuck:lol: Where in NY are you?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tried to fix it, no luck.

Back to the top!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts